Article comparing UCs to other state schools

3 Likes

What I love about rankings - and there are many different - but most see the UC and then CSU below and to many applying is an insult.

Yet, in this ranking, SDSU ranks above UCI. And SJSU and CSUF rank above UCSC.

Yet they rarely make the consideration set when it’s “UCs” or bust.

Another ranking - another yawn.

I think few put UF and U Washington ahead of UVA - but here you go…

2 Likes

Happy to hear that my tax dollars are showing strengths in both State public systems.

Let me toot my horn. I am the product of a CSU and transferred to CSU as a Junior at SDSU. The way that SDSU prepared me for my profession was extremely and professionally tough, rapid and stressful :wink:.

They had a large staff of professors from every part of the world, with one expert from NASA, who worked with astronauts on body positioning in a weightless environment, which translated to using gravity to help patients with strokes or TBIs with movement and positioning. SDSU brought in professionals, from every field of health/physiology, to work with us, hands on, for clinical and lab training.

Not to diminish the UC’s, as 2/5 of my family have received their degrees from them, but I would never have received this training at a UC theory-based school. People have always been impressed by my knowledge of all aspects of rehab in language, speech, hearing, and patient range-of-motion studies. I have been asked to supervise Masters degree candidates from all over the US. My latest was a student from NYU. She was apparently impressed and took my training back to NYU to show them how SDSU students are trained in rehabilitative services. She was offered a position at a highly ranked hospital in La Jolla, CA. My husband, has often commented that he was floored by the amount of exceptional training that SDSU required and provided to its students.
Just my rah-rah for the day. Go California Publics!

3 Likes

Many public schools are undervalued and un(der)recognized for the great education they provide to a vast range of students from diverse backgrounds.

3 Likes

The page linked in the first post has this:

Given California’s public college and university policies for the last several decades which are intended to increase access to those from low income families (both in terms of attendance and in-state financial aid), the above is not surprising.