Application Release Date

<p>Hi guys, my son is a Texas high school junior who is interested in applying for out of state admission to UA. The UA website states that he will qualify for the Foundation in Excellence scholarship which will certainly help offset some (but not all) of the out-of-state tuition premium.</p>

<p>I’m curious as to how soon will the application be live for applicants to the class of 2016. It would be really nice if next year he can get the application process out of the way for UA so that we can have the decision in hand very early during his senior year. Also, does anyone know how long it takes for the admission’s committee to render a decision? My son’s GPA (3.7 weighted) and SAT score (1970 composite with 1300 combined CR and Math) appear to meet the admission requirements.</p>

<p>The application goes live on July 1st and decisions will start being made in mid August. For students with stats like your son, decisions take about a week, often less from when all application materials have been received or mid August if applying really early.</p>

<p>Thanks @SEA_tide, I think my son plans on getting the app in as early as possible. It will be nice to have such good news early on in the fall of my son’s senior year. :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Do you happen to know the timeline on making a decision on the Honors College? My son’s stats won’t guarantee him admission; however, I think he will apply for admission to the Honors College.</p>

<p>I highly recommend that he retake both the SAT and ACT to see if he can improve his score. In addition to potentially getting him a larger merit scholarship, he will have a much better chance of being admitted to the Honors College. Students who do not meet the criteria for the Honors College are rarely admitted into the Honors College as incoming freshmen and instead have to wait until they qualify as a current student. A student who qualifies for the Honors College as an incoming freshman stands a near certain chance of admission provided they apply to the Honors College.</p>

<p>Yes, he is going to retake the SAT this Jan and then take the ACT for the first time around Feb. As I stated at the beginning of the thread his combined CR & Math subscores is 1300. However, most of that came from the CR where he scored 720, in contrast his Math score was only 580. Clearly, there is a lot of room for improvement on the Math section and hopefully he’ll do better overall on the ACT. </p>

<p>Definitely have him practice that math section.</p>

<p>When he takes that ACT, he may do better on the math since ACT math is less tricky…but he needs to practice the science section because that may be new and tricky for him. The answers are in the charts.</p>

<p>Thanks @mom2collegekids, I plan on purchasing the Real ACT Prep Guide so he can do as many practice test as possible. I actually suspect that the format of the ACT maybe to his advantage in comparison to the SAT. He will take the ACT in Feb and then possibly retake the test at the very beginning of his senior year. That way he spend the summer months taking as many practice tests as possible in advance of his ACT re-take date. Since his scores already are good enough for admission purposes, we were hoping to simply send in the second batch of ACT scores in the fall if we need to for consideration of a higher scholarship (UA Scholar) and/or Honors College admission. I know we can send in supplemental scores for scholarship consideration purposes. I’m hoping we can do the same respecting determination of Honors College admission as well; however, we will have to check the applicable deadlines for decision on that one.</p>

<p>Your son already qualifies for the HC, so no worries there.</p>

<p>Really? Just to clarify @mom2collegekids, is admission to the Honors College automatic so long as you meet the minimum admission requirements? Or, are the admission minimum requirements just the floor for consideration for admission with acceptance thereafter being a competitive process?</p>

<p>Also, if you don’t mind educating someone who is clearly ignorant of the process, what are the admission requirements generally for HC?</p>

<p>You’re in if you meet the requirements listed below.</p>

<p><a href=“http://honors.ua.edu/admission-to-honors/”>http://honors.ua.edu/admission-to-honors/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Future Students starting Fall 2014 may apply to the Honors College after they have been admitted to The University of Alabama. Admission to the Honors College requires a 28 ACT or 1250 SAT and a minimum 3.5 high school GPA. You will be notified of your acceptance via email. (If your test scores are below the Honors College requirement, you can be admitted later after you have successfully achieved a 3.3 in your college coursework.)</p>

<p>Wow, that’s great news @ilmomof2boys, my son has the requisite high school GPA (3.7) and SAT subscores (1300). That might be a deciding factor in favor of Alabama, especially if he can improve on his SAT test scores and qualify for the UA Scholar award which will go a long way to defraying the out of state tuition premium.</p>

