Asians at W&L

How’s the experience of Asians at W&L? Are they being included? Can they get leadership position?

Our family is not Asian so hopefully others will respond with personal experience.

However, my D’s roomie/bestie freshman year (and this upcoming year) is and she had a phenomenal year. She will be in leadership roles next year, she’s in a sorority, she had a summer research position and will continue next year. She’s active in various clubs and campus organizations.

You can get a lot of information from the various social media accounts for W&L.

If you have specific questions about leadership opportunities let me know and I can ask my D’s roomie if she’s willing to PM you.

5 Likes

If I can bump this again… W&L is 4% asians. 77% white. I have a biracial, asian/caucasian, son who is a recruited athlete. By all accounts he’s pretty handsome (although all I see is a goofy slob lol). He would be coming from the west coast. He has reservations primarily around a stereotype portrayed to him that a fair number of southern white girls would be unwilling to date him. I get it. The school has a bit of a history. unfair right? Or…

I’m happy to share what my D has observed or connect you with current students. Feel free to DM me if you prefer.

If it matters, my “southern white” daughter has attended events with several Asian boys. Her best girlfriend is Asian and she has many Asian friends in her sorority. Data point of one, but that is her experience.

ETA: The current student body and attitude is quite different from the “history”. Feel free to reach out.

1 Like

Thank you. I will reach out to you if my child is accepted. Thanks again.

1 Like

Of course. I’m happy to connect your kids with my D and her friends, if that helps. I don’t want to sound flippant, because I understand your concerns as a parent, but I can think of several of my D’s Caucasian friends currently dating Asians (long-term).

I realize it is easy for me to say, but I have neither observed nor heard of anything that would be cause for concern.

@cinnamon1212 Has your son mentioned any issues with his Asian friends finding dates? Hoping to give potential new parents another data point. :grinning:

1 Like

Zero issues! My son is Caucasian too though so speaking to Asian students might be best. My son’s fraternity has Asian students, and my son historically has been drawn to Asian kids(high school as well as college). His girlfriend is of Chinese descent.

I agree with @DramaMama2021 that the school is very different from 40 years ago.

Let me know if your son is a soccer player!

1 Like

Following up on the OP question about inclusion and leadership… I suggest checking out the social media pages.

Instagram: wluleadership, wlushepherd. wlunews, wlu_panhellenic, wluoie

There are others, but I’d start with those just to get a feel for campus events and who is participating.

1 Like