Are the intro classes really full?

<p>DS is trying to work out his schedule for BB and is getting frustrated because the course catalog is showing that all of the GEO 101 and PY 101 classes, labs, and discussions are full. Are they really or are they holding spots like the Eng classes? </p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>As I experienced today when 5-10 spots opened in every Intro to Poli Sci class at the same time, I’d say its probably not a problem. I’m looking at GEO 101 on MyBama now and it says the capacity for the MWF 9 o’clock class is 86 yet the same room at another time has a capacity of 110. So that would be the class to watch for additional seats. It looks like the same situation for PY 101. Just be patient.</p>

<p>Look at how many seats there were in the corresponding class last fall and compare it to how many seats are showing up currently. That should give you a good indication of whether additional seats will open. When my D was at BB, she found that seats opened in the classes freshman often take (EN 103, MATH 125 and 126), and didn’t open in classes like AC 210 and LGS 200 which are not typically freshman classes. That is what we expected based on looking at the class sizes from Fall 2011. I would think there’d be additional seats opening up in 100 level Psych and science classes.</p>

<p>Thanks y’all! It looks like there might be hope for the young man. I’m going to suggest that he choose some other courses to take the place of Geo and PY, just in case. ;)</p>

<p>Each of those Intro sections should get open spots for each Bama Bound. </p>

<p>And, note that many of the Intro classes have many, many sections. For instance, Frosh Comp I has about 160 different sections (plus the 103, ESL, and Blount versions). So, if each section opens 5-10 spots per BB, there should be a good number of options to choose from.</p>

<p>At my BB, about 5 seats opened up in each section of the intro classes a few minutes after the registration hold was lifted on day 2. They were all full/closed by noon.</p>