Are there schools that are handling the war well?

Meaning no hate being fostered on campus. Bringing the student body together. Can we start a list?

ā€œBringing the student body togetherā€ suggests a conformity of views on the subject. Other than Yeshiva U ( and similar), most colleges will have a diversity of viewpoints, and often ethnicities represented.

3 Likes

Yes. The USMA at West Point, the USAFA, and the USNA.

6 Likes

You donā€™t have to have the same views to have peaceful discourse and discussion. I know Dartmouth has worked very hard at this and the student body seems to have embraced it.

3 Likes

I think that there are three separate entities - the administration, the faculty, and the student body. To be honest, I have not found a single university where all three are in sync. And I am looking!

1 Like

Schools focus in engineering/technical areas or on commuter students or located away from either coast generally have less politically engaged students, and sometimes faculty.

I suppose schools that value activism in their holistic admissions process attract students who protest all kinds of things, perhaps without giving much thought to their actions. And said schools are more hesitant to shut down protests.

Not saying itā€™s excusable, just making an observation.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a good point. Vanderbilt sent out an email yesterday saying that they are not experiencing the turmoil that many other universities are experiencing and that while there is passionate debate, itā€™s been respectful.

3 Likes

Yesterday, Vanderbilt University was one of 66 National Universities shown on a major 24 hour news network (pretty sure that it was Fox) as one school with disruptive protests about the Isreal / Hamas / Palestine matter.

FWIW I noticed that Dartmouth College was not on the list even though almost all other super elite schools were on the list.

1 Like

Thatā€™s helpful. Thank you!

1 Like

For any ā€œlistā€ the criteria ā€œhandling wellā€ needs to be defined in practical terms.
I donā€™t think any university in itself is actually ā€œfostering hateā€, or is ā€œdividingā€ their student body.

Which is not synonymous with a school not handling the war well?

I would think that most ā€œprotestsā€ (unless they are in unpublished letters) are disruptive.

So, if the criteria is, which schools had not yet seen students engaged in any protests (for either side), then this might just mean that those schools are not (yet) handling the war at all, hoping it will all blow over.

Iā€™m (very) afraid that the intensity of feelings will only increase as civilian deaths and suffering mounts, as well as losses among soldiers. I see the potential for expanding protests, drawing a wider circle.

For that reason, I would tend to include colleges on that ā€œlistā€, that already did have to deal with very passionate protesting by both sides, incl. the overreaches, the repercussions - based on how those colleges and faculty are dealing with, and continuously adapting to, the reality on the ground!

I wonder to what degree the diversity of the student population might play into it?
A college/area that has a substantial contingent of students from families/cultures that have a stake the conflict, is more likely to have intense debates among students or public/visible expressions of support.

3 Likes

Concur about Dartmouth and hereā€™s a piece about it:

I think the NESCACs (similar to Dartmouth) have been pretty engaged without being disruptive:

Here is the question posed. So the responses must be named colleges that have done a good (or bad) job handling the issue

Esoteric concepts should be placed in this thread.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If youā€™d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.