<p>Hopefully the cutoff for automatic admission will not change much for next year’s class when my son submits his application.</p>

<p>^^
Your son will get admitted and will get into the HC, no problem there. Your current goal is to help him raise his scores to get better merit. Getting an ACT 30 or SAT 1330 can really make a difference.</p>

<p>What is his major?</p>

<p>If you or your spouse is good at math, sit with him while he does a couple of ACT or SAT math sections and see where he’s making mistakes. Is he making “dumb mistakes” or is he not answering the question exactly how it is asked (correct form, etc). Often, kids get Math questions wrong because they won’t finish answering the question or they won’t have it in the right form. They will nearly finish working a problem and then they’ll see that the number is one of the choices, and they’ll select it…even tho they aren’t finished working the problem. </p>

<p>When he signs up for a test, there is usually an option for you to pay a little more and then you’ll get his answer key and a copy of the questions later…so he can see exactly what he got wrong. </p>

<p>Did your son take the PSAT? If so, he should get his results soon. I see that he is AA…so if he did well on that, he could make National Achievement!</p>

<p>(I see that you’re considering Penn State and hoping for merit or financial aid as an OOS student. You won’t get any or much. Run the Net Price Calculator on PSU’s website and see. PSU is notoriously bad even with instate students…so even worse to OOS students who get charged soooo much.</p>

<p>Right after the JoPa issues, PSU was afraid that its apps would drop so they did some one time merit awards for about 3000 (lol)…and people were thrilled because it was so unheard of. </p>

<p>Yes, @mom2collegekids he did take the PSAT at around October and I think the scores will be released sometime either this month or next month. </p>

<p>I’m not surprised that PSU does not offer much merit aid. We both were a little iffy on applying to PSU given that there was no concrete info on their website regarding merit aid unlike Alabama, University of Kansas, ASU and Arizona. Given what you’ve stated above, its likely we will have to eliminate PSU from consideration.</p>

<p>My son is intent on majoring in History thus we’ve already discussed the need for him to go on to graduate or professional school. Therefore, its really essential that we limit the amount of student debt that he incurs. If he can get admission to our state flagship school (University of Texas) then I’m pretty sure I can finance his education without any need for student loans. If not, based on his GPA (3.7 weighted) and current SAT subscores (1300), we are looking for a reasonable and affordable out of state option, hence we are considering Alabama, Kansas, ASU and Arizona because the merit aid he would qualify for would bring those schools out of state tuition costs down to a reasonable costs in comparison to our baseline, (the in-state tuition costs for the University of Texas).</p>

<p>I wish we didn’t have to be this practical minded about his collegiate choices, but that’s the reality of the situation. I’m just glad that he fully understands this and he is totally onboard with this line of thinking . A few years ago, he honestly would not want to have anything to do with UA. Now, he proudly wears a UA hoodie to high school as it is at the top of our short list for out-of-state alternatives to Texas.</p>

<p>@fatherof2boys, back when my son was in high school, I too wished his choices did not have to rely so much on our finances and the fact we need to look out for younger siblings, however, it has been a great experience. My son truly did not have a comprehension of finances and budgeting before.</p>

<p>Please go visit and set up your day through the Honors College. Many students have moved UA to the top of the list after a comprehensive visit.</p>

<p>@fatherof2boys Since Texas first enacted the Top 10 rule, UA has been very popular with students from Texas, many of whom pay full OOS tuition, because UA offers the experience of a large state flagship at an affordable cost compared to many other OOS state flagships. In fact, if one was to look at all the front license plates at UA, almost half of them would read “Texas [number] Truck” as AL/MS/GA/TN/FL do not require front plates and a lot of the vehicles from Texas are Ford F-150s or other trucks.</p>

<p>@SEA_tide, the guaranteed merit aid certainly helps. My son is at the Excellence level right now and he needs an additional 30 points to get to the UA Scholar level. </p>

<p>I have to say, I was absolutely shocked to learn that a majority of the entrants to Bama’s freshmen class last year were from out-of-state. Coming from Texas, that’s truly shocking to hear that the state’s flagship university admitted a class where the native sons and daughters were a minority in comparison to the number of out-of-state students. You could fill the freshmen classes at both UT and A&M entirely with Texas high school graduates several times over.</p>

