Apartments - finally transferred.

<p>So I finally transferred to Wisconsin, attended last weeks SOAR program and since then I've been staying in a motel. I've been on the hunt for apartments daily but it's not as easy as I thought, not to mention this long weekend bumping in. I've been searching consistently everywhere online. Was able to see a couple of apartments, but I either see it slightly over priced for its location, or too small or some other thing. Also, I tend to try to read online reviews about the apt i'm going to see, but I seem to be reading more negative reviews than positive in most of the apartments that I see, mainly concerning the management (leasing office). Anyone recommend a reliable management I can deal with. Last question, Madison, in general, is it a safe city?</p>

<p>Thank you</p>

<p>Nobody in Madison likes the landlords. Iy's pretty safe but you can't be stupid. Lock the doors and windows. Don't walk home alone at 3 am unless you are a big badass.</p>

<p>Don't be too picky for a student apt near campus- rents will be high- location counts. You are not getting the prime apts- those were leased this time last year. Also, don't obsess about online comments- most students will not bother posting unless it is to complain. Sometimes one can have too much information. You are only renting for a few months, you are not buying. The most important item would be any roommates if you sublet, otherwise you can live with just about anything available since it will have to comply with city codes.</p>

<p>You may have already thought of this but try Craigslist. Seriously, we found the wonderful first floor flat we have now on there (independent landlord). I was in the same situation as you only last year- had to find a quick place to live and had to do it in a weekend. We saw a couple of dumps and lost out on one place that, in hindsight, was too small for us- and this was in November!. The Madison housing market is pretty crazy, and there are a lot of unsavoury places around campus. There is no way I would pay those prices to live in some of those rat traps. Craigslist at least also has some sublets so if you just wanted to find something for the spring semester and then move on.</p>

<p>Have you also tried just driving around neighborhoods and calling up places that have a For Rent sign attached? I live in the Willy-Marquette area and saw a number of For Rent signs on my way home today- in the neighborhood between Williamson and Lake Monona. There is a bus route that runs right through the neighborhood (free pass as a student) and plenty of shops and restaurants and bars.</p>