Are there public printers in the dorms?

<p>I have searched the UA website and CC and can’t seem to find an answer. I see that students can print at the library and Ferg, but I thought someone at BB said there were printers in the dorms. I can find no info to support this.</p>

<p>Do all dorms have them?
If so, how many printers? One per dorm, one per floor?
If not, which dorms do?</p>

<p>I am not aware of any dorms with printers for students. Many students choose to bring their own printers, but some do not.</p>

<p>There are no printers in the dorms. You would need to purchase your own printer. I suggest getting one with a scanner capability.</p>

<p>I think there are printers for use in the Honors College in Nott Hall.</p>

<p>Many assignments are emailed and therefore do not need to be printed.</p>

<p>If you buy a new printer, check the box and make sure it includes a printer cable. We just bought a HP printer and there was no cable included. Apparently a lot of the wireless printers don’t include a cable. The letter we got yesterday said to plan on bringing a printer cable and NOT connecting to the university wireless. We ordered our printer cable from Monoprice.</p>

<p>That is correct, you should not plan on connecting a wireless printer, bring a cable.</p>

<p>Check prices on printers. You can get some great deals. D’s printer is a MCF, multi function. It can scan, print, copy and fax. The actual printers are “dirt cheap”, it is the ink they are getting you. Also, the ink cartridges that come with the printers now don’t tend to be full sized or filled all the way. Might as well go ahead and buy a set of ink cartridges at the same time.</p>

<p>Check into a laser printer…the toner is MUCH cheaper. You can get a great Brother MFC laser for about $129.</p>

<p>Speaking of wireless printers…a friend’s son goes to another school and set his printer up for wireless…after a couple of weeks of knocks on the door from others on the hall asking for their printouts, he decided to go wired :)</p>

<p>^^^ He messed up. He should have been charging some serious dough for those printouts. LOL</p>

<p>Paid about $135 for D’s Brother MCF printer.</p>

<p>So is it recommended to have a printer in your dorm? Or are the library/Ferg ones dependable? Are you charged by the sheet for those or is it just a set price?</p>

<p>My experience with “public” printers - they’re usually broken, and bring your own paper. Far better to have your own. Don’t depend on wireless, use a cable. A multi-function printer is also called an “All in One.” I highly recommend them. I have an Epson XP-400 that’s fairly small. At work we have a dependable HP printer. I had a Canon whose ink was quite expensive (although it was made for photos).
FYI, history less: before wireless printers were invented, wired printers also did NOT come with a cable.</p>

<p>I would recommend buying a printer. I had one during my time on campus and it saved long trips to the library just to print out a one or two page paper late at night (or early in the morning before class). </p>

<p>The only time I used the printers in the library was when my printer ran out of ink. They are conveniently placed in the libraries (both Bruno and Gorgas, the two libraries I use) and I’ve never had trouble printing something out. The cost is 5 cents per page and you have to use your ACT Card to pay, so it uses up Bama Cash.</p>

<p>Burke Hall has a public printer, but I only used it when I was desperate, because the printer is suckish. One semester, my printer was broken and I had to use the “public” ones. Depending on the location, like the ones in the libraries usually ran smoothly and many academic halls also has some. You do have to pay to print and the cost adds up, if you’re pitching pennies, but the cost wasn’t outrageous. As other has said, it would be best to just buy a printer, because convenience. But you can live without it.</p>

<p>Parents of OOS students who will be flying home - remember your darlings will probably need to print their boarding pass. Even though a “suckish” (really enjoyed that BTW) printer may be available, in the stress of learning where to get on the shuttle and flying by themselves, etc, YOU may feel better knowing Johnny or Suzy doesn’t have to traverse campus to pick up his/her boarding pass (or get to the shared printer and find someone else has picked up the boarding pass).</p>

<p>The HP multifunction printers are neat because they have a custom email address that you can email attachments to. When you send an email to that special address, anything you have attached to the email prints, such as a PDF or a Word Doc. I have used it more than once to send something to the boy he needs, but if I attach to an email, he can’t be bothered to open an print.</p>

<p>Loved the term suckish… going to start using that. It is right up there with craptastic.</p>

<p>can’t they print the boarding pass at the airport?</p>

<p>Yes, you can get your boarding pass at the airport. However, most of the kids will be traveling during the holidays when it is going to be way more crowded. If they are not checking luggage (say for short trips like Thanksgiving & Fall break) they can avoid the long lines and go straight to the security line. Some kids might be rushing right after their last class to catch their flight with not much time to spare. One messed up long line to check in at the airport could screw them up and leave them stranded at the BHM airport till the next flight they can put them on. Having your boarding pass already printed makes it easy. </p>

<p>Southwest now has kiosks to put in your CF# to print a boarding pass but if they are lined up as well or out of service…</p>

<p>Ok- BHM is really nice now…I am sure that if you don’t have a printer you can find one from a friend… as of right now mine isn’t taking one…</p>

<p>Just a friendly fyi, mine has been told not to be printing off for others. It is the ink that is crazy expensive!!! Knowing my luck, she would print off a bunch of papers for friends and then when it is crunch time for her and late at night and needs something printed off for the next morning she would be out of ink. The ink cartridges that come with the printers are not 100% full like they are when bought seperately.</p>

<p>Having a printer isn’t necessary, but I highly recommend it. Like anything else, borrowing is possible, but can also lead to issues if it becomes too frequent or one sided. No personal insult intended.</p>