Appeal letter to Haverford college

Hello I just got rejected from Haverford college. I would like to send an appeal letter to the admission office, but I don’t know how and what to write, so anyone can help?.
And has it ever happened Haverford accepted someone after rejecting them?

Do they even accept appeals? Most private colleges do not. And the few that do will only review if there was an error in the application

4 Likes

I don’t know if they do, should I just email them?

I personally think you need to move on from Haverford.

But if you want to…talk to your high school counselor and see what that person says. Usually a rejection means exactly that. But your school counselor might be able to reach out to admissions to find out the weakness in your application for admission.

But please…start looking at the other colleges to which you applied. Think of all the reasons why they would be terrific places to attend college.

My opinion.

9 Likes

If there is no process for appeal on their website, assume they don’t. Time to move on. There were just too many qualified applicants aiming for a limited number of seats

4 Likes

Haverford is my dream college, even though I applied to other schools, it is my first option so moving on is quite difficult for me now.
I am an international student, so my school counselor doesn’t know much about this process.

I am going to send an e-mail and hopefully something will happen.

2 Likes

Well, that explains a bit. International acceptance rates are 50-70% lower than the overall rate.

Be prepared for the “something will happen” to be a response that decisions are final. Good luck with your other applications

4 Likes

I’m sorry, but nothing will change.

Haverford is highly selective. As an international who might have needed financial aid, your chances were super slim to start with.

Think of it this way: Why do you want to attend a school that doesn’t want you? It’s time to pick yourself up and move on.

7 Likes

Allow yourself a few days to be sad and then start getting excited about other options. It is hard to be passed on by a school, so be patient and you will start to feel better. Do you have applications in at schools in your home country? Are you asking for financial assistance from the US schools? If yes, then it is even harder to gain acceptance and you shouldn’t take it personally.

9 Likes

This.

2 Likes

I don’t have any application in my home country schools, and Haverford is really generous, there are two people from my country studying at Haverford and they got fully funded scholarships, so I am not sure if my financial needs were the problem.
I assume my application wasn’t good enough for Haverford.

One can’t just appeal because they didn’t get in. Most don’t get into Haverford.

Colleges have to pick and choose.

For Haverford, only a small % of students are international and they are need aware meaning your finances impact your admission chances.

Your mistake was having a dream school. There is no such thing.

What is your basis that they made the wrong decision ?

1. It’s your dream school ?

2. Others you know from your country go ?

3. The school is generous ?

You have zero basis to appeal. If they allow appeals, you’d need a basis, something that would significantly change your overall application.

Most students, even domestic, are rejected at Haverford.

Move on. There’s lots of other schools out there.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Haverford meets financial need for the limited number of international students they accept….but the number IS limited.

I hope you have some sure things for acceptance and affordability on your list of pending applications.

And I do agree…apply someplace in your home country.

2 Likes

Don’t waste your time. There is no such thing as an appeal letter after a rejection at US colleges. You need to move on to other options.

What other US schools did you apply to? What are your stats? What do you want to study? Do you have any options in your home country? How much can your family afford to contribute yearly towards college for you? Even this late in the year, there might be other US options for you.

I got accepted to two now

4 Likes

Love the school that loves you back.

13 Likes

You need to move on from Haverford. I am happy to see you have two well-funded acceptances so far.

There are not many need-blind schools for internationals. Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Amherst, Bowdoin, Dartmouth I believe. Other schools are “need aware” so while they may provide aid to some international admittees, it is extremely competitive. Some schools also offer merit aid.

So yes, financial needs can play a role. Congrats on your acceptances!

3 Likes

Great that you have two affordable acceptances. Now…just wait and see what else comes along.

3 Likes

I would agree that sending a letter isn’t going to change the decision.

I’m not sure how “Haverford was the first option” turned into an EDII rejection, but a rejection and not a spot on the waitlist tells me asking the school to reconsider won’t change the decision.