<p>This year the application went live on July 1.</p>

<p>The first acceptance letters were mailed to arrive after Labor Day. They were mailed earlier in previous years. The first ones acceptances arrived around 9/6 this year, and the first scholarship letters arrived around 9/8. The UA does not send email acceptances, but you can look at MyBama for clues of acceptance. Letters are sent via snail mail. The Honors College sends both email and snail mail acceptances.</p>

<p>This information may be useful to consider as it has been the timeline in the past.</p>

<p>Beginning on or around July 1</p>

<p>Application for admission, $40 application fee.
Submit transcripts, ACT, and or SAT. Be sure to submit a test that includes
Writing score. Priority deadline is February 1.</p>

<p>Student tab appears. CWID issued. Acceptance letter arrives via mail.</p>

<p>Scholarship letter arrives. Letter from college of choice arrives.</p>

<p>Apply to Honors College – once accepted, students who qualify may apply for admission to the Honors College. Admission is based solely upon stats, so the application is pretty simple. Any student who wishes to live in Honors housing must have applied and been accepted BEFORE room selection begins on May 1, so don’t delay in applying.</p>

<p>Scholarship application – once a student is accepted, the scholarship application is available to complete online. The scholarship application deadline is December 15. Don’t plan to wait until the last minute. The system may experience an overload and you may have an issue submitting at the last minute. The national December ACT and SAT test dates are the last test dates accepted for scholarships. The highest qualifying test score will be used to determine the scholarship level awarded. Although students receive a scholarship letter earlier, the official acceptance occurs in the spring on MyBama.</p>

<p>Pay enrollment deposit online. Enrollment deposit is $200 and is non-refundable. The system may take several hours to update before allowing the housing deposit to be submitted. Allow at least two hours between paying the enrollment deposit and housing deposit.</p>

<p>Check into programs such as Emerging Scholars, University Scholars, CBH, UFE, Blount, etc… Note requirements and deadlines.</p>

<p>Beginning October 1</p>

<p>Pay housing deposit and complete the housing contract. Housing deposit is $300. Request refunds in writing. $275 is refundable up until May 1, or $175 before June 1. The earlier the deposit is paid the better your chances of receiving your choice of housing. Students are not guaranteed a particular housing option. The deadline for submitting the housing deposit is April 1.</p>

<p>Set up a roommate profile and begin searching for roommates. I believe the system updates weekly. For the best results, the student (not the parent) should complete the profile with complete honesty. No one wants to find out the neat, non-smoking, non-partying roommate choice is actually an all night party animal or visa versa.:slight_smile: Don’t worry about being judged. Be yourself and find the best fit for you. Keep in mind that roommates don’t have to be best friends or carbon copies to live together.</p>

<p>If your student is NMSF, verify that all steps for completing the process are completed before the deadlines.</p>

<p>Around November 1</p>

<p>Bama Bound – students can register for Bama Bound after paying the enrollment and housing deposit. The deposit for Bama Bound is $120 for the student. Students usually reside in the dorm during Bama Bound. Parents have the option of paying to stay in the dorm. Parents are assigned to a different tower within RCS. Sibling orientation is also available for an additional cost for students with siblings. I think siblings have to be a high school freshman or older to participate. Linens are furnished for parents, but must be requested for students. BB is a good opportunity to measure if your student will be in RCS. Expect to find a twin xl bed with mattress, dresser, desk, chair in the bedroom, a bathroom with shower, and a fridge, sink, microwave, sofa, table, and chairs in the dorm. It isn’t like staying in a hotel, so you won’t have a tv, toiletries, or trashcan in your room. Staying in the dorm is convenient and inexpensive, but don’t expect luxury.</p>

<p>Make hotel reservations for BB.</p>

<p>Where should I live?
Determine interest and investigate deadlines for any living-learning community for which a student may have interest. Acceptance into Honors is required before selecting Honors housing. Students may also want to consider other communities such as Blount, which require an application process.</p>

