AP Math Credits

<p>I’ve taken the AP Calculus BC test and scored 5, which will give me 8 credits for MATH 125 and 126. Today when I was looking at course listings I noticed that some of the classes (like CS 120) have prerequisites of MATH 112. Can I take those classes without taking MATH 112 since I have credits for MATH 125 and 126? (MATH 112 is one of the prerequisites of MATH 125 and 126.)</p>

<p>Also, any suggestions about choosing interesting humanities and fine arts electives?</p>

<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

<p>You have definitely satisfied the prereq. You will have no problem signing up for the CS class.</p>

<p>Fine Arts:</p>

<p>Honors Fine Arts and Parody
Honors Fine Arts of Tuscaloosa
Honors Behind the British Mask</p>

<p>Humanities…</p>

<p>What AP credits are you coming in with? You may not need many/any Hu credits.</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>I have Calculus BC, U.S. History, Macro- and Micro-Economics and Chemistry credits.</p>

<p>Your major is Marketing and you’re an Int’l student! Welcome! And, you were awarded the Presidential Scholarship! Congrats!!! </p>

<p>When will you arrive in the US?</p>

<p>Please post in our Roll Call thread if you haven’t already. I know the title asks for what state you’re from, but don’t let that stop you. :slight_smile: Just tell us what country you’re from. :)</p>

<p>You’ve got…</p>

<p>8 credits MA Cal I and II
6 credits HI HY 203 and 204 (this also completes your 6 credit sequence ***)
6 credits SB EC 110 and 111
8 credits N Gen Chem I and II (depending on score)</p>

<p>OK…for your Core Curriculum…</p>

<p>6 semester hours of written composition (FC).</p>

<p>6 semester hours in 300- and 400-level courses, preferably in the student’s major, approved for the writing (W) designation. The (W) designation indicates that one of the conditions for a passing grade is that students write coherent, logical, and carefully edited prose in a minimum of two papers, at least one of which will be graded and returned before midsemester. All (W) designated courses are taught and graded by instructors who have at least the master’s degree and preferably are limited to an enrollment of no more than 35 students. The (W) requirement must be satisfied with courses taken on this campus.
6 semester hours of one of the following:</p>

<p>6 semester hours in courses that are approved for the computer (C) designation. These courses either substantially integrate the application of appropriate software or require writing computer programs. Students must make extensive use of the computer as a condition for passing the course. Courses approved for the (C) designation assume that students have a working knowledge of the computer.</p>

<p>or</p>

<p>2 semesters in one foreign language (FL). A grade of “C” or better must be earned in the first-semester course of the two-semester sequence that fulfills the requirement before the student will be allowed to enroll in the second semester course. Students with two or more high-school units of a foreign language will be assigned to foreign language courses by the foreign language advisors on the basis of placement test scores. Students placed into FR 103, SP 103, or intermediate courses (FR 201, SP 201) will satisfy this requirement in one semester.
Note: These 6 hours are in addition to the requirements for humanities or mathematics.</p>

<p>12 semester hours of courses approved for the humanities and fine arts (HU, L & FA) designations, to include 3 semester hours of courses approved for the fine arts (FA) designation and 3 semester hours of courses approved for the literature (L) designation. Each student must complete a 6-semester-hour sequence in either literature or history. ***</p>

<p>12 semester hours of courses approved for the **history and social and behavioral sciences (HI & SB) designations, to include 3 semester hours of courses approved for the history (HI) designation. Each student must complete a 6-semester-hour sequence in either literature or history. *** ** </p>

<p>11 semester hours of courses approved for the natural sciences and mathematics (N & MA) designations, to include 8 semester hours of courses approved for the natural sciences (N) designation and 3 semester hours of courses approved for the mathematics (MA) designation. This mathematics requirement must be satisfied with MATH 110 or higher.
Preprofessional, major, and/or elective courses applicable to the student’s declared major program of study. Students are to consult with their major departments/program areas for specific course designations that fulfill this requirement.</p>

<p>A course may be used to satisfy only one core requirement. For example, if a course carries a designation for both foreign language (FL) and humanities (HU), it may only be used to satisfy one of these core requirements. An additional course or courses must be completed to satisfy the remaining requirement.</p>

<p>A student may satisfy some general education course requirements by demonstration of competence on a proficiency examination such as the CLEP subject examination.</p>

<p>Review of general education (core curriculum) courses is an ongoing process. New courses may be approved and added to the list of those that meet core curriculum requirements. The Core designations for existing courses may be discontinued. A course carries general education designation if the course is approved at the time the course is taken. The student must consult the general education designations as found in the appropriate section of the schedule of classes booklet to ensure that the general education designation is in effect at the time the course is taken.</p>

<p>General education credit may be earned for courses taken at another institution, provided the courses transfer as the equivalents of courses that have been approved for general education credit at The University of Alabama. The (W) requirement must be satisfied in courses taken at The University of Alabama.</p>

<p>Your posts are so informative, M2CK, that I wish I could gather them into a book!</p>

<p>Thanks for all your information, mom2collegekids!
I don’t know how you knew it…but yes, my major is Marketing. I’m from China. I was an exchange student last year and lived with a family in Alabama. I loved it!
I’m planning to go back to the states at the end of July.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>It’d probably be a best seller, at least among UA parents.</p>