Architecture: Cal Poly vs. Berkeley

<p>Does anyone have any insights on the architecture programs of these two schools?</p>

<p>cal poly is ultimately more convenient and cost efficient.
plus it has the name.
berkeley is just a b.s. arch program (4+2) whereas poly is a 5 year b.arch program.</p>

<p>I talked to one of the professors at Cal Poly, and he said that approximately half of the people who get accepted to both programs will go to Berkeley while the other half will go to SLO. What I'm curious about is the reasoning behind why someone would choose one over the other. Clearly, they both have good programs if they attract that many students.</p>

<p>"reasoning behind why someone would choose one over the other"</p>

<p>The Berkeley name is a good fall-back if you decide you no longer want to be an architect... but are too far into your degree to switch.</p>

<p>Your under grad degree wont matter after a few years of work experience or grad school. </p>

<p>My bet is that half of the accepted people probably felt more comfortable at one school over the other. Go to each open house, I know SLO's is in april.</p>

<p>I have spent alot of time analyzing this question- I really dont see much advantage or use for UC Berkeleys approach-you end up with a degree that cannot be used for much (not licensed). We have a friend who is a practicing architect and he went through the UC berkeley program (now in his 40's) and it has taken him15 extra years to getting around to getting fully licensed so that he can practice independently becuase of that program. It seems you would need to do the extra 2 years to get the masters so that you could be licensed. He never did and has suffered for 15 years. (he finally got it and got licensed but had to do a lesser draftsman type job for government because he wasnt licensed). Another more interesting option for us is the 5 year masters of architecture that many Universities are offering. (got into three) but still prefer Cal Poly for quality of architecture program and unsurpassed name recogimition in the field. after analyzing lots of these programs Going to Cal poly in the fall for architecture.</p>

<p>logicaldog,
Care to share the names of the three MArch programs you are passing on?
Good luck at Cal Poly.</p>

<p>Hey logicaldog,
I'm probably going to Cal Poly for arch this fall too. I'm just gonna wait for USC's scholarship decision and Berkeley's letter on Thursday before I make my final decision.</p>

This is an old thread. Does anyone have any new thoughts on comparing these two schools for Undergrad Architecture programs. I realize one is the 5 year BArch and the other a 4 year B.A. in Architecture. Any advice, as I’m sure these programs have changed since 2008.

I would start a new discussion since this is 13 years old.

Closing discussion.

1 Like