Applying in the fall

I am looking to apply to Virginia Tech this fall. I had a 3.5 gpa freshman year, 3.7 sophomore, and a 4.4 junior year. By junior year I had finished AP BC Calculus with an A- and AP Physics with a A-. I have 6 AP’s including senior year, and play 2 varsity sports. I am also a part of DECA and I have taken STEM. i scored a 1900 on my SAT and a 31 on my ACT. with these score what is the likelihood of me being accepted in the early decision? Also, if i was to be denied from the engineering program would it be possible for me to still be accepted into the school? Please be honest

I’d guess that your chances for acceptance early decision into Engineering are low. It’s possible that VT might offer acceptance into another program. But quite often they just defer you to regular decision. For admittance to the COE, the Math score is more important than your overall SAT score. Ideally you want your Math score to be in the 700s (and the higher the better). Good luck.

On your application, you can list your first and second choice majors, but you are only considered for your first choice major in the early decision round. During regular decision, your application is evaluated for both choices. So yes, you can be denied from engineering but accepted to a different major or University Studies at Tech.