Are you guys thinking of applying to HBCUS

<p>How many college rankings that put many HBCU’s above so many PWI’s need to be produced? How many competitions from every area of study, business, engineering, journalism or what ever need to sourced? How many reasearched grants listed or recruitment data shown? </p>

<p>The point is if it helps some sleep at night to think that all HBCU’s are not worth going to then they can never be shown enough evidence.</p>

<p>My family has been graduating from HBCU’s since the 50s and the only place my daughters will be applying are HBCU’s!</p>

<p>Mr Luggs-</p>

<p>He is obviously very intellectual because this man is a multi millionaire. There is something in that brain of his. Even though he may act stupid in front of the camera, he has the intellectual sense.</p>

<p>@Blackbanana- I too want the best of the best. My parents won’t let me apply to an HBCU. Even though I wouldn’t choose Howard over UPenn , Howard is a great school. You can thrive in any environment if you put forth the effort. </p>

<p>@Loviespeac3- Yes, he’s a multimillionaire. But that’s like saying every multimillionaire’s an intellectual. I certainly wouldn’t consider Paris Hilton or Snoop Dogg as intellectualsb:P. Excelling in your respected field doesn’t necessarily qualify you as an intellectual. But, Diddy does deserve props for staying on his grind xD.</p>

<p>Sure, HBCU’s are good…for some people. </p>

<p>I just would never consider myself one of those people.<br>
And to say that they are not segregated when they clearly are (hence the name) is disingenuous.</p>

<p>The hard truth is that many whites and some blacks or other races would never attend or consider belonging to a Black Institution of any type no matter what it offers. </p>

<p>That is the reason some of these schools have less than a 10% white population. Which of course is about the same in reverse on every other college campus in the nation.</p>

<p>seg·re·ga·tion</p>

<p>noun /ˌsegriˈgāSHən/ 
segregations, plural</p>

<pre><code>The action or state of setting someone or something apart from other people or things or being set apart
- the segregation of pupils with learning difficulties

The enforced separation of different racial groups in a country, community, or establishment
- an official policy of racial segregation

The separation of pairs of alleles at meiosis and their independent transmission via separate gametes
</code></pre>

<p>sep·a·ra·tion</p>

<p>noun /ˌsepəˈrāSHən/ 
separations, plural</p>

<pre><code>The action or state of moving or being moved apart
- the damage that might arise from the separation of parents and children

The state in which a husband and wife remain married but live apart
- legal grounds for divorce or separation
- she and her husband have agreed to a trial separation

The division of something into constituent or distinct elements
- prose structured into short sentences with meaningful separation into paragraphs

The process of distinguishing between two or more things
- religion involved the separation of the sacred and the profane
- the constitution imposed a clear separation between church and state

The process of sorting and then extracting or removing a specified substance for use or rejection

Distinction or difference between the signals carried by the two channels of a stereophonic system

The generation of a turbulent boundary layer between the surface of a body and a moving fluid, or between two fluids moving at different speeds
</code></pre>

<p>My husband and I are both graduates of HBCUs but our daughter decided not to apply to any. An HBCU is not for everyone and no one should look down on anyone who chooses to attend one. I will say that when certain companies are recruiting minorities, they will look at HBCUs. We never had a lack of fortune 500 companies at our job fairs. That has to say something about the quality of HBCU grads, if it were not so, then I don’t think those companies would be coming back year after year. </p>

<p>I can honestly say that in my 20+ years of employment, I do not feel that my degree from an HBCU is looked at in any less light than a degree from an PWI. Beyond your first job, you are looked at more for what you have accomplished than from which institution you obtained your degree.</p>

<p>I wish my D would have shown more interest in either my or my DH’s alma maters but she didn’t and neither of us pushed her because in the end she has to pick a school that she wants not what we want.</p>

<p>So for those of you trying to decide, I recommend at least looking at them and what they have to offer and if you have an open mind, you may be pleasantly surprised.</p>

<p>I agree with almost every aspect of the above post.</p>

<p>@tusk91
Do your children want to go to HBCUs or are you forcing them to? From your post it seemed like they have no option but to apply to HBCUs.</p>

<p>Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using CC App</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>What on earth, then, would you make of the existence of Donald Trump?</p>

<p>They want to go to an HBCU but, you are right they never had a choice for undergrad. That’s the way me and my wife always planed it, she a graduate of FAMU me a graduate of Tuskegee.</p>

<p>But, with that in mind they visited many HBCU campuses growing up. If we were on vacation or visiting a city that had one we visited the campus. They have attended several FAMU graduations of family members, have visited Tuskegee so many times that they could get around the campus better than many freshman. </p>

<p>Almost every relative on there mothers side and my side are HBCU grads. So they know the campuses first hand and they know the graduates and by the time it was all said and done they only have a desire to attend one.</p>

<p>Here is a quick example and reason why my oldest will be applying to FAMU in “Tallahassee”.</p>

<p>The game plan is to earn a PharmD degree from FAMU. They have what is known as 0-6 Pharmacy program just as Hampton Univ does. In that program you spend your 1st 2 years in Pre-Pharmacy and as long as you successfully complete those 2 years you are accepted into the Professional Pharmacy program.</p>

<p>After you complete four more years, you earn your PharmD degree and go on to make a medium income between $92,670 and $121,310 a year.</p>

<p>Link:</p>

<p>[url=&lt;a href=“http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos079.htm]Pharmacists[/url”&gt;http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos079.htm]Pharmacists[/url</a>]</p>

<p>Unlike the University of Florida where you first must earn a Bachelors degree before even applying to there Pharmacy school.</p>

