Are classes selected at SOAR final?

<p>Can I still change classes after leaving SOAR on my own, or are they locked in at that point?</p>

<p>Nope, you can mess around with them as much as you want, even after classes start if you’d like. There’s a deadline a few weeks into the semester and you can’t change after that. Not much stuff may be open after SOAR, but there might be a few surprises, you never know! I found a really great class I liked, did well in, and met someone who became a close friend of mine, so you never know :)</p>

<p>How much do the advisers help with selecting classes? I tried looking at classes, but they were very overwhelming! I know it is good to have an idea of what I want, but there are so many choices!</p>

<p>At SOAR you will get a peer advisor who is an upperclassman. You’ll get some one-on-one time with them and they will set you in a general direction. Then you’re sent to the computers and you’re free to browse classes on your own. At a specific time you will enroll, and once you’re all done you print out your schedule and then you meet with your actual advisor, who will glance over your schedule (I do mean glance) and make sure it works okay. Then you’re done, though you’re free to mess around with your schedule as much as you want leading up to the start of the semester.</p>

<p>Feel free to make your advisor give you advice. Ask questions and get things clarified- that’s why you meet with an advisor. Do not feel rushed/intimidated. My son had an L&S Honors advisor who made suggestions and knew a few tricks about getting into a filled class. If you run into scheduling problems ask your advisor for ways to work the system.</p>

<p>You can always change your schedule anytime after SOAR. Be warned however that there was a logic in the courses you signed up for- you can mess up your schedule by dropping a course you needed and then find it filled when you try to get back in it. </p>

<p>You should have your core classes and then those electives you signed up for because the one you wanted most was not available to fit your schedule. Later if that desired class opens up you can see if it will work.</p>