Applying full-time to Seoul University

I’m currently a junior at a U.S. high school and I’ve really been thinking about applying full-time to a foreign university (getting a four-year degree). I currently have a 4.0 unweighted GPA, a 4.6 weighted, and I’ve taken five AP classes and will be taking 6 more next year (total of 11). My current SAT is a 1450 and my SAT is a 33, though I’m planning to retake these to get my scores up. I am a varsity athlete (volleyball), and I am in five honor societies and tutor for math and chemistry. South Korea (and particularly SNU) has been a place I’ve been looking into a lot. First, if anyone could please tell me how my chances of getting in look as an international student (because I know it’s less competitive as a foreigner) I would appreciate it! Second, I’m planning to go into chemistry, biology, or physics, and I’m trying to figure out how limited my class options would be before I’m proficient enough to even try taking a class taught in Korean rather than English. I know they teach some classes in English but I don’t want to feel too limited. Also, I’ve started studying Korean on my own so that if, by any chance, I end up at a South Korean university, I won’t be totally lost in Korea. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you!

Hello! Though I do not attend SNU (Seoul National University), I might have some insight.

Seoul University is part of Korea’s SKY (Seoul, Korea, Yonsei), which is equivalent to America’s HYPSM in terms of prestige (Domestic perspective of course).

Fortunately, it is much easier to gain admission to SNU as an international - but it is still competitive and as for the scholarships, I’m not sure how it’ll be.

In the country, SNU is very highly regarded to the likes of Harvard. However, pursuing a career with a SNU degree in the US might not be as “efficient”.

As for actually living there, you will need to have solid Korean imo. Yes, there are foreign classes at SNU and many programs that will teach you Korean, but I highly recommend you make or have a native Korean friend to guide you.

Also, thanks to a very noncompliant cult member, South Korea’s COVID-19 (coronavirus) infection is spreading quite rapidly from 50 people on February 18th to over 800 on the 23rd with many more to be infected.

I’m sure by the time you apply and actually have the acceptances in your hand, we will know whether it’s “safe” or not. Be alert, not anxious.

Otherwise, I think you have a solid shot. If you can, study for the SAT Subject Korean w/ Listening test - it might help as they’re looking for foreigners who can somewhat communicate and integrate themselves.