Appealing with "new and compelling" information

<p>What is considered at “new and compelling” information? The UCSD site says that:</p>

<li>the recent death / declining health of family member
2.the applicant was was a victim of a crime or tragedy</li>
<li>the applicant was displaced for currently faced extraordinary family disintegration</li>
<li>the applicant has serious health diagnosis and cannot leave the area</li>
<li>the applicant is a recent caregiver for a dependent parent</li>
</ol>

<p>But really, so I say that now I work 2 jobs and my mother was in a serious health condition back in sophomore year - it ain’t gonna cut it? </p>

<p>Does anyone know anyone that appeal and go into UCLA, UCSD or…well any college is fine?</p>

<p>"But really, so I say that now I work 2 jobs and my mother was in a serious health condition back in sophomore year - it ain't gonna cut it?"</p>

<p>Right. An applicant has an opportunity to write about his/her hardships when applying and appeals are for new circumstances that have occurred since applying.</p>

<p>btw, i heard that if you appeal to two school - then you don't get it. but then also there was a girl who appealed to both UCLA and Cal and is not happily attending UCLA. </p>

<p>Do schools know that you appeal to other schools?</p>

<p>No, that's a rumor.</p>

<p>dntw8up, I'm sorry if I'm going to make you repeat what you already said, but I just want clarification.</p>

<p>So for me, writing about hardships I could have explained on my application in November but chose not to will not count as a basis for an appeal? When they say "new and compelling," does it really mean something that has happened since the application was submitted? And in conclusion, should I just forget about appealing the schools I wanted to and choose between the ones I got offers from?</p>

<p>If you think you have a good point, do appeal, don't back down. I think from what I read they do make mistake. For example for UCSD, someone listed his volunteer hours but they ignore it, not giving him credit. I'm not sure why UCSD thinks it's ok.</p>

<p>How should this be written in terms of length and format. Are there any websites with examples of appeal letters. I don't even know how to start it off..</p>

<p>ADvice to OP</p>

<p>-follow the appeal link on your rejection notice and follow the instructions. </p>

<pre><code> For most college appeals, your going to want a 350 word essay, your tanscript including senior year grades, as well as two teacher recommendations.
</code></pre>

<p>In your letter, just focus on the issues that you want to stress such as your sophomore year experience. Talk about how much you want to go to the college, and end with a thank you to the admins. I am not sure your hardship will move them that much unless you had good grades all 4 years cept sophomore year.</p>

<p>Hi Debbie.</p>

<p>"So for me, writing about hardships I could have explained on my application in November but chose not to will not count as a basis for an appeal?"</p>

<p>Correct.</p>

<p>"When they say "new and compelling," does it really mean something that has happened since the application was submitted?"</p>

<p>Yes.</p>

<p>"And in conclusion, should I just forget about appealing the schools I wanted to and choose between the ones I got offers from?"</p>

<p>Yes, and congratulations on having some choices!</p>