AP over other extracurricular activities

How important is JV soccer compared to taking AP’s? My daughter is spending too much time on JV soccer this year. Next year she will be taking AP exams and not sure if she should drop out of Soccer. Thanks.

If she loves soccer, soccer is more important. If she studies all along for her AP classes, she should be able to do both.

4 Likes

AP is not an extracurricular. It’s part of academics. No college is looking for AP at the expense of EC’s

2 Likes

Thank you.

It is a fair question to ask if an EC is consuming so much time that it will impact academics, especially if the EC is not one that the applicant excels in or is really passionate about. That having been said, I can’t see playing a sport having that impact unless there are a whole bunch of other time consuming EC’s or other commitments.

For questions such as this I am generally of the opinion that students should do whatever feels right for that particular student. Then find a university that is a good fit for whatever the student has done.

This assumes that “responsible behavior” and “taking academics seriously” is a given, and that “whatever is right for the student” does involve something that is constructive (which could be either an AP class or a sport).

This has worked out so far for us. We still have one daughter thinking of attending some (so far unspecified) graduate program in the future so I suppose we still have yet to see how well it works next time that it comes up.

3 Likes

How many APs did she take this year, if any? How many honors?

I’d look at increasing the rigor from this year to next but not at the expense of a sport she likes unless she’s truly struggling academically or the sport is exposing her to risk. What you are describing sounds like normal time management stuff, which is important to work on in high school.

The presence or absence of jv soccer will have no impact upon college acceptance. Do it only if she loves it

2 Likes

What’s the end goal ? One doesn’t need to load up on APs to get into college. Bit that depend on the college.

If you’re on the CC, you need everyone.

For most schools in America, however, you likely don’t need a single one.

Given that there is no context about whether the student is incapable of doing well in both the unspecified AP courses and playing soccer, it is impossible to give much of an answer.

But students who are aiming for the colleges that get most of the attention on these forums (i.e. the most selective ones), doing well in the most rigorous available courses (which are AP courses at many high schools) and excelling as some extracurricular activity (like sports, but could be something else) may be what most unhooked applicants need for admission.

1 Like

Op’s child isnt exceling at soccer. She is on a jv team. Fine if she enjoys it, but it is the same level as being a member of any club

That’s why I asked the end goal - ie what type of schools.

It’s hard to answer without knowing.

Hi Skieurope,

Can you please see why i can not send a personal message to some one on this forum. Please let me know where i should look in order to send personal message. I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Sending a PM