AP scores in relation to Pre-Med

<p>So the new AP scores are in and my son scored a 4 for AP Bio. Since he’s pre-med, should he skip the first Biology or take it?
He made a 4 for Cal B/c with an AB subscore of 5. He’s signed up for Calc1H now, should he skip into Calc2H?
What are some experiences your students have had with this?
Thanks,</p>

<p>My son is pre-med. He’s a rising junior.</p>

<p>With a 4 in bio…he should retake Bio for a couple of reasons. First of all, AP courses don’t count for pre-med, so he’d have to take higher classes anyway.</p>

<p>He will likely get A’s if he retakes, so that’s a big plus</p>

<p>Also…a 4 suggests that he did well, but may not be strong in all the Bio areas that are necessary as a pre-med student who’ll be taking the MCAT.</p>

<p>It’s TOTALLY fine for him to skip Cal I and go on to Cal II. </p>

<p>What’s his major.</p>

<p>I would not use the AP Bio score and instead take the intro biology course for an easy GPA boost… For Calc, use the score to get out of Math 125 (calculus). </p>

<p>Btw, do you need one or two years of calculus for medical school?</p>

<p>Many med schools require 1 semester of Cal. Some expect Cal I & Cal II. Some want to see Stats, too. Some will accept AP for calculus.</p>

<p>Harvard med for current applicants requires 2 semesters:</p>

<p>Mathematics</p>

<p>One year of calculus is the minimum requirement. Advanced placement credits may satisfy this requirement (Calculus AB = 1 semester, Calculus BC = 2 semesters).</p>