Applying to Exeter, Hill, Mercersburg

I want to know the chances of my acceptance to Exeter,Hill, and Mercersburg.

I have straight A’s, one B.
Placed eighth, and seventh at state for swimming.
60% ssat(going to take over)
I am a united states naval sea cadet.
I am first chair flute
I have also won several art contests.
I have attended Access Exeter

Thank you for you responses.
:slight_smile:

I think your chances are good! by analyzing the website i can tell they are all very intelligent people. I think you may need to do more curricular activities and volunteering.

As I’m sure you know, Exeter is extremely competitive and generally considered one of the top 5 boarding schools in the country. They only admit 1 in 5 applicants. Your SSATs put you at a real disadvantage since Exeter’s average is 94% but everything else looks pretty good. It’s certainly worth applying.

Your chances are better at Hill but their SSAT average is 80% so you still are a at a disadvantage. Mercersberg doesn’t publish SSAT scores (at least, I haven’t found them) but their general profile is a bit lower than Hill’s so you are likely to have a bit better chance there.

Still, you never know when one of these schools are looking for a swimmer or a flutist.

Of course, if you can pull up those SSATs it will help your chances.

Mercersburg might not give as much weight to standardized tests as some other schools do (similar to colleges that are SAT-optional). I don’t think they want to enter into the rat race of being judged by numbers (the school as a whole, or individuals within the school) any more than is necessary. The culture is very considerate, and students are valued for many qualities that cannot be put into numbers. That being said, your chances there would be better if your SSAT scores were higher. :slight_smile: Good luck!

I went on a three day visit with The Hill School recently. There, I was one out of four swimming families who met privately with the swim coach and water polo coach. I also ate lunch and had two personal meetings with the Director of Admissions. I was the only applicant with such privileges. I was informed that I had the fastest 100 Breaststroke time at The Hill. I was also guaranteed varsity swimming, and am very valuable according the swim coach and water polo coach because I do both swimming and water polo as a thirteen year old. I would like to know if being told that I match a perfect description of a Hill Student by the Director of Admissions is normal, or I have a nearly guaranteed chance of acceptance.

Thank you.

Hey! I’m a current student at Exeter. I agree with the comments mentioned above; you should definitely raise your SSAT score up, preferably to at least 90th percentile. Also, what are your swim times?

Best of luck with the admissions process!