Applications for iPads, Macs, iPhones (how to take notes?)

<p>So, if student has one of each, how do they take notes in class?</p>

<p>What are the best wizz-bang applications that allow them to magically connect/sync all three?</p>

<p>WHat program do they use for a PLANNER?, and, most importantly,</p>

<p>HOW DO THEY VIDEO-CALL THEIR MOTHER??? (mother has an iPad Mini)</p>

<p>Signed, </p>

<p>Clueless in Houston</p>

<p>For note taking on a IPad, try downloading Notablility or Evernote. I use Notablility all the time and I love it.
I think you can also download an app called FaceTime for a video call.</p>

<p>I have Notability on my iPad and it is very easy to use.
Also have the Zyvex bluetooth keyboard and I swear my iPad is
better than using a pc w/ that.</p>

<p>A planner that syncs the three???</p>

<p>We are making appointments during the fall semester already and want to transition from her old method of a paper planner to an electronic ( is this even the terminology anymore?) planner she can access whatever device she is using…</p>

<p>Thoughts?</p>

<p>For synching calendars you can use the built in calendars and the free iCloud service from Apple. Some Apps (like the Reminders and other 3rd party apps) are also iCloud aware and will seamlessly synch between the other platforms.</p>

<p>The calendar won’t be great for assignment tracking. My son is looking at a couple and experimenting at home with them before he heads out in a few weeks. He is trying out iProcrastinate and iStudiez</p>

<p>For calling use Facetime or Skype…set it up and test it while you are at home.</p>

<p>I have both a laptop and a iPad, and I found during my freshman year at UA that it’s way easier to take my notes by hand. Unless there’s a compelling reason not to, I would highly recommend it. You don’t have to worry about synching, and you can note down illustrations/charts in ways you can’t do with an app. Also, some teachers discourage or don’t allow technology in the classroom - especially smaller courses, like English or Honors seminars. Just my two cents.</p>

<p>…So that when my son tells me that the University campus does NOT have the technology to support weekly mother/son video chats he is being untruthful with me?</p>

<p>Hmmm…I’m thinking NRDSON has paddled up the digital creek without a smartphone :slight_smile: I guess technically the “Campus” might not have the ability to provide video chats (on Campus owned computers)…but if he has a computer/tablet/smartphone with any sort of webcam you can at a minimum do skype…Hope NRDSON survives :)</p>

<p>Nrdmom, all I will say is that we chatted with D last year using FaceTime and by doing a hangout on Google+. :)</p>

<p>But…but… he seemed so, <em>regretful</em>!</p>

<p>For a planner, use Google Calender. I think there’s an iOS app for that, and even if there isn’t you can still access it from the web.</p>

<p>For chat, use FaceTime.</p>

<p>iCal is great for scheduling across different devices. But I don’t use it to list homework assignments or anything of the like. I use it purely to schedule everything in my life. </p>

<p>I still just write down everything in a Moleskine it just post the syllabuses on a corkboard.</p>

<p>For a planner app use iStudiez pro. It syncs across all of the apple devices and it easily keeps track of class times, assignments, and grades too.</p>

<p>Thanks to all!!!</p>

<p>Use Skype, it is definitely the way to go. You will be able to see your student and their room. They can give you a tour and you can tell if they have even changed their sheets. ( lol) </p>

<p>Seriously, it is nice to “see” them and assess their well being… are they getting enough sleep? Sick? Happy? You can tell these things much easier when you see them. It puts distanced parents at ease, I would suggest you set up communication schedules before they leave for college, so you all know what to expect. Some parents like weekly chats, others are okay with monthly. Unless, your child is extremely chatty, I wouldn’t expect daily calls, maybe a text here or there is more like it.</p>

<p>Please keep in mind that the policies for electronics vary significantly by professor. I thought I was being clever in trying to get e-books for all of the classes the boy was taking, and he told me early on in his first semester last fall that there were classes where he couldn’t use an iPad, laptop, etc.</p>

<p>For general note-taking, I cannot recommend strongly enough the [Livescribe</a> :: Never Miss A Word](<a href=“Livescribe :: Never Miss A Word - Livescribe – Livescribe Inc. (US)”>Livescribe :: Never Miss A Word - Livescribe – Livescribe Inc. (US)) as it works just like a normal pen and paper, but then also can simultaneously record the audio in the room, which is perfect for capturing the transcript of a lecture. On top of that, it syncs with a computer and can generate a PDF copy of the hand-written notes! This product is top-notch and well worth it to me. I use mine in the office frequently.</p>

<p>For keeping your schedule organized, the calendar app on most smartphones is sufficient. If you want to get a little more fancy, you can get an email plan for a small monthly fee with Microsoft that offers Exchange Activesync. All Android, iPhone, (and of course Windows phones) support this. By doing so, our whole family is on this plan and we can send each other calendar invites, etc. just like you would on a corporate system in the office. It is really slick and works exceedingly well. With Exchange Activesync, it doesn’t matter what devices you have and what brands. For example, you could have an iPad and an Android phone. If you add an appointment on the Android device, it will automagically show up on your computer (in Outlook) and on your iPad calendar as well. Very, very elegant solution and not at all expensive in the grand scheme of things.</p>