Army ROTC vs. AFROTC

I am a high school student and I want to be in the military, but I don’t know how long. I plan on doing the ROTC program at Texas A&M. I know that after the military I want to have my own business (most likley something athletic) or work for the government in the CIA, secret service, police, firefighter, FBI, etc. (I want an action job not a desk job unless I own a business.) So I am trying to decide what branch I want to go into the military after college. In the military, I want be grunt, on the front lines and stuff. So I want to be either a ranger in the Army or a pararescueman in the Air Force. I am very smart and athletic My mom is wanting me to do AFROTC because it is safer, but safety is no concern of mine. The army is also sounds more appealing to me, but I still want to look at reasons for being in both. In the military, I am looking for action, the brotherhood, being able to lead men, and being able to do well in the civilian world after I leave the military. So what are some pros and cons of both, and what is the best option based on my standards?

Then you should enlist, instead of trying to become an officer. Even 11A have to do desk work, plus officers aren’t really expected to do grunt work. You have to lead and give orders to your troops, not the shooting and lifting. As for your point about the rangers, Most infantry officers go Ranger or Airborne, but they still end up in the same position. Ranger officers are still officers, they don’t do grunt work.

You can’t be a pararescueman if you do ROTC, that’s an enlisted position. If you want to do ROTC, the last 2 years require a contract to become an officer. The officer equivalent is a Combat Rescue Officer.

I literally laughed when I saw this (no offense). Danger isn’t really specific to a branch, but rather more so depending on the mos/job.

Also the “I don’t care about safety” is the exact kind of thing that is going to either get you or the men under you killed. There is a big difference between having courage and having a blatantly irresponsible disregard for safety.

I think your standards are pretty hilarious, so I am just going to throw in a few point here. First of all, danger and action really depend on what sort of work you are going to be doing. A Pilot in the AF will most likely see more action than an Army Intelligence or Air Defense Officer. An Infantry and Armor Officer in the Army will most likely see more action than an AF Security Forces Officer. Maintenance, Finance, Legal Matters, and Logistics for both branches are basically the same (Non-combat, very safe).

Picking a branch should depend on the job, not the overall branch. However, I have heard the AF has better living standards and more conveniences.

As a final note, you seem to really want to focus on a great civilian lifestyle after the military. From what I have heard, many people who do hardcore ranger/special ops combat stuff usually have terrible back pain and health issues, especially starting in their 40s and 50s. You seem exactly like that kind of person who would push themselves too far and end up with injuries that would disqualify you from service (there are people who get hurt badly in ranger school and end up with desk jobs in the military). So just keep an eye out and don’t break yourself, not matter how “smart and athletic” you think you are, you aren’t superman.

Let’s try to remember when we respond that this is a high school student you are talking to. He’s excited, he’s gung ho, and after all, safety is a fairly basic instinct. I think we know what he means when he says “safety is no concern of mine”. I think he means he is ready and willing.

@kaydeeloo

Right, but the way he uses

You are correct in that he is gung ho, but he is gung ho to a pretty extreme extent.

I see your point, kaydeeloo, but I think @RMNiMiTz is also in high school.

now, just to clarify, you can be in the Corps and NOT do ROTC. about half of them don’t. so unless you’re deadset, I’d wait until you know for sure. You can always join the Corps and do ROTC in your junior year. We are telling our son to wait. my husband was in the Corps and commissioned after 1 year of grad school (he started ROTC his sophomore year so he needed 1 more year or something to that effect…) and hubby’s dad was in ROTC at t.u. and was career army. so we are pretty familiar with the whole ROTC scene, but we wanted our son to make sure that IS what he wants.

from your post, you sound like you’re full of abstract dreams! and that’s wonderful for young people!!! You might want to go see for yourself before making up your mind. A&M has great programs like Spend the Night with the corps and Spend the Day with the Corps. Go check them out! Go and meet students in Army ROTC and air force ROTC. Talk to them and see what life is like. I don’t know what your academic stats are like, but keeping up grades AND being in the Corps is not a easy thing to do. You’ve got to be pretty dedicated. But it is a great leadership development opportunity. Best wishes!

@gogogogobruins

Yep, but I don’t really have his type of gung ho attitude. I get that his attitude is “heroic” but to me it just seems a bit crazy.

While I am planning to enlist (in order to do SMP with ROTC), and I would be willing to do a combat mos, I most certainly don’t have the “front line, fear nothing, no worries about safety” attitude. @Gmoneyg05 literally sounds like a living meme (smart, athletic, fearless, etc. etc.). I certainly don’t know him very well (or at all), but seeing the way he portrays himself just cracks me up.

I think Kaydeeloo was saying “hey grown ups let a kid be a kid and go easy on him.” He does sound like he has a lot of maturing to do, but he is a kid. Not to say teens can’t be mature. My son is going into the Corps and I believe Kaydeeloo’s son is too. And my son is definitely NOT testosterone filled macho type. Quite the opposite. He’s a fencer and he’d much rather read 2000 pages than lift 2000 pounds. :slight_smile: