Ask a current student anything and get honest answers

<p>winter in miami.......
it's 61 degrees out now.....was in the 70s yesterday :)</p>

<p>Don't worry, it will get up to 74 later in the day.</p>

<p>Anybody else sorry that they ever learned about the popups on My UM? Because of this knowledge, I am now checking the site at least once per day, just in case the accidentally put something up early...</p>

<p>I have a question..... how diverse would you say UM is? It's not like all blonde beach bums, is it?</p>

<p>As a non-current student, i can tell u that the football team is not blonde :D</p>

<p>From Collegeboard.com:</p>

<p>53% Women
47% Men
1% American Indian/Alaskan Native
6% Asian/Pacific Islander
7% Black/Non-Hispanic
19% Hispanic
49% White/Non-Hispanic
8% Non-Resident Alien
12% Race/ethnicity unreported</p>

<p>to nothing at all:
I'm currently a freshman at UM, and here is my opinion on diversity at the school. If you will be staying in the freshmen dorms (hecht/stanford) there is very little diversity, even less in hecht for some reason. This is because most of the spanish students from the miami area commute and don't live on campus and the athletes live in Mahonney/Peason. Yet you will see more diversity in your classes. There are actually not that many blonde beach bum guys, I grew up in West Palm Beach and we had wayyy more guys like that there. However there are more girls that fall into that category, but it's not a ridiculous number or anything. There are a lot of spanish kids on campus and a lot of international students. Yet I feel that there aren't too many black/asian kids. I feel like most kids are white and from the northeast. Hope that helps!</p>

<p>wat is ur opinion about Lafayette</p>

<p>w00t for white Northeastern kids!</p>

<p>how are the parties? is there a lot of beerpong?</p>

<p>Wow, I can't believe some people's concerns.</p>

<p>Some of us know what college is really about. ;)</p>

<p>life is a party</p>

<p>I thought it was a highway?</p>

<p>Will I get to meet the cast of CSI Miami if I go there? I would definately go to UM if I could meet Horatio and Calleigh. On a more serious note, I was wondering how far the campus is away from the beach? Is it within walking distance? Sorry I'm from Arizona I have no idea. Thanks</p>

<p>I applied regular admission to the U and I have a few questions. </p>

<ol>
<li><p>I'm from California (as my name would suggest) so how hard would it be for a west-coaster to adjust to a place on the other side of the country? </p></li>
<li><p>I have a 4.10 or so weighted GPA and a 1360/2050 SAT score and a 22/120 class rank. (I go to private school). What are my chances at getting a merit scholarship? I can't afford this school otherwise. </p></li>
<li><p>How is the social life. I know there is great sports here (I'm a big sports fan) but also are there a lot of other activities to get involved in or do you have to look around a lot to find anything? I laugh when i say this, but how are the parties here? Are they mostly binge drinking in the dorms (not attractive to me) or is the policy a bit more lax and are there more parties out in the open? Just so you don't get the wrong impression lol parties aren't what I'm all about.</p></li>
<li><p>How are the people? Are they pretty fake and superfluous or do they have a little more depth to them from your experience. Do people care about learning or is it something people do just to get it over with and onto the parties? </p></li>
<li><p>Are the profesors good teachers and really want you to learn or do they just give a lot of busywork?</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Thanks for all your help.</p>

<p>I'm not a student, but have read a lot about the school, so I'll try to answer.</p>

<ol>
<li><p>I would not think that it would be too difficult, but it depends on how well you adjust to new places and people.</p></li>
<li><p>GPA is decent, SATs are right on the bubble, and class rank is a little low, so I don't really know.</p></li>
<li><p>There are a ton of activities and student organizations at the school. I've heard that most people will go into the Grove (clubbing) or to a frat house and there is not a lot of drinking that goes on in the dorms.</p></li>
<li><p>Most people have a split opinion here. Many will say that everybody is fake and superficial while others say that it is not hard to find kids who are not like that. Being from the west coast, I'm sure you are used to that by now though ;) .</p></li>
<li><p>I'd rather let an actual student answer this, but from what I've heard most of them are pretty good.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Hope this helps, and I hope that a current student can tell you if I am right or wrong.</p>

<p>How is housing? I know there's a huge problem with parking (or at least was when I visited last year), but are a lot of people tripled, etc?</p>

<p>I'm very curious about Miami because I'm not going to have an opportunity to visit there since its far away from me. In another thread, someone told me to take it off my list beacause of "issues in South Florida" or something like that. What was he talking about. I know UMiami is in Coral Gables, a nice subrurb, so whats the deal? are there issues with South FL or something?</p>

<p>Hurricanes perhaps?</p>