Applying for UPenn GPA Question

When applying as a first year applicant to get into UPenn, do they recalculate A- as 3.7 or are they still 4.0s?

File it under “it is what it is.” Few colleges tell you how, or if, they recalculate. And I can’t recall UPenn ever saying they disregard +/-, regardless of what some consultants may claim.

2 Likes

So I know many people talk about an upward trend, would I be at a disadvantage if I got more A- 2nd sem junior year than in previous semesters but still no Bs and technically a higher weighted GPA?

I don’t think it’s worth worrying about. Even if you had a 4.0 with highest rigor, and a 1600 SAT, you might very well not get into Penn. Your past grades are what they are. Focus on applications at this point, if you’re a senior.

3 Likes

Okay thank you

There still is a measurable difference between say a 4.0 and a 3.925 (with a- being 3.7) right?

Wrong. There is so much more than simply grades in their evaluation.

3 Likes

There is still a difference right? I find it hard to believe that a 4.0 is the exact same as a 3.925

There is no consequential difference between a 4.0 and a 3.9whatever.

5 Likes

Okay thank you

Do you have an article/source that also says that if possible? Id like to read more into it

Sorry, no citation available. Just experience and observation.

Have AOs at top schools also confirmed this?

You seem very anxious about this. I get it - this is a stressful time. Unfortunately, I think it is unlikely that you will be able to get the kind of reassurance about this that you seem to be seeking. That is all the more reason that you will need to make peace with your current GPA, realize that you can’t change the past, and put together the strongest application that you can using what you’ve got. I wish you luck.

7 Likes

Thank you I really appreciate it

Yes.

Do you have a source by chance

No AO will have an answer specifically because there is no answer to a specific situation like I have an A-. What if your teacher in a class did not use a curve or allowed any test corrections but a student in a different school same class had extra credit or corrections or retakes. What if you took an AP class but another non-AP gave someone a A+. Grades in rigorous classes are predictors of academic success and more important for the College you staying at the College for 4 years and paying tuition and housing. But a particular B or B+ or A- predicts nothing more than an A+. You have to think why do colleges care about GPA in admissions. Part of this feeling leads to the grade inflation at high schools and really unfortunate stress of students and frankly teachers having to deal with how do I get an A.

1 Like

While I agree with others - you are worrying about something you can’t control - and schools don’t just look at GPA and test - the Penn Common Data set is telling.

According to it -54% had a 4.0. Now, at some schools that is weighted and at others unweighted. 36% have a 3.75 to 3.99.

The average is a 3.9.

10% have a 3.25 to 3.74.

Here’s the other thing - you asked is an A- a 3.7. At my HS, it was a 3.67.

Different places weight differently and if Penn does, they’ll do it.

If you want to say, is the straight A student better. Perhaps - but it might depend on their overall rigor, where was the class of struggle vs. major chosen, and other things. But frankly, I’m grasping at straws to pacify you.

If you want to apply to Penn, apply to Penn - and you better apply ED - as they take a huge chunk of their class - the other year a tad over half. Of course, make sure it’s your top choice and that it’s affordable if you do.

Penn rates most important - in addition to GPA, rigor, test score, essay and recommendations. You rarely see recs and essays in the most important category.

So your GPA - 3.92 or 4.0 will get you a look - but then what else do you have to offer? And does what you have to offer fit their needs because with a 6.5% acceptance rate (likely lower for RD), no matter what your grades are, it’s an unlikely admit.

Good luck.

3 Likes

According to the UPenn CDS, 46% of enrolled first year freshmen did not have a 4.0. Roughly 20% of students had a GPA less than 3.75.

The UPenn AOs have officially confirmed this through their CDS filing. Take a look at the CDS for each school of interest to learn what the school considers as important.

Ok, sounds good. I’m just curious if that 4.0 is counting all As regardless of +/- as 4.0 or with the A- = 3.7 scale

@fqngz

Please start concentrating on your application and not the difference between how Penn views an A vs an A-.

If you do or don’t get accepted to Penn, you will never know why.

Fact is…folks with 4.0 GPAs get rejected and folks with 3.92 get accepted. No predicting this.

Please move on. You can’t do anything about your past grades right now anyway! Right?