Applied to GWSB, got into CCAS as a Transfer, can I still internally transfer?

Hey guys,

Just got accepted to GWU yesterday, but not to my first choice on the CommonApp.

Does anyone know about the process for internally transferring to GWSB if I’m entering as a JUNIOR? It looks like I have to take UW1020 and two courses from a list of econ, acc, stat, calc. I’ve finished all of those except Calc 2 and Stat 2 at CC so i’d probably be taking Calc 2 and Stat 2 at GW to fulfill that requirement. I also will be getting myself exempt from having to take UW1020 as I have taken a very similar, if not higher level writing course at NVCC.

My main question is - since I am a transfer coming in as a Junior - is there some policy that will prohibit me from attempting to internally transfer? I can not find one - and it will be a huge factor I need to consider before paying my deposit.

Thank you in advance! @NHuffer if you have experience with this i’d appreciate it

To clarify, I applied to GWSB for Finance but was accepted to CCAS for Econ

You might want to call the school to ask because Finance majors at GW have to apply to be so in a separate application after they have already been accepted. Additionally, Finance majors in GWSB are required to have a second major outside of the business school, so I am not sure you would be able to fit all the requirements in time.

So this is actually a pretty tricky question- your best bet is to honestly call the school and get confirmation. To get some of those lower division prerequisites waived you will have to sign a few forms and get them signed by the head of each department.

https://registrar.gwu.edu/sites/g/files/zaxdzs2171/f/downloads/transfercredit.pdf

Make sure you do this right away! You also should attach a copy of the course syllabus from NVCC when you email the department head in order to get these credits transferred. This is a huge pain in the a**, but it’s really important to make sure you fight and get your credits transferred so that you can graduate on time. Some of the advisers here were complete knuckleheads in my own experience and I had to really fight to get my credits from NVCC transferred in. Also, even after transferring in you can still take 9 credits at another university and you can take courses at Georgetown, American, George Mason, Howard, and UMD, if a particular course is not offered at George Washington or enrollment, is limited. You could also pretty much take courses at Georgetown Summer Session…they automatically take GW kids and actually it’s a little bit cheaper than taking classes at George Washington over the summer.

Oh yeah and one more thing! It’s really important you sign up for classes early on…especially at George Washington. Courses fill up REALLY fast here and the last you want is to get a low rated adjunct. George Washington is a great university to get you started, and certainly has some great professors. Though, you need to make sure you’re the first one to sign up for those professors because I can tell you some of the adjuncts here completely blow and some of them just don’t like certain students and make it nearly impossible for them to get an A. On the other end, if you sign up for the better professors soon it really does make a difference. I really got a 50/50 mix each semester ever since I transferred and I can tell you it really does make a huge difference. In some upper division business and economics courses, I got completely grilled by the midterm or a few quizzes but still ended up with a B or A because I bounced back and had an amazing professor. A few adjunct professors I had the complete displeasure of taking because of limited availability really gave me hell the last two semesters. George Washington has a notoriously difficult statistics department…and even economics. A lot of students at GWSB and CAS econ are trying to get internships at the world bank…it’s a lot of brilliant students all trying to do the same thing so even signing up for classes and carefully planning your schedule is something you want to get on top of ASAP. It’s private school after all so people are really fighting to sign up for the best professors before anyone else so that they can make the grade and get great jobs or go the best graduate schools.

One caveat, I would like to add is that the economics and statistics department here are really tough. A lot of students in CAS econ and GWSB are trying to get internships at the IMF or World Bank- it’s a private school and it’s a lot of people from upper-middle class families who are trying to fight for the same internships, prestigious careers and spots at Ivy League graduate schools. As a business economics and public policy student who transferred from NVCC, I can tell you that my second semester at GWSB was a complete wake-up call. I got straight A’s in my economics courses at NVCC but really struggled once I started taking upper division statistics and economics courses such as intermediate microeconomics and econometrics. It’s really important to sign up quickly for those classes and do a lot research on the professors because that makes a huge difference. Ironically, for example, I got completely grilled on my intermediate macroeconomics midterm but still pulled a B in the course because I studied really hard and because the professor was awesome. On the other hand, in a comm class I had to take for my minor I ended up stuck with a horrible adjunct. She was mean to everyone and gave ridiculously hard tests for a comm class… a lot of students were pissed.

@Govegan1995 Yeah, I emailed admissions and they told me I can definitely apply to transfer once I get in and should have no problems as long as I meet the requirements. It looks like i’ll have to take Calc 2 and Stat 2 at GW this Fall and i’d be able to enter second semester junior year into GWSB. Kind of a bummer since recruiting season is NOW and this fall - but i’ll have to figure something out.

Thank you for the insight and helpful link!

