Applying to Ivies Class of 2013

<p>@slikk. Haha I know, I applied to a couple.
@Buttafly 13. Thanks! Good luck to you as well!</p>

<p>Congrats to everyone on this thread! You all are so inspiring, and seem very intelligent. The conversations on here are great. :slight_smile: Good luck with admission decisions in the coming week!</p>

<p>Sent from my DROID RAZR using CC</p>

<p>Isnā€™t Ivy day this Thursday? Good luck to all of you and I wish you all the best! :D</p>

<p>So whoā€™s going Ivy?</p>

<p>D going to Penn.</p>

<p>I got into Princeton (and Cornellā€¦), but whether I go ivy depends on Duke.</p>

<p>Congratulations to everyone!</p>

<p>@madabouttx, did your D apply rd or Ed?</p>

<p>Iā€™m headed to Cornell probably. </p>

<p>Iā€™m on Brownā€™s waitlist, but that may not pan out.</p>

<p>What do you guys think? Full scholarship duke or princeton (6.6k a year)?</p>

<p>Iā€™m not sure which I like more. Princeton seems to have the better academics and wow factor, but Duke has the social life and freeness and weather. >.></p>

<p>Thereā€™s also the size difference, the lack-of-a-med-school factor, and grade deflation at Princeton to considerā€¦</p>

<p>@CookieMonster - My D got into Penn ED. So weā€™ve jus been waiting to hear where her friends are going.</p>

<p>@Philovitist - you really canā€™t go wrong with either. Princetonā€™s name carries weight all over the world, maybe into a few corners where Duke doesnā€™t. Ut itā€™s really splitting hairs that may not matter to your career choice. Career is one thing Iā€™d add to your calculation. Can one school position you better career-wise - alumni network, placement services, reputation, grad school down the road, etc.</p>

<p>I know someone who was usually humble that flexed her Ivy League pedigree to survive multiple rounds of layoffs and eventually retired. Many people hold Ivy League status in very high esteem. Duke may carry more weight in the south than in NYC so regional influence may matter also depending on where you want to end up.</p>

<p>darn it princeton wins by your rationale</p>

<p>Philovitist </p>

<p>I would choose the full scholarship to Duke. Who can go bad with that? Itā€™s free! lol I believe thatā€™s a wonderful opportunity to have! Princeton is cool too. lol Congratulations! :D</p>

<p>^Your performance wherever you are matters as well so if being happy where you are will improve your academic performance, weight that heavily also.</p>

<p>Philovitist- I would add this. If you plan on going to graduate school, graduating with no debt would be extremely attractive. Maybe an Ivy graduate school? That way you get to have your cake and eat it too! :D</p>

<p>Also, if you plan on studying abroad, you would possibly have more money for travel/tourism. Something to think about.</p>

<p>Thatā€™s another thing, with thr scholarship Iā€™m obliged to spend two summers doing community service. Its possible Iā€™d rather do science or an internship or something. >.></p>

<p>ā€œDuke has the social life and freeness and weather.ā€</p>

<p>You might be right about the weather, if you donā€™t like snow or the cold. But thatā€™s just northeast for you lol. Although, Iā€™m not sure what you mean about the other two. What type of ā€œsocial life and freenessā€ are you looking for that Duke has but Princeton doesnā€™t? Iā€™d just like clarification, because maybe I can help :)</p>

<p>My DD was accepted to U Chicago and Columbia. She will be visiting both in the next few weeks to make a decision. Sheā€™s undecided, but considering medicine. The other factor is that she is a life long violinist (started at 3), and was very close to deciding on going to conservatory. In the end she decided not to (long story). She doesnā€™t want to quit playing. The opportunities for her at Columbia may be more suited to keeping up both music and academics. On the other hand, my Mom instincts are really kicking in. She is just 16 and being that far away will be hard for me. U Chicago is a 7 hour drive away so we could see her more often. She was away in Boston most of last summer, so itā€™s not the first time she will be away from us, but being away for College full time is quite different.</p>

<p>Philo, if I were you, head to Duke. College decisions donā€™t get much better than what you have.</p>

<p>Like you, Iā€™m currently deciding between Princeton and other schools, in my case, MIT.</p>

<p>I really think Iā€™m better suited for MIT, plus theyā€™re giving me more aid than Princeton at the momentā€¦</p>

<p>Weā€™ll see what happens. Congratulations to you buddy. Going to Ptonā€™s preview weekend?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Iā€™m a Finalist at Duke for a full rideā€¦And itā€™s no longer clear who has the best social life. Princeton seems to have ā€œmyā€ sort of social life, yā€™know? The one that doesnā€™t revolve around fraternities or some basketball team. The one not limited so much by self-segregation or homophobia. The one thatā€™s less exclusive and more intellectual, less prone to compartmentalize work and play into separate spheresā€¦</p>

<p>Gah. But full ride and closeness to family/home and more exposure to different politics and less elitism and a present medical schoolā€¦</p>

<p>Just wanted to mention that Iā€™ve spoken with Philovitist about Princeton via PM. If anyone has specific concerns or questions about Princeton, please feel free to get in touch with me!</p>

<p>Again, congrats, everyone!</p>

<p>Penn Preview for ED admits was really nice. Good stuff today. Please do a survey to get input on how to make it better.</p>