As freshman year comes to an end, hindsight thoughts

Wow, it is really hard to believe that it was a year ago that ds was gearing up for his May Bama Bound session. At that point he had visited campus 3 times, thought the dept was a good fit, and was convinced that the undergrad research opportunities at UA surpassed what he would be able to experience at his other higher ranked options. (Undergrad research was just about #1 on his personal list of required criteria.) Ds walked away from all his top school acceptances without looking back, especially from a couple of schools where he was explicitly told the level of research he wanted to participate in was what grad students did, not undergrads.

UA was not on our radar until ds’s sr yr of high school. At the beginning of the application season, I never once seriously believed UA would be his final choice. It was his safety. Our personal knowledge of UA was limited to a curly A, an elephant, a houndstooth pattern and awesome scholarships. :slight_smile: But, as the application season moved to visits and serious questioning about universities and their commitments to undergrad opportunities, UA repeatedly surprised me and sold ds by constantly rising to the top in response to his questions. (And ds had plenty. He interviewed schools. He interviewed dept deans and undergrad advisors. He sat in on classes. He sought out a school that offered him what he wanted.) He no longer viewed UA as a safety, but a serious contender bc they were offering the very opportunities that he not only wanted but in his mind needed for his long term career objectives. The research was one aspect, but the ability to take grad level classes, have his DE and AP credits transfer in so he could double major and still have time for research, be part of an honors group that he believed seriously valued its students, have peers who were at the top of their game…he believed last yr that UA offered it all.

Now, with just a few days remaining left in his freshman year, looking back at what were his hypothetical assessments and evaluating them in real terms, UA has matched all of his expectations. He was actively involved in research the entire second semester and in training to take over a graduating sr’s role. He will be particating in paid research this summer doing particle research (which is an area of strong interest). CBH and that whole group of students and professionals could not have been any better. He took upper level classes which were challenging and met his needs academically. He has learned a lot, made great friends, and says coming home for a visit before his research starts is going to be nice, but he is super excited about going back and participating in the research.

As a parent that says it all for me. He is super happy, thriving, challenged, and learning. He is moving forward with his vision for his life. He is forging his own path and UA is the foundation for that path. When I as a parent see my child having such a positive experience in achieving his desired objectives, I know he made the right decisions, too.

Well done, UA! Thank you for valuing your undergrads and providing such great educational opportunities!

Thank you for sharing! So happy this is all working out so very well for your son :slight_smile: ROLL TIDE!

I’m very glad to hear that your son had an amazing first year at UA. Y’all will be happy to know that his UA experience will get even better as time goes on. As Nick Saban once said, this is not the end; this is the beginning.

Roll Tide!

DD had been on the fence until today. I had her read this (and several other posts), and we had a great talk. Before I left for work she had me put down the deposit at UA. Her only worry is that they for some reason turn her down for the Honors College. On the phone yesterday the Honors office told me that it was basically automatic with her stats. I sure hope so. That was one of the swing factors.

What you were told is correct. If she has the stats and applies, she’ll be admitted to the Honors College.

@TV4caster Congrats to your daughter! Hoping her time at the University of Alabama brings her much happiness and success!
Roll Tide!

@Mom2aphysicsgeek Thank you so much for your post! UA was not on our list until my DD senior year (which is quickly coming to an end) and never did I think she would choose UA, she was looking for a small school in-state (GA) with a dual-degree at GA Tech. We did not know about the scholarship offers until we received her ACT score, then we went for a visit, I was still sure she wasn’t going to choose UA and went on the visit just to enjoy a short trip out of town. The more she looked into the school and we went for a couple more visits, the more she fell in love with UA and the thought of being able to achieve all of her goals while there. She has dreams of a dual or triple major and coming in with AP and DE credit. The people we have met at the school and on the amazing parent/student forums online have been more then we could ask for. We are signed up for the May Bama Bound and she has been working on potential schedules for Fall. It is all becoming real, very fast. Thank you for reassuring this mom that all the good UA has to offer is real and possible!

I’m glad you found it helpful. I remember how stressed I was last yr b/c our son is just not your typical kid and we wondered if some place like UA would really meet his needs. He entered UA with 300 level math and physics credits. And you know what, he jumped right into 300 and 400 level courses and was challenged and has thrived. The notion that really strong kids aren’t found at schools like UA is just false. He is surrounded by them. :slight_smile: