Applying to Ivies Class of 2013

<p>^ You’d do well at Spelman, Hampton or Howard.</p>

<p>Unless someone Wants to disagree, I think the Ivies are not in the cards. Even if accepted, I don’t think it would be a fit. Ideally, you will go to the school where you are in at least the middle 50% SAT range or a little higher.</p>

<p>The benefit of that is that you’ll be around people a lot like you academically.</p>

<p>I understand, but unfortunately I’m not interested in attending a hbcu, I’d like to be in a place full of different people so that I could in turn, hone in on the different lifestyles, belief systems and learning styles. I love to learn and I pick up well on anything I’m exposed to. The reason my gpa is so low is because of my school’s refusal to weight college classes in the same way they do AP classes. But, hey, maybe you’re right. I don’t want to go to an IVY League school though, I want to go to Rice. I just love the school, the teaching styles and the quality of life there and I feel if given the opportunity to utilize their resources, I would thrive.</p>

<p>I hope you don’t fel like I tried to pigeon hole you. I went to Hampton myself so my suggestion was not disrespectful.</p>

<p>Black people are very diverse, we’re not all cookie cutter folks but go for your dream. That’s what is important.</p>

<p>Megall2, what other schools are you applying? Are you taking the ACT this Saturday one last time? </p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>oh gosh im sorry, i didnt mean to come off defensive, i just really love rice, I didnt apply to any other ivy leagues, i applied to st.edwards in austin and st.marys in san antonio and I got in. I was going to take it again, but money is really tight. :frowning: I just feel so inadequate academically.</p>

<p>^Academically, you are fine from what you put up with two weaknesses. 1. SAT 1 Score and 2. I suspect your school is not preparing you as well as it looks based on your GPA and SAT achievement gap.</p>

<p>Despite that, you can improve your SAT on the Jan test if you study hard now. Ideally, an 1800 overall gives you a fighting chance, over 2000 makes you competitive and over 2100 puts you in near the middle 50 at most elite schools. A 1495 is the national average so being above that is important. Ultimately, determination, good habits and hard work will decide how far you go which is more important than where you go.</p>

<p>I got into Harvard EA!!!</p>

<p>Awesome! Be sure to post in the AA decisions thread.</p>

<p>Congratulations!!!</p>

<p>thanks guys!</p>

<p>Congrats !</p>

<p>Congratulations! You rock! c:</p>

<p>I didn’t apply early anywhere. Anyone else?</p>

<p>Congrats hello! I did not apply early anywhere either, because I want colleges to see my first semester of senior year.</p>

<p>Sent from my SGH-T589 using CC</p>

<p>WASSUP NERDS, I’m applying to a couple ivies namely Yale and Cornell as well as some other top schools: Duke, Johns Hopkins, Carnegie Mellon
I have a 4.0 GPA UW and I’m salutatorian of my class of about 500.
I’m originally from Nigeria (west africa represent!)
My sat scores are as follows:
Math- 720
Verbal- 650
And my SAT II
Math lvl 1- 670
US history- 730
Biology- 750
ACT composite: 30
Teacher and guidance recs are good I suppose, didn’t get to see them.
Essays were solid
AP’s: Stats (5) APUSH (5) AP Lang (5) APES (4) APWH (4) AP Human (4)
EC: I’m captian of my soccer team, president of math honor society and VP of NHS. Also a member of various other clubs such as science honor society, environmental club, sophmore and junior steering, I have about 150+ hours of community service.</p>

<p>Nope. Didn’t apply early. I kinda regret that because H is my ABSOLUTE FIRST CHOICE ERMAGERD.</p>

<p>But, you know. I had some complications with relocating to GA and I wasn’t able to take my Subject Tests and ACT earlier. T__T #mylife</p>

<p>My D got into UPenn.</p>

<p>Congrats on the acceptances so far, everyone! And good luck to those who find out from Princeton today! (I hope some of ya’ll plan to find out from Princeton today…)</p>

<p>got into UPenn on Wednesday</p>

<p>Congratulations!</p>