Applying credits to major/minor

<p>Hello! I am an incoming freshman and as of right now will be majoring in English and minoring in the Blount Undergraduate Initiative. I’m trying to pick classes to fill the gen. ed. requirements right now (specifically the required 6 credits of fine arts/literature/humanities). Since I’m an English major can the gen. ed. lit. requirements also count for some of the requirements for my English major or can you only apply credits to one requirement?</p>

<p>Also, I would like to minor in Spanish as well and was wondering if the language requirements for my English major could go towards some of the requirements for a Spanish minor?</p>

<p>Thanks for all the help!</p>

<p>General Ed requirements can count towards major
but only to a major or minor, can not be double counted.</p>

<p>BTW check difference between a minor and 2nd major
often only a few credits difference.</p>

<p>*Since I’m an English major can the gen. ed. lit. requirements also count for some of the requirements for my English major or can you only apply credits to one requirement?</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>You can use Gen ed req’ts towards your minor.</p>

<p>You may be confusing the rule about GE reqts. A class can’t count for more than one GE req’t. But, a GE req’t can be used towards a major or minor. For instance, the Frosh Comp classes can’t also count for the Humanities area. And, if a student only has 6 credits of a FL, he can’t also count it for humanities. </p>

<p>*4. 12 semester hours of courses approved for the humanities and fine arts (HU, L & FA) designations, to include 3 semester hours of courses approved for the fine arts (FA) designation and 3 semester hours of courses approved for the literature (L) designation. Each student must complete a 6-semester-hour sequence in either literature or history.
*</p>

<p>Since you’ll be an English major, you’ll likely already have the req’ts for Literature, but you’ll have to take a Fine Arts class.</p>

<p>*Also, I would like to minor in Spanish as well and was wondering if the language requirements for my English major could go towards some of the requirements for a Spanish minor?</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>Not sure what you mean. Are you asking if some of the Spanish courses that will fulfill the FL requirement for Gen Ed for your major can also be used for your minor? Yes.</p>

<p>Wonderful! Thank you for answering all of my questions gojack and m2ck!</p>