Appealing the Financial Aid Award Package and Re-Evaluating OOS and get In State tuition.

<p>I currently live in the suburbs of Chicago, Illinois, and it has always been my dream to attend the University of Wisconsin-Madison, but it is going to cost me approximately $34,000 a year to attend, ($5,500 from fed sub/unsub) and my parents expect to pay approximately $10,000, regardless of where i attend. Thus, leaving me with $24,000 to pay. I have appealed my award letter based on special circumstance in my home, both my parents lost their jobs, my mom will not be around for 6 months, leaving my dad with my 3 brothers and everything to pay for, so i found it plausible to try and appeal the letter because my life and home have changed drastically in the past few months. (They said that they'll get back to me in about 3-4 weeks and that was 2 weeks ago, and i have to make my decision my Thursday, May1st, I am currently committed, and enrolled for the 2014 Fall semester but there is no penalty for withdrawing before May 1st)</p>

<p><a href="http://registrar.wisc.edu/residence.htm"&gt;http://registrar.wisc.edu/residence.htm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>The other thing is the Out of state and in state tuition, I currently have a condominium in Lake Delton, Wisconsin (about 40 miles outside of Madison) and do have my name on multiple tax and utility bills from the state of Wisconsin, and i most definitely plan to live in Wisconsin after university, it is where I have always wanted to live. So i was wondering if it would be plausible to ask for a reevaluation. I mean it couldn't hurt...right?</p>

<p>My father is pushing me to attend the University of Illinois-UC because, with everything i received there it has come out to about $24,000 and my parents plan on paying $10,000 (again) so it would be about $14000 for me. Now, the issue is, is that I absolutely hate everything about UofI, but Madison is where I have always dreamed of going, it has an amazing campus, faculty, city, everything i need. </p>

<p>The final idea was to go live in the condominium in Lake Delton, Wisconsin and to go to Junior College and work until i would be able to apply as an in-state resident. (a Semester or 2)</p>

<p>Please give any advice and suggestions on what you believe i should do and the possible success of my ideas. Thank you.</p>

<p>Unless you dont go to school at all and work at least a full year it won’t work and that’s still not certain to work if they think you are doing it to get instate tuition. Owning a property is not sufficient at all as many in Illinois have second homes in Wisconsin. </p>

<p>Sorry to say, far more factors go into determining in-state residency for tuition purposes. UW is not going to re-classify you as in-state for tuition purposes and financial aid to out of state students is not its mission. UIUC is a great school, embrace it and move on. </p>

<p>Faculty at IUUC every bit as amazing as at UW. Ok, Urbana does not have State st, but it does still have plenty going on. I would say the bigger challenge is where you are going to get the $14k you are short as students cannot borrow that much on their own. I would suggest sitting down with your dad and going over numbers and financial aid package from IUUC. It is hard to give up a dream but UW is not financially feasible for you. Many many students are grappling with this right now, you are not the only one. Good luck, and congratulations on your acceptance to an excellent school in your home state. </p>