Applying to Ivies Class of 2013

<p>Congratulations to everyone. I’m always humbled to see the next generation aspiring for greatness. My son and I share this username. He is 3 for 3 so far: MIT, Caltech and U of Illinois. We will find out from the Ivies at the end of March (Harvard, Princeton and Stanford–although not an Ivie). Blessings to all of you throughout the notification season.</p>

<p>obossman24–Congrats, You and your son have tough decisions come April! MIT and ivy’s.stanford will all be tough to turn down. Your son looks so impressive and you should be proud! My D have apps into Columbia,Brown and MIT but Harvard has got her heart with her EA admissions acceptance. Good Luck and I cannot wait to hear where he chooses</p>

<p>Dreamweaver10–Thanks for the congratulations, AND, same to you and your D. My son loved Harvard as well when we visited there last Spring. If he gets accepted there too, we will be there for Visitas weekend in April as well. Those decisions will indeed be hard, but we feel blessed to have those kinds of choices to make. Best of luck to you and your D as well. Perhaps we will cross paths during the month of April on a Cambridge campus.</p>

<p>So I have three days to decide if I want to apply to some Ivies. Looking to major in computer science. Should I bother?:</p>

<p>Male from Houston, TX</p>

<p>GPA: 3.3 unweighted
SAT: 2060 (620 CR, 790 M, 650 W)
SAT II: 780 Math II, 590 Physics (I know )
AP: Computer Science A, 5</p>

<p>ECs/activities: Basketball, volunteering at the local museum, FCCLA, already have a Calculus credit from a summer program at Brown University.</p>

<p>Already applied to Rice, CMU, and Texas</p>

<p>yes @similo , with your stats maybe cornell/penn you have a shot, if youre interested, if not, then dont bother</p>

<p>@similo To be honest, your GPA is going to kill you, as will your low SAT1+2 (for Ivies) Cornell might be a good choice; other than that, I would not recommend applying. It would take money and time that you could never get back.</p>

<p>Alright, going to apply to Penn. Checked it out, seems like a good school in an urban environment, which I prefer. My SAT Math score is in the top quartile, so I’m liking my chances. </p>

<p>Also giving Columbia a shot. Chances of being accepted are probably <5%, though. </p>

<p>Appreciate it, guys. And congrats on getting into Harvard, hellogoodbye.</p>

<p>OMG congrats to everyone who got in so far!</p>

<p>I just submitted my applications to Harvard, Yale, Princeton , Columbia, Brown, UPenn, and Cornell! Hopefully I get into one of them but we’ll see.</p>

<p>Impressive list of schools flowergirl, but are you applying to any safeties?</p>

<p>his SATs arent that low, I only had a 1980 and i didnt do that well on the SAT 2s and I got in. If you really want to go then apply man</p>

<p>SAT 1: 520CR 650M 640W 1810
SAT 2: 680 Chemistry 620 Math 2
GPA: 3.93 UW 4.61W
AP courses: AP Physics B, AP Chem, AP Lang, AP Gov.
Currently taking: AP Physics C, AP Calc BC, AP microeconomics & Statistics at local comm. college</p>

<p>EC: Math Engineering Science Achievements, JV Wrestling, Science Bowl, Physics Olympics, Chemathon, Math Honor Society, Science Honor Society, National Honor Society, Rho Kappa, Kids Are Scientists too (teach elementary school kids science), PREFACE at RPI, Church youth group, Church Dance ministry, Fellowship of Christian Athletes</p>

<p>Volunteering: Habitat For Humanity Restore, and George B. Thomas Learning Academy. 314 hours all together</p>

<p>Other things: QuestBridge finalist, Female African immigrant from Ghana who moved here 5 years ago, applying to directly to engineering schools (I want to major in ChemE)</p>

<p>What are my chances for these colleges: UMCP, RPI, Yale, MIT, Stanford, Princeton, Cornell and Brown</p>

<p>Thank You very much!</p>

<p>@lacrossemom I have some safeties too like UMBC, SUNY Albany, University of the Sciences in Philadephia, and Hartwick College.</p>

<p>@ambitious1 OMG Im Ghanaian too!! yeah!! But IMO, you do have a chance at all the schools you listed but your SAT and SAT 2’s scores are a major weakness though.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Got in where?</p>

<p>@similo she got into upenn</p>

<p>A 520 is very low for the Ivies though. Were any of those schools safeties? Above an 1800 SAT is a very good score. Go for everything but have a couple solid safeties.</p>

<p>@flower161 Heyy! you’re the first one I’ve met on here. Does retaking my Math 2 make a difference if i get a 720+ ? I failed the first one because my test had 43 instead of 50 questions. I authorized them to release the score hoping it’d go to colleges in time for EA but it was delayed.<br>
@Madaboutx I only have two safeties that I won’t be able to pay for even if i do get in. That’s why I’ve really been trying to get into one of the ivies because they meet 100% of your financial needs</p>

<p>^More and more top liberal arts schools like Amherst and schools like Vanderbilt also meet need.</p>

<p>You have to weigh it out though. Is your future income potential and career advancement worth accumulating debt to do. If you borrow to finance an engineering degree, you will be far better off than borrowing to finance a history degree.</p>

<p>School is an investment so there is more to look at than the sticker price. </p>

<p>I’m being honest with you because your scores are lower than 75% of Ivy goers and the odds of someone with a 2350 SAT getting in to any Ivy is less than 12%. Nobody can bank on getting into an Ivy unless you have someone with your last name getting a building constructed and named after them.</p>

<p>^I also don’t want to be discouraging. I always hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I say go for it but don’t overlook opportunities to achieve your goals elsewhere. </p>

<p>Too many kids are just trying to go to college but really, you want to get to a future that you desire. The question is what school can give you the biggest boost. An Ivy can give you a huge boost but many more than just the 7 that form the Ivy league can also give you a solid boost.</p>

<p>She? I’m a boy and yea I got into Penn</p>

<p>What do you guys think about me? I’m applying to Duke (I know its not an IVY) and UPenn as super reaches. Briefly I have a 3.33/3.83 9-12 & 3.44/3.94 10-12, strong upward trend (had like a 2.5 freshman year) and I’m in the top 5% of my class. I have a 2110 sat (2120 superscore) and good EC’s and essays. </p>

<p>My counselor wrote about the fact that I come from single mom, low income, first gen fam. Do you think top colleges will overlook my low gpa? I know its not horrendous, but it is definitely not 3.8/4.3 material. Oh and the max gpa you can get at my school is 4.5. I seen the guy who said he got into UPenn, it gave me a lil hope lol.</p>

<p>Sent from my SGH-T589 using CC</p>