Applying to honors

Are any of you applying for honors in your college? I just submitted the L&S honors application yesterday. Does anyone know the acceptance rate of honors application? It says somewhere that roughly 300-400 incoming freshman are honors students, but from looking at my classmates going to Madison, not very many people apply. Thoughts?

No specific info but – my kid applied and was admitted to Honors, as a kid with average stats for admission to UW but an interesting take on the essays. My sense is that Honors is a fairly self-selecting group – the kids who are willing to write some more essays AFTER they were accepted are the kids who are really interested in what Honors offers, an opportunity to delve more deeply into various subjects etc. So, while the acceptance rate into Honors may be fairly high, the opportunities provided by the Honors program are worth it for the student who seeks that kind of deeper intellectual community. Once admitted to Honors, you can do as little or as much as you choose.

Ditto the above. If some of the honors classes appeal to you go for it! Great STEM (math, chemistry, physics, Biocore) and ILS sequences plus many other good course sections. A lot of flexibility in taking classes for honors- no pressure to take x credits per semester et al. Easy to drop if you choose to not meet requirements for graduation with honors. Plus- honors students are not segregated in housing.

Remember that you do your own thing in college- do not worry at all about the classes anyone else takes. Being in the Honors Program makes you eligible for those classes, plus extras you can choose to make use of (see the website). The extras and wanting some classes are a good reason to join from day one.

Aside- many of the same courses (with current content) exist now as in my day eons ago. You have the advantage of the extras computers make easy to provide. Honors students get the Honors advisors for SOAR. Helpful.

I never heard of anyone who applied and was rejected.