You can still come to the career fair, though. There’s two different career fairs that are hosted each semester, one for the business students and one for everyone. But you don’t necessarily have to be in GWSB when some of the big four firms come to set up booths throughout the semester. For example, sometimes Deloitte and KPMG set up a booth in Duques Hall before the main career fair. I have friends who got into big four audit firms, for example, just by talking to people at the set up booths or connecting with alumni through LinkedIn. For stat 2 you can either take regression or econometrics. Both are very very similar courses and honestly about the same difficulty- for econometrics you want to take Robert Phillips and for calc 2 there’s this one Chinese guy that has like a 4.6 on my rate my professor and curves the crap out of exams. Don’t feel like you can’t start applying for internships- one thing I did is I just LinkedIn over like 300 people and about 15 came through. Now a lot of students go for the big 4: KPMG, EY, PWC and Deloitte and there’s a huge big 4 or bust mentality among GWSB students. However, not many know about MBB (McKinsey, Boston Consulting Group, Bain and Company). Those firms are arguably even more prestigous than the big four but you don’t necessarily have to go to an Ivy League school or even have a 3.9 GWSB to break into those places. If you network you a*** you’d be surprised your can still break into those places.

You can still participate in the campus recruiting events. I still highly recommend you come out and start connecting with alumni on LinkedIn. Now, there are two campus recruiting events each semester: one for the business students and one for all the other students. But even before the two main campus recruiting events there are booths set up throughout the semester from private and public sector firms; Deloitte and the other big four audit firms usually set up booths in Duques Hall throughout the semester and the biggest hiring cycle for the big four audit firms is in the Fall. You still should come out and connect with recruiters. I’ve had friends from Elliot and CAS who have networked that way or through LinkedIn. Now, for stat 2 you can either take regression or econometrics…they’re honestly about the same difficult but I highly recommend you take Robert Phillips. For calc 2 there’s this one Chinese guys that has like a 4.6 on rate my professor and curves like anything. Some hot places that are looking for GW grads other than obviously big four also include Northwestern Mutual (fortune 100), McAdam Financial, Capgemini Solutioms, Accenture, Booz Allen Hamilton, and even MBB to a certain extent. MBB (Mckinsey, Bain and Company, Boston Consulting Group) is arguably more prestigous than the big four but you don’t necessarily have to go to an Ivy League school or graduate 3.9 from GWSB to get into those investment banks. Boston Consulting group is ranked like #4 on the Fortune 100 list for 2018 and if you can get in there that will really make your resume in the top 1% along with a degree from GW. You’re gonna have to network your a** off to get into BCG but it’s definitey possible.

@Govegan1995 Thanks a lot dude! So I can attend the GWSB career fair with no problems? That was my main concern.

Also - I’m not really going for management consulting - last summer I did Market Analytics at Bloomberg (freshman summer), and since this march and through the summer i’m doing Corporate M&A/Strategy at a F300 tech/info systems/aerospace firm. Long term goal is to land in IBD doing Capital Markets/M&A OR doing Valuations (i’d do valuations at a shop like Duff & Phelps, at an Investment Bank, or at a big 4 (ex: PwC TAS, EY Valuations)); other option i’m strongly considering that I have prepped well for is corporate banking as a left turn if IBD doesn’t work out. I know a lot of students at GW are going to consulting.

@msport Ah, I see. I’m doing a paid internship as well at a small consulting firm in DC this summer; I’m really using it as an opportunity to segway into MBB or a big 4 firm. Now, you should be able to attend the GWSB career fair…just tell them that you’re in the process of transferring. There’s going to be two career fairs this fall. The first one is for GWSB students and takes place on September 20, 2018.

GW School of Business Fall 2018 Career Fair

Duques Hall, 2201 G St NW, Washington, District of Columbia 20037, United States
September 20, 2018 from 12:30 pm to 4:00 pm EDT

The GW School of Business Fall 2018 Career Fair will be hosted on Thursday, September 20, 2018 from 12:30pm - 4:00pm. Register to come and meet area employers who are interested in connecting with School of Business students. This is your opportunity to utilize your elevator pitch and gather information on…

GW Fall 2018 Career & Internship Fair (other students)

600 22nd Street Northwest, Washington, District of Columbia 20037, United States
September 28, 2018 from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm EDT

At the second career fair they take professional Linkedin photos so you definitely should attend the second as well; and also you want to walk by Duques Hall everyday from noon- 3pm. During random times before and after career fair, the big 4 audit firms and some other firms are always setting up booths for students (from all schools here). That’s a great chance to network and introduce yourself; also, you want to come across as relaxed but confident when you talk to these people. How you present yourself is a huge factor, and I would also connect with some students here on Linkedin and definitely read your resume to a few classmates and some professors; you don’t have to take everything they say as the gospel truth but GW Business is a top 30 school so it’s going to be really competitive.

Also, one caveat is the career center at GWSB is kind of a bust tbh. But’s that okay because it’s GWSB…the whole idea is everyone here is smart, kinda rich and have connections, etc so do it yourself, lol. And you don’t necessarily have to religiously follow the resume format that the give you in your transfer development class for GWSB transfers. Follow the format just to get the A but afterwards you can definitely save a few different copies of your resume. GWSB is not too bad for IB btw- I think you asked me about this earlier; though, MBB (Mckinsey, Boston Consulting Group) don’t recruit here as much as Georgetown. There’s always usually a couple of students that get into Goldman Sach’s semester but I haven’t seen too many get into BCG or Mckinsey. But that’s okay because GWSB is still a great school to get started you started and that’s what either grad school and or your first big job are for. Plus GWSB is definitely a feeder into GULC and Georgetown McDonough.