Ask a current student anything and get honest answers

<p>Bank of America and the credit union will have a sign up tables at orientation and will set up student accounts on the spot. A word of caution we received about the using the credit union is that if at some point the student moves off campus, the only atms with no fees will be on campus. BOA atms are all over the area and there is a full service branch right across the street from campus.</p>

<p>crazed - yup, NS syn. is not far from me. There is a large LI contingency at UM, but also lots of kids from all over the country and lots of International students, so it's a good mix.</p>

<p>Best of luck to your s at UM!</p>

<p>My son is thrilled with the diversity on campus. Seems like a good fit.</p>

<p>???? What about printers for the computers.</p>

<p>Is there an advantage to using local banking?</p>

<p>We have Bank Of America here but it would require gong to a branch to make a deposit. The credit union sounds convenient too. The disadvantage to both are fees and convenience of deposits form home. IF the student has a local job either one sounds OK to make deposits. However if the student does not have a job and is getting all the money from home, is there any reason not to use the same bank as the parents who can then do on-line transfers to the student's account (and in my case- we have fees waived so using ATM machines anywhere is fine).</p>

<p>Also, if you do not have a checking acct how do you pay your phone bill?</p>

<p>OK students- give me your advice on this one...</p>

<p>I can help a little with the BoA questions. Believe me...BoA is BoA no matter where you are at. While the bank routing numbers may be a little different (the far left digits on your checks) assigned to certain areas, it matters not. I've used BoA's from MA to NM to FL to MN. No problem. </p>

<p>
[Quote]
in my case- we have fees waived so using ATM machines anywhere is fine).

[/Quote]
</p>

<p>You will need to watch the ATM fee's themselves though. Your bank may waive the charges on their end...but many ATM's nationwide will charge a fee to use their ATM to begin with. I used my ATM card in WI two weeks ago, and got hit with TWO charges. The BoA charge...and the ABC bank up there's charge. </p>

<p>BoA has free internet banking.... And...if your parents have BoA, then the student accounts are free. </p>

<p>I can't say that there are more advantages/disadvantages when using a local bank, I have just found it was much easier and saved money by doing so. Best wishes!</p>

<p>What about printers for the computers.</p>

<p>Every dorm has a computer lab with great printers that print on both sides of the page...... but it's in black and white...</p>

<p>I have a color printer for my room, but I rarely use it.... I end easily up to 100pages a week for classes so it's just more economic to use the printer labs instead of wasting my own paper/ink.... </p>

<p>I would suggest getting a printer for your sons/daughters room... not a very expensive or fancy one though, because they will probably rarely use it..... that printer would be for cases of emergency, i.e., if they finish writing a paper right before there 9am class and the computer labs are closed....</p>

<p>Anyone who can answer..my question is this..</p>

<p>I'm actually a transfer student (I'll be coming from Chicago) and I was wondering how it is for transfer students coming into the university? Obviously, I don't know anyone there and if I'm able to..I'll be living on campus..but how is easy of a transition is it for transfer students? As far as "fitting in" and making friends..will it be fairly easy? I know this is sort of subjective..but any feedback will be helpful.</p>

<p>I personally know three transfer students. One is a junior that transferred from NY, and she's made friends just fine (she transferred as a sophomore).... the other is a junior from Boston University (her family lives in Miami though) and she was planning on just doing a semester here, but she decided to stick around.... she obviously has a lot of friends here because she grew up here..... and the last one is a junior who transferred last semester from a community college in Orlando, and she's also made a lot of friends.........</p>

<p>sooooooo I think you'll be just fine! </p>

<p>Just as a side note, if you end up living in the freshman dorms it will be easier to make friends but then most of your friends will end up being freshmen (that's what happened to the last friend I listed).... the first one I listed made most of her friends in classes and by going out to clubs</p>

<p>Thanks! Yeah, I think it'll be okay. That's the only thing I'm concerned about though.. is if I do end up living on campus and in the freshman dorms..I'm 21, so I might feel..out of place..as you said. Lol. As far as the other dorms go..I know there's a mix of freshman, w/ sophomores, and upper class men.</p>

<p>ladyconfused, whats freshman orientaiton like? I was told that parents are encouraged to stay the whole time, do you think that is a good idea?</p>

<p>ladyconfused, do students encounter snakes or crocodiles while on or around campus ? I don't really like them ^^</p>

<p>Groenveld9- Great question. I asked my son this and he thinks I'm a neurotic mother (which I don't deny)!!! Awaiting an answer to this one!</p>

<p>ALL- I started a thread today.- WHEN DO FRESHMEN REGISTER? Lots of questions. Please go to the thread and answer for me. Thanks.</p>

<p>I've never heard mention of snakes, but my son sees crocs in the lake.</p>

<p>i've seen the crocs in the lake quite a few times. they are more afraid of ppl than us of them. they are not going to start chasing you, they keep close to the water when sunbathing.<br>
Ive only seen one snake...the reptiles are truly not an issue when walking to class.
the ducks pose more of a problem when you have to walk over them since they want to continue sitting in the path.
we also have pelicans and parrots...im a big fan of our wildlife</p>

<p>ladyconfused, whats freshman orientaiton like? I was told that parents are encouraged to stay the whole time, do you think that is a good idea?</p>

<p>During orientation you meet up with your orientation group at around 9am... and your group basically goes to multiple events everyday.... Having a parent here is good during orientation, because you'll likely be overwhelmed by being in such a new environment (unless you have a close friend that is also going to UM).... I tried to find my orientation schedule of events from last year but they changed the website! hmmm</p>

<p><a href="http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/0,1770,6583-1;42922-2;13810-3,00.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/0,1770,6583-1;42922-2;13810-3,00.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Crazed, that should answer your questions about registration...</p>

<hr>

<p>ladyconfused, do students encounter snakes or crocodiles while on or around campus ? I don't really like them ^^</p>

<p>I've never encountered any reptiles (except seeing crocodiles from a far distance)... they are VERY easy to avoid ;)</p>

<p>are u kidding me? I cant wait to hang around with them crocs and Ibises lol!
they amazing creatures and they love hanging around with us CANES!!</p>

<p>i like most animals... just not that keen on crocs and snakes ;) thanks for the answer!</p>

<p>glittergal-Regarding orientation, there are separate activites on Sat and Sun just for parents. We found the sessions informative so if your parents can stay great, but if they can't, that's also ok. There is a parents' brunch with Pres Shalala on Sunday morning. We found loads of parents on campus through Saturday, with less on Sunday.</p>

<p>UM is still preparing this year's orientation schedule, but here is a link to the orientation site.
<a href="http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/0,1770,12548-1;48697-3,00.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/0,1770,12548-1;48697-3,00.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>why is www6.miami.edu ? and not just <a href="http://www.miami.edu%5B/url%5D"&gt;www.miami.edu&lt;/a> :)</p>