<p>The funny thing is that there are so many folks down here in Florida debating whether or not to go to FAMU or University of Florida. Debating whether or not to be a Pharmacist at an age of 23 rather than the age of 25 All because they just can’t see themselves attending a HBCU!</p>

<p>One last point every Pharmacist must past a national test, the “NAPLEX” to measures a candidate’s knowledge of the practice of pharmacy.</p>

<p>So whether you graduated from any TWI or an HBCU that has a Pharmacy program(FAMU, Hampton, Howard, Xavier or Texas Southern Univ.) you all have to pass the very same national test!!!</p>

<p>So how does it help in any way to go to a TWI?</p>

<p>Naaahh… I’m not thinking about applying to any HBCUS. I don’t even know what it stands for; but I’m assuming it has something to do with being black. </p>

<p>I honestly don’t think I’d fit in at an all-black school, or at least mostly blacks. In all my life, I never really fit in with my black peers b/c I can be shy or quiet sometimes, I never really say “waddup shawty” or “ain’t”, and apparently I read too much. The only time a black kid talks to me at school is when they need help with homework, or want me to write their essay(I always say no). And I guess I dress differently, too. I don’t like flashy clothes, like they wear. I wear stuff like cardigans. Not all the black kids at my school are like this, but most are. I still love black people nonetheless. I just feel awkward around my black peers, at least at my school. Even black guys don’t like me! Lol it’s mostly white or Mexican guys.</p>

<p>Besides, I like diversity. I can’t stand being in a school that’s predominatly _____. I like campuses with blacks, some whites, sprinkles of Asians, handfuls of Latinos, pinches of pacific islanders, etc. The only schools I’m applying to are USC, Cal, UCLA, Duke & maybe Notre Dame. Cal and USC seem te most diverse:) And I love California.</p>

<p>^ Oh my god… are we twins?! everything.and I mean everything… you just posted described me perfectly. Except I’m pacific islander and Dominican + black. You might not be ahaha.</p>

<p>Sent from my iPhone using CC</p>

<p>^^ I felt the exact same way. People said I read too much or that I act “white” and other things along the lines of that. Apparently I act proper because I am kind of quiet all the time. I have a lot of friends and I love them but I never really felt like I fit in. I’m actually nigerian and like my parents have always stressed education. I never really felt a really huge emphasis on education from majority of the student body at my school. I love diversity , it kinda gets old when everybody is exactly the same. My mom actually works at Howard and even she didn’t want me to apply there or to any hbcus. But I have really good friends going to hbcus. I’ll just say it isnt for everyone. I understand the many ppl want to go there bcus of the richness of the culture and connections to their history. But I’m not really “African American” so I never felt this deep longing to attend a hbcu.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>…Or spelling.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>It’s a pity that you think that’s the only way you could fit in with your peers.</p>

<p>^ yea it was typo I corrected it</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I agree. So sad.</p>

<p>How is it sad ? I think by stating a few examples of the certain words predominantly used by her peers she is trying to show how the differences in her speech and that of her peers makes her not exactly feel like she fits in with them.</p>

<p>hmmm</p>

<p>God Givenwealth, Marinebio, and Determined123</p>

<p>Where exactly do you guys live? I mean not exactly like…in the south…or something.</p>

<p>You guys give this notion about black people that I have never even seen before. I have been to public school almost all my life, except for 3 &4 and now my sophomore year going through my senior year. And being in public school, I have never seen, ever, black people act like the way you described determined123. I mean I say aint myself and wats up to people, but everyone at my public school, and even my private school, does the same. Nobody says shawty though( I live in California.) </p>

<p>Also, the black people at my school…we ALL talk to each other. No matter if you are nerdy or whatever, all the black people know each other. And they are definitely not all college bound. Matter of fact, most of the people that went to my old school ended up going to continuation school then to community college.</p>

<p>And the things you describe(ie cardigans and such) that you wear…a lot of people wear that…sooo…i dont know. I wear it. Its in style. lol</p>

<p>Reading too much and stuff isnt “white”…thats just plain ignorance. </p>

<p>Maybe yall live in the south or something(thats what I’m thinking)</p>

<p>Because schools in California and New York(I’m going to school in New York right now) are not like that at all…</p>

<p>I’m just pointing this out(no need for anyone to get all defensive)</p>

<p>Also, Cal is no where near diverse. USC yes, but you can never put a UC as being diverse, those two words dont even belong in a sentence unless it contains “not”.</p>

<p>Berkeley barely has multicultural events and my friend who goes there says that diversity is a big problem there because it is predominantly asian and white. With Hispanics and Blacks below the 7% mark.</p>

<p>

Actually, I do.
I live in arguably the most racially divided city in America - Memphis, TN. I got picked on when I settled here for being the only high yellow person in my class(es). Ridiculous? Of course.</p>

<p>So much racism and ignorance, especially in public schools. I’m one of two Latinos, the only Pacific Islander, and one of only a handful of black people in my school’s honors/AP/IB classes. In my English class this year, we had a discussion about race and all but 3 of the non-minority students in my class (19 non-minority, 26 total) expressed that our public schools would be better off segregated.</p>

<p>At my school, if you don’t “fit in” with the “regular” black people (boys - saggy jeans, Ed Hardy / Christian Audigier / LRG / Hollister shirt, Jordan’s; girls - tight jeans, 5 inch heels, Jordan’s, Aeropostale / Hollister/ Abercrombie [any other brand of shirts is labeled “white”]) you’re an outcast.</p>

<p>Which is one of the reasons why I’m dying to leave and go (back) to California.</p>