Applying with Karate as a main hook

Can you post a link yo the thread?

If it is something that can be used in a press release that can be helpful. This is from UChicago last year
ā€œOne of you is Omanā€™s Woman of the Year, is a swimmer on the Oman national team, and is the first female swimmer on the national team. One of your entrepreneurial peers has a patent pending for an artificial intelligence swim goggle that is being made in conjunction with Olympic swimmers, in your class is a nationally ranked archer, and the No. 2 ranked Scrabble player in the world.ā€

thank you

Thank you.
I really appreciate your comment.

I think he means this: Realistic Chance Me for Fifteen-Year-Old International Student (Indian) - #102 by grtd2010

That OP is full pay and works in senior IT at her dadā€™s company. I donā€™t know how much her experience will translate to this OPā€™s situation.

2 Likes

University of Alabama and Arizona both would be good merit aid targets, and your overall cost would not exceed your budget.

@WayOutWestMom are the merit awards for University of New Mexico available for international students? If so, this school should be considered too.

Re: karateā€¦I personally know a bunch of black belts in karateā€¦I doubt it will be a ā€œhookā€. But it is a great EC for her. In addition, I donā€™t think it will translate into more than $30,000 a year in scholarship money.

UNM offers an international Amigo scholarship:
https://geo.unm.edu/admission/undergraduate/scholarships/amigo.html

International Amigo Scholarship
The International Amigo Scholarship entitles awarded international students (non-immigrant visa holders) to a waiver of the non-resident portion of tuition- a value of more than $15,000 per year. Students must meet renewal requirements (see below) each semester.

Eligibility Criteria

Freshman Applicants: The equivalent of a U.S. grade point average (GPA) of 3.5 in upper secondary school (high school) course work completed, as determined by UNM, or an ACT composite score of 26 or a SAT combined score of 1240 and the equivalent of a U.S. grade point average of 3.0 in upper secondary school (high school) course work completed, as determined by UNM.

2 Likes

Thank you!

My high school senior is a second-degree adult black belt. She is pretty humble, so I made sure she mentioned it where she could. ALL of her essays mentioned it, and the lessons she learned both as a student and a sensei. She got in everywhere she applied. I think itā€™s less they wanted a karate student and more her other attributes, that honestly were directly descended from the focus and discipline she learned in the martial arts. Oddly enough she got into Purdue (not going) and they have a karate club in her exact field of karate study. She made sure to mention that in her ā€œwhy Purdueā€ short answer. :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you