Applying for fall 2013?

<p>That would be very polite</p>

<p>I don’t know how many have changed to ED, but when we attended the Multicultural Open House a couple of weeks ago, there were several students who had already applied EA who said they would be switching to ED. Of course, this was after a substantial campus visit, so they were sure it was their first choice, but it was definitely more than 2 people. I don’t have any experience with them from years past, so I don’t know if this email is common practice for them, or if it indicates a smaller pool of ED applicants than usual. While I have seen statistics suggesting more students are applying to various schools EA, I wouldn’t be surprised by a drop in ED numbers because of the uncertainty of the economy. For middle class families, it is a significant commitment (even if you can be released if financial aid isn’t adequate).</p>

<p>There was a post on here that CC sent out the same message last year.</p>

<p>Interesting</p>

<p>I am very saddened to hear that CC is stooping to this level again with this tactic. They always send it right as you are feeling the most vulnerable as an applicant. If you go back and read some of my posts from last year you will see what happened to my S. He was asked to change his EA to ED and he did… only because he knew that CC was his #1 for a LONG time. I was against it, but let him go ahead with it only after he knew he could not go if the $ was not right. Shortly after that we were contacted by the FA office to send it some more documents. I am pretty sure that he was admitted by admissions at this point, but after the FA dept. took a good look at our need, he was sent out a deferral letter, and eventually denied.
I think they are trying to get as many full-pays in the ED round as they can so they can have more money to entice kids that they really want in the EA and RD round. Because my S is not an athlete, URM or rich, he is not that desired of an applicant in the ED round. He had a 3.7 UW and 2200 SAT’s.</p>

<p>I need a lot of financial aid and hopefully this won’t change early action as this isn’t binding.</p>

<p>thirdplanet… you are a smart girl( or boy) and you are doing the right thing by sticking to your guns and staying with EA. I think if you need FA it is the wisest choice. My DS ended up at a GREAT school that he absolutely fell in love with after he went on an accepted students day in April. He also got a $30,000 scholarship and the rest in grants… so NO debt. This is very important and NO school is worth going into massive debt for. Have a big list of schools that you would be happy to attend and don’t get set on one school. My DS was really disappointed that he didn’t get into CC… it was such a great fit for him, but guess what, he will be just as happy at the school that showed him the love. If you have any more questions about CC or any other school… feel free to pm me. It is a crazy process… and even more so when you need significant FA.</p>

<p>5boys- thanks for the personal story. I’m glad your son found somewhere he was happy. It is incredible how much strategy is in the process.</p>

<p>From the collegeboard website in its lists of drawbacks to ED:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Even back in 2007 when my Son applied EA to CC, the need for aid was an acknowledged factor in going ED.</p>

<p>I especially want to point out that a student who thinks she or he has a shot at merit aid REALLY needs to keep the college on the hook as part of their strategy. My S got the EA acceptance at CC, worked with the admission representative he had made a connection with earlier and went to the CC Scholars Day (with CC paying the airfare round trip) and only after getting informed that he had received the scholarship (with the amounts and terms) did he commit to CC. </p>

<p>He too came out debt free and with an 8th block inTaiwan his junior year at no extra charge and with CC paying the round trip airfare. He got CC to allow him to extend the return date of the ticket for nearly 5 weeks of back-packing around Asia after the block was over.</p>

<p>The process is a strategy for both the school and the student. Good luck to you all!</p>

<p>Thought this might be helpful and clarify a few things.</p>

<p>For the class of 2016:
Acceptance rates
ED 36%
EA 30%
Regular Action 15%
Overall acceptance rate of 23%. </p>

<p>There were 5,568 applicants and 1,286 were admitted.</p>

<p>Class Rank of admitted students:
Top 1% - 26%
Top 5% - 55%
Top 10% - 72%
Top 25% - 94%</p>

