Appealing for UCs?

<p>Has anyone had any experience with that? Just found out that I got rejected from UCSC, which was my top choice. D: I’m really interested in appealing, though… What would I put into the appeal, though? </p>

<p>Any comments, experiences, advice welcome.</p>

<p>Do you have any new information or accomplishments since you submitted your application? Upward grade trend? wonder if they'd look at recs, even tho they don't generally do that.
Can you honestly state it is your first choice and if admitted you'd attend?
Can you make a personal visit and met with an admissions officer?
I really don't know the ins and outs, but seems like those things would be of interest. I did hear though that appeals are generally more successful at smaller schools.
These are just some general ideas to get you started with your research. I don't have any peronal experience or knowledge of specifics for appealing at a UC.
Good luck to you. I hope you have some back up schools that you applied to that you'd be happy to attend and can afford.</p>

<p>Thanks very much for the info and encouragement. :)</p>

<p>2 people at my school last year appealed to UCSB and they got in and they both went there.</p>

<p>just saying, it's possible. i don't think they did anything either except write a sincere letter stating that they really wanted to go to UCSB for blablabla reasons.</p>

<p>That's always good to know. :O I've heard that appealed students getting in is very rare at UCSB. Dunno if it's the same for UCSC.</p>

<p>Do you know about how long their letters were and anything else they included in it?</p>

<p>How exactly would you go about appealing a school? I know nothing of the process.</p>

<p>from reading on ucd, you just write a letter saying why you want to go there, any change and progress youve made, anything you didnt put in your apps, and mail it to them.</p>

<p>Well I just read on the UCSB site that they wont be able to respond with decisions until after may 1st. Anyone know how that works, if someone were to get accepted?</p>

<p>It should be the same for the other UCs. UCSC says pretty much the same stuff as UCD.</p>

<p>At this point, I think teachers can write letters of recommendation, so I would probably have teachers write convincing letters, and show evidence that senior year hasn't been a total party. My friend appealed his rejection from Cal last year and he was accepted. The numbers are pretty dismal, but not many people try to appeal, so you might be able to stand out if you try.</p>

<p>actually, on the UCD website it says "You must write the appeal; an appeal written on your behalf (by a parent, counselor, etc.) will not be accepted. Appeals will not be accepted by phone, fax or e-mail, and interviews will not be granted." So letters of recs are not allowed...</p>

<p>Well, yes, you definitely have to write something yourself. But I'm under the impression that you can use a letter of rec to supplement your appeal.</p>

<p>The appeals process varies among the UCs. Most will ask for a personal appeal letter and supplementary material (letter of recs, transcripts, etc.) are usually allowed.</p>

<p>The Letters of Rec aren't necessary, but I'm assuming they'll help. Like the other said, though, they definitely won't just accept only a letter of rec without an actual letter.</p>

<p>not sure if it's true but i've heard from someone that if you keep sending appeal letters over and over again eventually they'll admit you. apparently it's worked for some but i've never tried it, nor have i known anyone that has. basically it shows you REALLY REALLY mean your appeal, as in you really wanna go to their school..and they give in? i don't know if some should clarify on this..if i knew about this last year i would have done it for berkeley.</p>

<p>^Highly doubt it. The appeals process has a deadline so you wouldn't be able to send in a second appeal after they had already respond to your first.</p>

<p>I don't want to discourage anyone, but a letter saying "I really want to attend..." is not a valid reason for appeal at any Univ, incl the UC's. THe appeals process is to clear up something left out of the application, add somethings that will improve your application (new awards, improved gades, etc.)
Getting a denial reversed to an acceptance is extremely rare, and lots of students appeal, so yours will not be the only one.
Again, I don't mean to discourage anyone, but the appeals process is not extremely hopeful unless you have extenuating circumstances.</p>

<p>Right. It's worth a shot but don't get your hopes up if you don't bring a valid reason to persuade the adcoms.</p>

<p>This might be an odd question, but would they believe certain personal/health reasons, such as depression and suicidal thoughts, without medical proof/notes? I am just wondering how they distinguish between people that seem to be making up a story and people that genuinely may have had those problems contribute to their obtaining lower grades.</p>

<p>the appeals process isn't as hopeless as it seems
my friend appealed to UCSB with nothing big really
and she got in</p>