<p>Here’s a link about living-learning communities:
<a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/new_students/living_learning_halls.cfm”>http://housing.ua.edu/new_students/living_learning_halls.cfm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Link to residence hall options:
<a href=“Halls - Housing and Residential Communities”>http://housing.ua.edu/halls/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Consider whether you’ll participate in Alabama Action, Outdoor Action, or Camp 1831. Watch for online applications to open and submit the deposit and criminal background check online.</p>

<p>March 1
Priority deadline for submitting Financial Aid forms.</p>

<p>Beginning as early as May 1 (depending on date of deposit)
Room Selection – students who wish to select roommates should have already made connections using the Roommate Finder or other alternatives. Students are able to select roommates, building, floor, suite, and bedroom during room selection IF they met the deadlines.</p>

<p>During the summer before arriving on campus:</p>

<p>June 1</p>

<p>Football tickets generally go on sale online around this time for entering freshman. Students go online to purchase one of two packages available to incoming freshmen.</p>

<p>Around mid-June</p>

<p>Move in time selection. Watch for the deadline to sign up for a move in time. Those participating in approved activities are allowed to move in early. Move in times slots are generally staggered incrementally and based upon the building/floor of the housing assignment. Students go online on a specified date to select their actual move in time. Move in at the UA is an amazing process. I promise you will be impressed. Simply pull up to the dorm and volunteers do all of the unloading and cart the student’s belongings to their room.</p>

<p>Make hotel reservations for move in immediately if you haven’t already.</p>

<p>Around July 1</p>

<p>Parking permits – these go on sale online around this time for students who plan to bring cars. Watch the Crimson mail for assigned times to purchase parking permits. If bringing a car from out of state, check with your state to see if the car will need an inspection or if a waiver is available. Most states allow waivers.</p>

<p>Immunizations – download the immunization form and make an appointment for immunizations and TB skin test. The form may be submitted during Bama Bound. Remember to allow time for the TB test to be administered AND read.</p>

<p>During the summer:</p>

<p>Set appointments for routine visits to orthodontists, dentists, ophthalmologist, dermatologist, etc. and have any prescriptions refilled. Consider a basic first aid kit with any allergy and cold meds your student may need. Students under 19 are prohibited from buying certain prescriptions in Alabama.</p>

<p>Register to vote and request absentee ballots if planning to vote in your home state.</p>

<p>Send final transcript to the UA upon graduation.</p>

<p>Send AP scores, dual enrollment transcripts, CLEP results to UA.</p>

<p>Plan several potential schedules before attending Bama Bound.</p>

<p>Students complete Alcohol Edu and Haven online.</p>

<p>Lay out an area based upon the dimensions of your chosen dorm room. If your stuff doesn’t fit, you’re bringing too much. The more stuff you bring, the more stuff you’ll have to store or move out. You don’t need everything you have at home.:)</p>

<p>Copy or scan important documents such as insurance and social security card.</p>

<p>These sites are helpful in identifying the deadlines and steps to follow throughout this process. Note that the dates listed are for 2014-15, so be aware the dates will be slightly different for freshmen entering 2015 or 2016.</p>

<p><a href=“Freshman Steps to Enrollment – Admissions”>http://gobama.ua.edu/steps/freshman-checklist/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“Freshman Steps to Enrollment – Admissions”>http://gobama.ua.edu/steps/freshman/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“Frequently Asked Questions – Scholarships | The University of Alabama”>http://scholarships.ua.edu/faq/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/new_students/freshman_residency.cfm”>http://housing.ua.edu/new_students/freshman_residency.cfm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/movein/checkin/signup.cfm”>http://housing.ua.edu/movein/checkin/signup.cfm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/movein/checkin/schedule.cfm?CFID=7500789&CFTOKEN=51780232”>http://housing.ua.edu/movein/checkin/schedule.cfm?CFID=7500789&CFTOKEN=51780232&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/movein/arrival/pack_tips.cfm”>http://housing.ua.edu/movein/arrival/pack_tips.cfm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/movein/arrival/policies.cfm”>http://housing.ua.edu/movein/arrival/policies.cfm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“http://housing.ua.edu/on_campus/com_living_standards.cfm”>http://housing.ua.edu/on_campus/com_living_standards.cfm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Thanks @bamagirls that’s the kind of detailed info that will assist me and my son in planning through next year.</p>

<p>Thank you so much for the guidance!!</p>