Are personal insight questions in the UC system actually as valued as they claim?

I did not mean this discussion title to sound like a misleading one, but I am really interested in going to a UC for undergrad (which also explains why all my threads mention them). I believe that I am a diligent, hardworking student that tries hard for As but ends up with a few disappointments (Bs). I am not mad at myself because I’m also optimistic, thinking I still have a chance. And no worries, this isn’t a chance me. I want to prove that I am worthy to the UCs with the personal insight questions. As I begin to draft my responses to the 4 questions I have picked, I have difficulty believing that they will make/break my college decision. I have even had a dream that my essays were great but my GPA was just a bit low so the admissions officer laughed and threw my application away. A bit extreme? Yes. I have gone through a lot in my life recently, which I do not blame for my slightly-less-than-good grades, but have definitely shaped me into a different person. I have a lot to talk about, but I do not want to sound like I’m making excuses. So I guess my question is: Could the personal insight questions really influence the AO to go from “no way” to “definitely”?

Like many kids, you seem to think the challenge is just in the competition for an admit. But selective (and higher) colleges are concerned with the four years and your potential to manage their level of work. Usually, grades (and rigor) show how prepared you are. Or not.

In holistic, every piece is important. If they don’t feel you’re academically at their level, no writing can overcome that. So rather than drafting responses, you should be assessing your match, first. Understand what they look for so you can show that match. Use the time now or you may be spinning you wheels filling out parts of the app so early.

It matters which UC, what major, whether those related hs classes are A grades. Think practically.

And essays are not where you explain shortcomings.

@Aneem00, below is the criteria and what UC’s consider important in their application review. For every single UC campus, the application essay (personal insight questions) are considered very important. The personal insight essays are where you can come across as a person beyond your academics, show your personality and show how circumstances in your life have made you who you are today.

• **Berkeley**

• Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores
  • Important: Extracurricular activities, Volunteer work, Work experience
  • Considered: Character/personal qualities, First generation college student, State residency
  • Note: Thorough review of academic performance; likely contribution to intellectual and cultural vitality of the campus; diversity in personal background and experience; demonstrated qualities in leadership, motivation, concern for others and community; non-academic achievement in the performing arts, athletics or employment; demonstrated interest in major.
  • LOR's by invitation only as of 2017

• **Davis**

• Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores
  • Important: Character/personal qualities, Extracurricular activities, Talent/ability, Volunteer work
  • Considered: First generation college student, Geographical residence, State residency, Work experience
  • Note: Scholastic achievement most important, followed by school and community activities, academic interests, special circumstances, special achievements and awards

• **Irvine**

• Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Extracurricular activities, Level of applicant's interest, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores, Talent/ability, Volunteer work, Work experience
  • Important: Character/personal qualities, Class rank
  • Considered: First generation college student, Geographical residence, State residency
  • Note: Demonstrated record of academic preparation, educational engagement, talent and skills important.

• **Los Angeles**

• Important: Character/personal qualities, Extracurricular activities, Talent/ability, Volunteer work, Work experience
  • Considered: First generation college student, Geographical residence
  • Note: GPA, test scores, course work, number of and performance in honors and AP courses most important. Essay considered. Strong senior program important. Extracurricular activities, honors and awards also reviewed.
  • **Merced**
  •   Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores

•   Important: Class rank, Extracurricular activities, Talent/ability

•   Considered: Character/personal qualities, First generation college student, Geographical residence, Level of applicant's interest, Recommendations, State residency, Volunteer work, Work experience

•   Note: Academic record and test scores determine eligibility.

• **Riverside**
  •   Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores

•   Considered: Character/personal qualities, Extracurricular activities, First generation college student, State residency, Talent/ability, Volunteer work, Work experience

•   Note: A fixed weight point system comprehensive review model that culminates in an Academic Index Score to determine admission for incoming freshmen.

• **San Diego**

•   Important: Character/personal qualities, Extracurricular activities, First generation college student, State residency, Talent/ability, Volunteer work, Work experience

•   Note: High school course pattern, GPA, essay and test scores most important. Admission for out-of-state applicants more selective than for residents.

• **Santa Barbara**

•   Considered: Character/personal qualities, Class rank, Extracurricular activities, First generation college student, Level of applicant's interest, State residency, Talent/ability, Volunteer work, Work experience

•   Note: Eligibility established by high school GPA, course requirement, and SAT scores. Special consideration for disadvantaged students.

• **Santa Cruz**
  •   Very important: Academic GPA, Application essay, Rigor of secondary school record, Standardized test scores, State residency

•   Important: Character/personal qualities, Extracurricular activities, First generation college student, Geographical residence, Talent/ability

•   Considered: Volunteer work, Work experience

•   Note: Test scores, GPA in required subjects most important. Personal statement very important.

@Gumbymom thank you for posting the considerations for each UC

they read them all but, a stellar essay won’t erase a sub par GPA and test scores.

@Gumbymom So Merced, Santa Barabara all consider level of applicant’s interest? And for Irvine it is very important? Do you know how they establish applicant’s interest?

@InfoQuestMom: The usual ways to establish a level of interest is to tour the campus, attend UCI information sessions or college fair. Although they state that an applicant’s level of interest is very important, I know students that never did any of these things and were still admitted.

@Gumbymom do they actually check to see if you attended events? Never heard of this being a criteria until recently.

If you do a tour, you usually have to make an appointment on-line and then sign in so they would have a record. If you attend any information sessions or college fairs, they would most likely ask you sign in or ask for your email so again they would have a record. The UC’s are really not that “big” on showing interest but like I stated above, UCI shows applicant interest is important on their Common Dataset, but it is not a dealbreaker.