<p>Financial Aid Stats:
88% of total CC grant dollars are based on need.
12% of total CC grant dollars are based on merit.<br>
34% of the class received grants based on need.<br>
44% received grants based on need and/or merit.<br>
55% received some form of aid (loans, work-study and grants)
First year packages ranged from $1,200 to $52,000.<br>
Average need based package was $42,200.<br>
The average need based package of scholarships and grants totaled $32,800.</p>

<p>What’s the take away? Colorado College is a tough school to get into. The class rank of the freshman class is very telling. Are they need-blind? Nope. Do they give money? They do. If you need money and want the best chance to get in? I think that Early Action is the way to go. You get the bump of the higher admissions rate, but can still compare packages.</p>

<p>My ds is a freshman this year. He spends a lot of time working, but is really enjoying his classes. He’s had great things to say about the professors and his classmates. What he says over and over is that virtually everyone is smart, athletic, interesting and accomplished. </p>

<p>Good luck to those applying!</p>

<p>I am in the top 5 percent, albeit barely. Hopefully this gives me a leg up!</p>

<p>I’ve heard lots of colleges say that they only have higher acceptance rates in the ED and EA pools because those sections get better applicants. Do you guys think that is true? Or is it all part of the game?</p>

<p>It can be the opposite actually. A lot of people apply to a school ED because it is a reach for them and they will have an easier time getting in with all probability.</p>

<p>For early action, they admit a larger percentage because there is a higher probability the student will attend if they take initiative and apply early. This increases yield.</p>

<p>Well–whatever the CC strategy, the common data set comparison shows for enrolled students:</p>

<p>ACT Composite:</p>

<p>2006:ACT 75th percentile: 30; 34% of ACT submissions in 30-36 range
2011:ACT 75th percentile: 32; 66% of ACT submissions in 30-36 range</p>

<p>NOTE: the bottom 25th percentile on ACT Composite has gone from 27 to 29, so the ACT
Composite score for the bottom 25th percentile for the present freshman class is nearly what the 75th percentile in the freshman class of 5 years before had.</p>

<p>SAT:</p>

<p>2006: SAT 75th percentile: 2090; 27% of SAT score in Reading in 700-800 range; Math 26% in 700-800 range</p>

<p>2011: SAT 75th percentile: 2130; 37.76% of SAT score in Reading in 700-800 range; Math 28.57% in 700-800 range</p>

<p>That’s quite a score jump. Have most colleges experienced that, or has CC just gotten more competitive? Also, are those the scores of accepted students, or just the scores that were sent in?</p>

<p>Per the exact language of the CC common data sets document:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>For 2011, 1267 applicants were admitted (i.e, were offered admission by CC) of which 490 actually enrolled. The common data set stats are the profile of those who enrolled, i.e. made up that year’s freshman class. Of the 490 who enrolled, you have to assume that 173 are the 173 ED admits. </p>

<p>So, this does not provide much guidance as to the profile of those admitted, since 777 of them did not enroll.</p>

<p>Since CDS data hasn’t been published for the class of 2016, I pulled my data from a recent Colorado College publication. They also listed median SAT and ACT scores for admitted students. Because CC uses such a unique method when looking at test scores, I’m not sure how relevant they are, but here you go…</p>

<p>SAT medians:
Critical reading 700
Math 680
Writing 690
Combined (1600) 1380
Combined (2400) 2070</p>

<p>ACT Medians
English 33
Math 30
Composite 31</p>

<p>I guess there is a little indication of what it takes to get to get admitted to CC from the previous years’ 25th percentiles since 75% of the class enrolled had higher numbers. If an applicant is significantly below those numbers, it may be more of a reach.</p>

<p>Colorado College directs students to released common data set information shown on the website College Navigator. You can then compare up to four colleges. More interesting, though, you can display much more detailed data on a single college. For example, for 2010 Colorado College shows 10 forcible sexual offenses in its on-campus residence halls, is much higher than comparably sized colleges. Also shows actual numbers of students in each major.</p>

<p>Here’s the link</p>

<p>[College</a> Navigator - Colorado College](<a href=“College Navigator - Search Results”>College Navigator - Colorado College)</p>