Applying to STEM Colleges [for engineering, MD resident, 4.00 GPA, post-calculus math and lots of music, but only foreign language level 2]

Oh ok, I am one of very few African Americans who is taking MV in my junior year in highschool.

It depends on the college. See section C7 of the collegeā€™s common data set to see if it matters. Even if it does matter, try not to get overconfident about how much it matters (i.e. do not assume that a reach becomes a match, for example).

1 Like

A few comments:

ā€“ A number of top tier schools look for applicants to have a well-rounded base in all of the core subjects (English, Math, Science, Social Studies, Foreign Language) and your projected schedule does not have that. I suggest you look at the common data set of colleges you are interested in (google ā€œcommon data set XYZ universityā€) and check Section C on Freshman Admission (Section C) to see the schoolā€™s required/recommended high school coursework. As one example, Stanford recommends freshman applicants have 3+ years of foreign language. IMO meeting the recommended/required coursework should take precedence over taking additional classes in your areas of interest.

ā€“While you appear to have strong qualifications, you will need to expand your application list to include schools with higher acceptance rates. The schools you listed have very low acceptance rates and must be considered reaches for any unhooked applicant. There are more very well qualified applicants than spots available.

ā€“Do you have any meaningful extra-curricular activities? Those play a role in admissions at many colleges.

6 Likes

Would CMU, Georgia Tech, Cornell, Univeristy of Michigan be good options?

They are great schools, all with low acceptance rates. You need more options with higher acceptance rates.

It is easy to come up with a list of elite, big name schools. Do more research and find some match and safety options that you would be happy to attend. Iā€™d definitely apply to your state flagship.

2 Likes

In another thread, you mentioned being in Maryland.

University of Maryland College Park is generally considered good for many subjects including engineering majors, but it is best to apply early action because it fills almost all of its space early, so regular decision applicants will find it much more difficult to get admitted.

Here are the engineering offerings at state universities in Maryland:

School Gen Aero Bio Chem Civil CompEng Elect FireProt Ind Mat Mech
Frostburg State X
UMBC X X X
UMCP X X X X X X X X X
UMES X
Morgan State X X X
2 Likes

What specific engineering major are you interested in?

As ucbalumnus mentioned above, UMD has a well respected engineering college (with excellent facilities) thatā€™s ranked highly for multiple majors. So that should definitely be on your list.

Other school suggestions will depend on your major and confirmed budget.

1 Like

Look at the requirements for some of your colleges of interest. That will be the best way to know what they are looking for.

2 Likes

Please refer to the comments on your other thread. (Edited to add: a separate question regarding foreign language was merged into this thread. )

1. Check the common data set of each college you are considering applying to for the required/recommended HS coursework.
  2. Many colleges do look for 3 - 4 years of foreign language.
1 Like

Which ā€œgood collegesā€ are you considering? As noted, you need to check the requirements for each school. Many colleges recommend level 3 or 4 in foreign languageā€¦and others applying for admission will have met that bar.

Why did you take only two years of FL?

1 Like

NC State does only require two credits of high school foreign language, but other schools may vary.

So if I do want to apply to cornell, wouldnā€™t the foreign language requirement depend on the college that I am applying to?

Iā€™m surprised that Cornell is on your list. Iā€™d recommend looking at their 4 year plan of study for engineering. There are many more liberal arts requirements at Cornell than other schools.

Iā€™m with the other posters who are suggesting a rethink about your senior classes and having a more balanced course load across disciplines. You are going to be limiting your college options by not have a well rounded high school schedule and then you will find that you need to take some of those courses anyway in college because you wont have the AP credits to use.

Another vote for making sure you apply to UMD by the early action deadline. Michigan, UIUC, and Purdue would also be worth a look for engineering and then finding some safeties.

5 Likes

But I am applying to Cornell College of Engineering specifically.

I have also been doing music for throughout my highschool year and participated in outside musical organizations too

Yes, Iā€™m aware! Cornell engineering requires 2 semesters of freshmen writing seminar (no option to use AP credits) and 6 additional courses in liberal arts: Liberal Studies Policy for Students Entering Fall 2020 and Later | Cornell Engineering

Itā€™s one of the reasons my D didnā€™t apply to Cornell.

2 Likes

So the link you gave me is for when you enter into Cornell correct?

When I looked at the required course work to enter the college of engineering, I found this:

The link is for the requirements to graduate from Cornell engineering.

And yes, that is different than what you need for admission. My point is, that if you arenā€™t interested in studying those courses now in HS, Cornell will force you to do it later. There are plenty of schools that have much fewer liberal arts requirements and those may be more suited to you.

As I noted, that was a deal breaker for my own daughter who was very STEM focused and wanted electives to take what she wanted in college.

3 Likes

Those are the minimum requirements. The most competitive applicants will have 4 years of classes in each of the 5 core areas.

Is there any way you can take Spanish 3 this summer?

What are your AP test scores so far?

ETA: high school is two words!

3 Likes