Are all PRIVATE DORMS created equal?

<p>I'm from NJ and am probably going to end up at a private dorm for a variety of reasons, but would like to find one with a more laidback atmosphere. From what I've hear about Towers, I'd like to find one that is the opposite of that. I've heard good things about Langdon but am not sure if a lot of freshmen end up there. Statesider is also appealing because its mostly freshman and seems to have a better atmosphere than Towers. Anyone have any advice?</p>

<p>By tradition Towers has many Jewish students. Statesider has more OOS wealthy kids. Langdon is less classified.</p>

<p>thanks barrons</p>

<p>anyone else? maybe someone who has stayed in one of the dorms?</p>

<p>I'd go with either Langdon or Statesider.</p>

<p>May I ask what a "private" dorm is?</p>

<p>The dorm is owned and operated by a private party but has typical dorm things like food service, study rooms etc. Many large school have them</p>

<p>What's the difference between private dorms and public ones? More restrictions I think?
Also, is there any single room in private dorm? If so, which hall is it?</p>

<p>I say avoid the Towers. It's exactly what you think it is. Statesider is maybe a LITTLE better, and from what I hear, the Langdon is definitely the most laid-back of the privates</p>

<p>I guess I should also note that I lived in the Towers and yeah, it's not a typical dorm atmosphere meaning people aren't really friendly or laid-back</p>

<p>Are there alot of freshmen living in Langdon?</p>

<p>Probably--call them.</p>

<p>im confused..how do u sign up for a private dorm? are these more expensive?</p>

<p>They will send you info. Apply for the public dorms--most freshmen will get rooms now.</p>

<p>when they sent the housing application, i had a choice of 19 dorms:
adams hall
international learning community - adams
barnard hall
bradley learning community
chadbourne residential college
cole hall
limited visitation floor - cole
women in science and engineering - cole
elizabeth waters hall
kronshage hall
merit house
ogg hall
sellery hall
slichter hall
smith hall
sullivan hall
witte hall
multicultural learning community - witte
substance free - witte</p>

<p>which are the towers, which are private, which are public, which have the nicest rooms? help please. too many options!</p>

<p>those are all public.
lakeshore ones have the nicer rooms</p>

<p>The private dorm info will come later.</p>

<p>but the forms are due feb.1st...will the private dorm info come before then?</p>

<p>i read somewhere that the private housing stuff comes like right after the deadline, nd that they purposely make the deadline feb. 1st so that u dont hav a choice. if u want info now go to <a href="http://www.universityhouse.com/UHmadison/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.universityhouse.com/UHmadison/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>You just apply by then, it's all refunded if you don't get a public dorm. But if you don't apply--no public dorm.</p>

<p>You have to keep in mind that when you apply to public dorms and accept whichever dorm you are assigned, then that is a binding contract and you cannot at a later date try to go for a private dorm. I think most instate freshmen will get into the public dorms as also many out of state freshmen.</p>