Artistic acceptances MT/Acting class of 2026

Cant see how she can go wrong with Northwestern with all of those an easy possibility. Their top notch acting and academic profile cant be beat.

1 Like

I havenā€™t posted much, but now I would appreciate feedback.

DS is pursuing Acting. Heā€™s a strong student and has been involved in every production his school offers, but he has no private acting or voice training. Heā€™s also interested in devising and has worked on some independent projects.

Rather than attend an intensive acting program at one college last summer, DS attended SUTE (Summer University Theatre Experience) in the acting track (they offer MT too, but he didnā€™t want that). At SUTE he did workshops with 10 different professors and heard about the different programs. He learned about what each program offers and how the programs are different from each other. It made a huge difference in where he applied and being prepared for the application process, especially because I know nothing about applying to conservatory style programs and couldnā€™t help much. He chose to apply to 5 BFA programs and 7 BA programs.

BFA programs:

Carnegie Mellon ā€“ did not pass prescreen

U Michigan ā€“ did not pass prescreen

Syracuse ā€“ passed prescreen, rejected for BFA, but accepted for BA

UNCSA ā€“ (no prescreen), rejected

Boston University ā€“ accepted

BA programs (accepted to all he applied to):

Bard

Bennington

Kenyon

Northeastern

Oberlin

Skidmore

Vassar

We feel really lucky not to be dealing with waitlists which seem to be everywhere this year.

Heā€™s undecided about where to enroll. Weā€™ll be doing some accepted student visits.

5 Likes

Fantastic choices. I have to second Northwestern due to her interest in comedy. She really canā€™t go wrong with Brown, Vassar, or Wesleyan either.

1 Like

My S is at UNCSA but had similar BA acceptances. We were very impressed by the theater department at Northeastern

1 Like

Congratulations! Pretty awesome options! I think Northwestern and Muhlenberg are more like other bfa or ba programs that are more performance and training focused. Vassar has a ton of great opportunities and professional shows will go there to workshop pieces. Wesleyan I think is a great general creative focused school with a strong film program. Donā€™t know about the others.

1 Like

Feel free to send me an email Chrissiewright78@gmail.com and I can share everything we know about OCU. Iā€™m happy to answer any questions.
Thanks
Chrissie

1 Like

Weā€™ll be at Vassar on the 10th! Maybe weā€™ll see you there? Looks like great choices on your list.

1 Like

What a fantastic list of acceptances! Congratulations!!

My son is hoping to get off the Pace waitlist as it is first choice before he makes any decisions. Guess that means we are going up to the May 1 deadline!!

1 Like

7 waitlists?? WOW! Thatā€™s a lot of wait lists!! Which way is your kiddo leaning?

just for fun!

17 schools on original list.

3 noā€™s on prescreens: UMich, Texas St, Penn St

14 auditions (no non audition safeties this year)

Acceptances:

Nazareth BFA MT
Marymount Manhattan BFA MT
Lynn U BFA MT
UAB BFA Acting
FAU BFA MT

Waitlists:

Emerson BFA MT
Wagner BA MT
JMU BA MT

Artistic Noā€™s

BOCO (happy to pass prescreen!)
NYU
BW
Otterbein (passed prescreen though!)

Academic rejections, so we will never know about results of auditions sadly

Syracuse (very odd, last year she was waitlisted there!)
U Miami

Reading all the posts I realize my DD applied to a very small number of schools and she also didnā€™t have any non audition safeties. B/c this was a gap year and she knew who liked her last year I think she felt safe doing this.
I canā€™t reveal her choice yet but she is pretty close to deciding on an awesome school.

The academic rejections were huge disappointments as they were top schools for her and she felt great about both of the auditions.

Next two weeks she shadows at her top two choices. And then we make the deposit and dance the hora!

10 Likes

I will today, we are done, DD committed today.

6 Likes

My son has been accepted for Musical Theater at American University, wait-listed at NYU and JMU. He is still waiting to hear from Penn Stateā€¦ we thought he would hear by April 1, but he has not. Anyone else still waiting for Penn State? I looked on line and it says ā€œrollingā€ but decision is due by May 1.

2 Likes

i would def contact penn state! every decision should be out by now! we are also on jmu waitlist. good luck!

Thanks. He sent an email to them on Friday night, but his Penn State Portal is not updatedā€¦ He got accepted to JMU for acting, but wait listed for Musical Theater, so he is not leaning that way. This is a painful process!!

sooo painful! yeah the waitlists arenā€™t figuring strongly bc they arenā€™t my daughters dream sxhools. we are all almost there!!!

1 Like

Congratulations on your Dā€™s amazing options! (Iā€™m disappointed in Williams and Middlebury, but given her theatrical aspirations, I think sheā€™s better off at most of the schools that had the good sense to accept her.) Northwestern does seem like the best choice, but she should speak with current students or recent alumni about their experience with the quarter system. My Dā€™s friend is in the acting program and our family knows numerous current students and recent alumni in other divisions of NU ā€“ while they all love it, they do say that they feel like they are in a constant cycle of mid-terms and finals which is stressful.
The other area I would explore is the possibility of double majoring in a discipline at the music school if she hasnā€™t been directly accepted into that school. IIRC the music school requires an audition not only for first-year applicants but for NU students who want to transfer into that division. (Our tour guide was making the point that itā€™s generally easy to transfer among the divisions if current students are in good academic standing with the exception of the music school.) I would ask if students outside the music school can double major without being enrolled in the school of music.
Looking forward to seeing where your talented D lands.

2 Likes

Thank you! She has a friend who is in the program, so we are hoping to sit down with her (and maybe some other students) to talk through questions.

Yes, I have been trying to think how the relationship w/ music would work. She is split between violin performance and composing for music theatre and film, and the B MUS requirements are BIG. So, Iā€™m thinking either she asks about flexibility in a BA Music to double or just does a Composing minor and takes the stigma of ā€œNon Music majorā€ violin lessons. Ha ha!

Would love to ind someone w/ experience at Brown or Dartmouth. Brown sounded great, but seems opaque when we look for course listings. Maybe I should do a new topic for that.

1 Like

Iā€™m so sorry. It been a long time since I checked in. Im Not sure about T&T - if you can try again later or not. My D has kept it on her list as it is the most affordable school for her since she has in state tuition, big merit $ & honors college. But honestly itā€™s kind of an after thought at this point since she has many fine BFA options. & She has always felt it is more MT focused & that the Acting program is secondary there. Just Her opinion.

1 Like

Oh my goodness - my D loved Ryan & David @ NWU. She had to release her spot since we couldnā€™t make the $ work. But David in particular she connected with & his credentials are impressive - especially if your D is interested in screen acting. I hope it works out that she likes it.

3 Likes

Anyone here get off the Guthrie waitlist this year or previous? Wondering if it has movement? Thanks