Ask a Current Binghamton University Student Anything!

<p>

</p>

<p>My son is a Freshman in a 4 person suite in Mountainview and loves it. IIRC there are many other Freshman in his building…</p>

<p>Hi! I’m currently a second semester freshman at Bing and thought I’d help answer any questions as well.</p>

<p>@teelaxi - Freshmen can get a 4-person suite in Mountainview. The only other communities with suites are CIW (5 or 6 person) and Hinman (4 or 6 person). New Dickinson has “flats,” which consist of two double rooms and one single room. </p>

<p>@ChrisPaul - You can buy milk and bananas in any of the dining halls. After they close, you can also go to the CIW or Hinman convenience stores and get those types of things. Also, it’s definitely possible to live in Newing as a freshman. I live here now and I love it. My floor is mixed with freshmen, sophomores, and a few juniors and everyone’s very social. The rooms are like hotels compared to dorms at other colleges and, although it’s the furthest from classes, I would definitely recommend it.</p>

<p>Are internships usually offered in the summer? What if I want to work during the school year? Also is a car necessary for in-town internships?</p>

<p>Thank you very much!</p>

<p>HealthyFruit: Internships are offered all times of the year - it varies a bit based on the type of internship and whether you want a full-time or part-time one. The Career Development Center works with employers during all semesters to make internships available for students.</p>

<p>You can definitely work during the school year, either in a part-time job or internship. I had a part-time federal work study job at the Career Development Center before I even arrived on campus. I later also got a part-time job as a Tour Guide. The biggest resource for you to find a part-time job or internship is eRecruiting. eRecruiting is a website maintained by the Career Development Center. They post jobs from employers who have specifically asked the university to help them recruit Binghamton students, which greatly increases your chances of success at getting a job/internship. These are employers that understand what it means to have a Binghamton education and place a high value in that. eRecruiting has a special section for part-time jobs during the school year for current students. Incoming freshmen for Fall 2013 will receive access to eRecruiting in early August. Here is the website: [url=&lt;a href=“http://binghamton.experience.com/experience/login]Experience.com[/url”&gt;http://binghamton.experience.com/experience/login]Experience.com[/url</a>]</p>

<p>Whether you would need a car depends on where your internship is located. If it’s in the city of Binghamton or Vestal, then you probably would not need a car because we have two free bus services (OCCT and BCT) for our students that have buslines that run through those areas frequently. If you got a job or internship farther away, you may need a car to get there.</p>

<p>~Rob</p>

<p>Thank you for taking the time to answer questions. My son is waitlisted, and I am quite happy with where he may go if he doesnt get into Binghamton. Still, BU is his first choice and much more affordable the the school he is now most likely going to. My question is, have you heard of many people getting taken from the waitlist? I have a feeling he was waitlisted because he chose Engineering as his major. He has several friends accepted to BU with similar stats, but they are all business or liberal arts. We have been writing letters to admissions expressing significant interest and will start doing so after May 1 (when they know exactly what openings they have). Do you think letter writing every week or so helps put his name in their minds, or are we wasting our time? thank you in advance.</p>

<p>Hi
Is there any student here from Translation Studies or related department? I really need help to decide between Kent State and Binghamton uni in PHD of translation studies …</p>

<p>DadRangerfan: We do not currently plan to admit many students, if any, from our waitlist. Over the past few years, a greater than usual percentage of admitted students have accepted our offer of enrollment, so we have been using our waitlist less than normal. I do not think that calling or writing letters in the meantime will move you up the list at all. Were you offered the chance to enroll in the spring?</p>

<p>~Rob</p>

<p>When transferring into Bing, do the grades received from the previous school transfer over too or just credits? Also, for classes that dont match a Bing course, what happens to those credits when transferring into Bing?</p>

<p>328xi07: When you transfer college credit or exam credit (such as IB or AP) to Binghamton, you receive those credits but do not receive grades for those courses. You start fresh with your GPA at Binghamton.</p>

<p>If courses do not specifically match a course here at Binghamton, one of a few things could happen. You could receive elective credit. This means that you earn credit towards your graduation and the credit counts towards your class standing (which helps you get earlier registration times, etc.). This elective credit could possibly come with a general education requirement attached to it, meaning that you wouldn’t have to take a specific gen-ed requirement at Binghamton. This elective credit could possibly count as an elective course within your major as well. You may also be exempt from taking a course or placed in a higher level course. You will always receive some form of college credit for an AP score above a 3 or a college grade above a C.</p>

<p>~Rob</p>

<p>Thank you. Guess we’ll know for sure by June 15. I just hope that wait list is very short and they aren’t stringing too many people along. Sometimes a flat out rejection is better then a wait list situation.</p>

<p>Out of 519 who accepted a position on the waiting list in 2011-2012, only 20 were offered a slot off the list.</p>

<p><a href=“Office of Institutional Research - Office of Institutional Research | Binghamton University”>Office of Institutional Research - Office of Institutional Research | Binghamton University;

<p>If Bings is your son’s top choice and he desperately want to attend, then I would make the effort to show interest.</p>

<p>Yippee, we have been and will continue to. Thank you for encouraging us to do so. We are just waiting until after May 1 (when all decisions are due, and they know either way how many openings, if any, there are). Fortunately we are quite happy with his current choice, but unfortunately not with the cost.</p>

<p>Thanks for your greeaat advice! I have another question. I am accounting major, but I love playing piano and want to get trained when attending Binghamton. Is it possible for me to choose an individual piano class? Thanks again!</p>

<p>feiyanswallow: Absolutely! We have music classes, bands/orchestras, student clubs, practice rooms, and lessons/tutoring available for both music majors or minors AND non-majors at Binghamton. We accept out students in large part because of the huge amount of involvement they had at their high school or former college. It would be rather silly on our part to force you to drop some of those activities once you arrived, so we try to ensure that you don’t have to.</p>

<p>~Rob</p>

<p>Thanks, Rob! Very excited to know this information!</p>

<p>Hi, </p>

<p>Do you know which communities have transfer only floors?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>328xi07: I do not have that information, unfortunately. I recommend that you contact Residential Life, as they might have that information available by now.</p>

<p>~Rob</p>

<p>Do you know the percentage of A’s within a Class?
or number of A’s?
How hard is to get GPA over 3.5 in Psychology major?</p>

<p>Skim0031: It depends largely on the class and the professor, but the distribution tends to follow a typical bell curve in most classes. It takes work to get a high GPA, but it is possible if you show up to class and study until you’ve learned the course material. I’m a freshman. I had a 4.0 GPA my first semester and am on track for all As except in one upper-level class (Linear Algebra) where I’m on the fence between an A and a B. You definitely shouldn’t expect to be able to skate by without studying, but if you put in the work to learn everything, it’s very possible to maintain a high GPA.</p>

<p>how is the political science major here…?</p>