Apartments

<p>Now that D has a place to live next year as a Sophomore (RCW), I say it’s high time we stop slacking and take care of junior year. Kidding. (Mostly.)</p>

<p>I’m just wondering if anyone has any insight into apartments out there that are nice, but not on the radar as the usual suspects (East Edge, University Downs, Woodlands, etc.). I know there are off-campus housing websites and all, but was curious about your experiences. </p>

<p>Headed to T-town soon, and was going to swing by some just for grins. </p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>I love this idea Busymom64. For parents that are not that familiar with Tuscaloosa, a recommendation and a bit of insider information would be welcome! I’d love to hear pros/cons, cost, furnished, walking distance from campus, close to X type of information too!</p>

<p>I planned to do this at move out time as well. Any insights are helpful.</p>

<p>i am not sure i would want to do this at move out time. seems we are always pretty busy with other things at move in and move out.</p>

<p>honestly, this is probably something the “kids” could handle on their own (the looking at places). my second daughter who lives in an apartment now (freshman at another school) found her place for next year on her own. they just need some guidelines. </p>

<p>really, they can do a lot of things on their own … if you let them.</p>

<p>^ Ditto,</p>

<p>I suggested to my son he ‘start’ looking at some places and knew I was planning on a trip to town over the President’s Day weekend, I figured he could narrow the list and I could go with him to finalize things.</p>

<p>When he saw the Woodlands before the holidays he knew that was his choice and when he called to tell me about them, I said I had some questions that I needed answers to, like what the average utility utilization was.</p>

<p>He responded that since he already knew what I would ask, he’d already done it and had the answers for me, and he did, he had answers to every single one of the questions I would have asked. It made me incredibly proud of him!</p>

<p>After knowing how much thought he put into the process, I trusted his opinion and signed the lease before ever seeing the property.</p>

<p>Just to clarify, I have no intention of doing it for her, I just thought I’d see if perhaps y’all have had some good experiences off the beaten path a bit. I’m going to be there anyway and if i have the chance, I thought I’d cruise by a couple simply in order to be conversant about them.</p>

<p>Interest isn’t always helicoptering.</p>

<p>My D lives at The Woodlands and really likes it. The apartments come furnished, so that was one less thing to worry about. They have a lot of amenities and she always feels safe. It’s super convenient to Target! Never has a problem with parking. Utilities can also be included, with a cap. She has gone over the cap couple of times, but it’s never been more than like five bucks. They have a shuttle to campus. I don’t think she’s ever used it, but it does have a regular schedule. She’s never complained of noise. Her area seems pretty quiet. Any specific questions, feel free to ask :)</p>

<p>Thanks Rose. About how long does it take for her to get to a parking spot on campus?</p>

<p>She said she never has a problem finding parking. She always manages to find parking in the smaller, closer lot that she likes to park in, but there are other bigger lots a little further out that she could go to if she doesn’t get one in her preferred lot. Some times are busier than others, but it’s never a problem.</p>

<p>My D lives at the Woodlands as well and it is a very nice place to live. Her only complaint is the distance, which if you are going to be on campus several times a day/night(she works there, too) can be a tiresome journey with parking and all. We love that the apartments are furnished, and pretty nicely I must say. The complex is clean and relativly safe.(as campus apartments go)</p>

<p>D thought she might move closer to campus next year only because of wanting to walk and not drive everywhere. She looked at some properties but I wanted to take a look before she signed a lease and I was appaled at what I saw. I met with two different property management companies who between them own 30+ rentals around campus. I would not put my dog in most of these properties, let alone my child. Can you say slumlord? Filthy, disgusting carpets, which I inquired about and was told they would be cleaned but not replaced. They were worn to the pad, several years old, yuck! And this was just the begining…After two days of touring several complexes, I know my D has the best apartment complex she could live in and has agreed to stay on for another year. So glad I made the trip just to see what was available, a real eye opener.</p>

<p>Busymom,
I think it comes down to what is most important to your D.
Our daughter graduated in May of last year and had a variety of living arrangements and experiences, starting with Honors housing in Ridgecrest.</p>

<p>Next she went to Midtown Village - great amenities, very nice appliances, granite countertops and spacious. Very nice features and space. The management company and people onsite were a disaster and the smallest thing that needed repair often took weeks and numerous repeated follow ups. Getting to campus, though she went the back way over the train tracks, had to be timed just right to get to her parking lot.</p>

<p>Her final spot was right behind the strip at Morgan II. Quite old, worn carpet, laminate countertops, very small and pricey. It was noisy and parking was a premium, friends that visited had to park in church parking down the street. Management company - Wright Hurd was a dream. Very attentive, helpful and always willing to do whatever was needed.
BUT it was her FAVORITE of all…why…she wanted to roll out of bed, stick on a baseball cap and be in class in 5 minutes and she wanted to be in the thick of everything during gameday…and believe you me she was!!!</p>

<p>Next fall DS is headed to East Edge - hoping for a happy medium for amenities, new place and still able to walk/ride bike. We’ll see how that works for him.</p>

<p>BUT in the end…its just like buying a house…what are “must haves” and what are you “willing to compromise on”. Good luck with the hunt.</p>

<p>That’s a great comment, what are the must haves and willing to compromise.</p>

<p>I’m fretting so much over my son moving from his three year room in Riverside West to Ridgecrest South/South.</p>

<p>But, in the end, they ended up there because a good friend will be a floormate. To them, that was a “must have”, someone they knew on the same floor.</p>

<p>They’ll be further from their classes (engineering) and will have smaller quarters, but I’m hoping they’ll live with the difficulties to have a friend nearby.</p>

<p>I do appreciate your input about the apartments and am following this thread, as son’s best friends had to move off campus, and I’m hoping to get input for them about pros and cons of nearby apartment complexes.</p>

<p>Montegut- my S is in RCS and is in engineering. He has no issues with the distance.</p>

<p>montegut, you are worrying WAY too much!</p>

<p>having to move from riverside to ridgecrest is not a huge tragedy. plenty of engineering kids have lived there and survived … or thrived, my daughter included.</p>

<p>built in exercise (extra walking) can only be a good thing!</p>

<p>^^^I know, I know, Mike. I really am. Kind of freaking out here as lots of life changes going on right now. Sorry I’m pounding y’all with all my questions, but you’re my support group, and I don’t express these concerns with him because I am so proud of him being willing to make a change!</p>

<p>I am happy about the exercise, and son has indeed enjoyed the fruits of that while living on campus. </p>

<p>As we will be looking for apartments for the summer for an internship (fingers crossed!), I’m tuning in to this thread to know what things to look for when looking for summer and grad school housing.</p>

<p>does he have a lead on an internship?</p>

<p>i would bet that he could sublet from someone with a 12 month lease if he needs to be in tuscaloosa. if not, then idk but i am sure it will work out.</p>