AP Scores post to UW Madison Records?

<p>wis75: Do you know when retro language credits get ‘added’ to a student’s total/transcript? I know that the student must take the class (for example Spanish 226) placed into in order to get the credits for the previous classes (16 credits), but since registration for the next semester is prior to the current semester’s completion, just when do those retro credits get applied?</p>

<p>Madison85, students do not need to take the class they placed into to get retro credits. In order to get the MAXIMUM possible retro credits, they do, but many opt to go one class lower, get 12 credits instead of 16 (for example), because they’re more confident they’ll struggle less and get the B that is required (and usually higher if they went for the more comfortable option). They are applied like any other class at the completion of the semester with a successful “B” grade in the language of choice.</p>

<p>Thanks, MNBadger; I was hoping that as in the 1980’s the next semester’s registration took place after the previous semester was completed (and retro credits applied). So it sounds like a freshman today (without many AP credits) won’t have sophomore standing by second semester (if relying on retro credits). (When exactly is registration for the Spring semester)?</p>

<p>I looked up info on the UW Registrar’s office site (I’m lousy at links- good practice anyhow for students to look things up like I had to), much more informative than trying to get info out of one’s student child.</p>

<p>Last fall students were to receive their invitation to register Nov 3, with seniors able to begin online as of Nov 11, jrs Nov 13, sophs Nov 19 and fr Nov 25. They said they could drop classes for insufficient enrollment if not enough enrolled by Dec 12, last day to register was in late Jan. Didn’t see when AP credits were added to transcripts but I think it is before registration begins. Returning students were able to register in April for fall. Also- all holds had to be taken care of first- this includes current semester tuition payments and library fines (they offered a no fines grace period during finals week so students return library books- found this out when I lugged a duffle full of books to the nearest library when son was packing during his freshman spring moveout- there is no convenient way to do so with a car, parking…; he now manages that task as we are approaching campus).</p>

<p>They did state that foreign language retroactive credits were given during the next term- in other words not in time to change class standing for the next semester’s registration. This makes sense as registration begins before the semester ends and they can’t know the grades yet. This is not the same as being allowed to register for the next class in a sequence.</p>

<p>Long gone are those unwonderful days of crisscrossing the campus from the Fieldhouse to the Red Gym to get signatures in January’s cold. So easy to make schedule changes with computers, and to know in advance. Plus, returning students register for fall long before SOAR. Curious- anyone know when (which year) they went to the computer registration? I know they recently dropped the paper timetable so the only format is online now.</p>