Application--> Essay??

<p>Is there an essay to complete??! I am so confused.</p>

<p>Yes! Your personal statements!</p>

<p>They require two essays. I think one is regarding how you would enrich the community and the other is any additional you want to share-something to that effect.</p>

<p>I believe the essays are in the Madison-specific section.</p>

<p>There are three essay or essay-like questions:</p>

<p>A) Briefly explain (in 50-100 words) how you decided which activity in Item #48 was the most important to you</p>

<p>B) The University of Wisconsin–Madison values an educational environment that provides all members of the campus community with opportunities to grow and develop intellectually, personally, culturally and socially. In order to give us a more complete picture of you as an individual, please tell us about the particular life experiences, perspectives, talents, commitments and/or interests you will bring to our campus. In other words, how will your presence enrich our community?</p>

<p>C) If there is additional information you would like us to consider in reviewing your application, please share this with us as well. This is your opportunity to tell us things about yourself that have not been asked elsewhere, if you believe they will help us become acquainted with you in ways different from courses, grades, and test scores.</p>

<p>Part II:</p>

<p>Essays are generally the best way to personalize an applicant. Because UW application only allows three chances to do that, make your every word count! Don't merely state accomplishments or activities already listed elsewhere. Write stories detailing why and how you got there.</p>

<p>My tips/Suggestions for answering the specific questions.</p>

<p>A) Don't just write "XYZ is most important because I am so good at it". Go deeper. Try to demonstrate a real interest or passion. </p>

<p>B) If you cut-n-paste from your application for XYZ, make sure the essay doesn't read "Ann Arbor" or something like that. :) For those who want to show "I did my homework", try to learn and appreciate what UW has to offer with some serious research on UW website. Hopefully, the exercise will reveal how and where your own unique experience can contribute.</p>

<p>C) Don't use this section to explain/justify how you screwed up. Admit your mistake or less-than-perfect-whatever-record AND HIGHLIGHT YOUR PROGRESS. If you have a perfect record thus far, consider leave it blank or throw in another good story/life experience. Read tips for B.</p>