AP Language

My daughter is doing French3 now. Next year if she does AP French or community college French class, I believe she’ll get college credit.

If she does not do any further language, will she have to take language again in CSU/ UC as gen ed requirement?

The 3 year recommended language for UC is for credit or a criteria for CSU/UC admission ?
Pls enlighten me on this.

CSU/UC minimum requirement is 2 years. UC’s recommend 3 years to be competitive. Taking AP French could fulfill a language GE requirement depending upon the campus and major.

For the UC’s, AP French will give 5.3 semester units or 8 quarter units towards French Language and Culture.

Some UC’s will not allow AP credits to be used for GE requirements so you need to check each UC campuses AP policy.

https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/admission-requirements/ap-exam-credits/ap-credits/

ie. UC Davis
AP credit cannot be used to satisfy the campus general education (GE) requirements, except as they may be applied to the English Composition component of the Literacy with Words and Images requirement.

CSU’s are usually more generous but again check each schools policy on AP credits.

1 Like

This. The requirements seem to vary somewhat by school I checked, but passing the AP exam seems to do the trick. At Sac State 3 years in HS is also sufficient, but SDSU wants 4 years in HS. See Foreign Language Graduation Requirement (FLGR) | Sacramento State and Graduation Requirements for the Bachelor’s Degree - San Diego State University - Acalog ACMS™ She’ll probably need to check on the website of each CSU she is considering

You have to check each campus for its foreign language graduation requirement. Some or all of the following may be options, depending on the campus (or division at the campus):

• Sufficiently high AP score.
  • Completion of high enough level college course.
  • Completion of high enough level high school course.
  • Sufficiently high placement by the college’s language department.