Ask a graduating senior...

<p>“coleonaroll,i was wondering if you knew anything about the PRISM program? is it worthwhile or is it unnecessary? also, did you use AP credits to get out of the first few bio/chem/calc classes or did you start from the bottom? i’ve heard many people say that even if you have credits, you shouldn’t use them in your major. is this good advice?”</p>

<p>I was actually the year before they started PRISM, but I have heard good things about it. For one, it allows you to evade a particular orgo professor that everyone loathes here. It does seem like a lot of work though, and a lot of class time which can go either way. For me, I like minimal class time, take the test and get it over with. For me school was always just there to take the tests and keep the GPA. Certainly you want to know the material because the MCAT will eat you up if you don’t, but an over bearing course load can eat up your time for EC’s. I still think the Honors classes route was great as I had small classes or maybe 20 and it was very bearable, especially Chemistry classes. Do yourself a favor and sit in on a couple of the PRISM classes, talk to some current students at their classes, how much time it takes up from their week, and the professors who teach the classes. Remember if you are pre-med or pre-law or pre anything, its the GPA not the knowledge that counts (sorry this may sound really bad but its the truth). Worse comes to worse, spend extra time studying for the MCAT (if you are pre-law the LSAT has nothing to do with your classes). PRISM may be overkill.</p>

<p>I came in with a ton of AP credits. Yes, I did use them to overcome many of the pre-reqs but I took more advanced classes or retook the classes in some cases. It is really your preference, but some med schools want to see actual grades for these classes so you may have to retake these classes anyway.</p>

<p>What about the freshman dorms?</p>

<p>Hecht or Stanford?</p>

<p>Are the RAs cool or strict in general?</p>

<p>Quiet hours?</p>

<p>Visitor policies?</p>

<p>Stuff like that.</p>

<p>You didn’t answer my question!!!</p>

<p>How good is the communications department???</p>

<p>"You didn’t answer my question!!!</p>

<p>How good is the communications department???"</p>

<p>Sorry cristina001. My roommate freshman year was in the school of communications. He has received internships every summer throughout college and has a job lined up. He wasn’t a spectacular student (3.5ish) but the school gave him some great opportunities. From my understanding it may not be as great as maybe NYU or Syracuse but the school is nice. The building is very nice compared to other buildings on campus, and you can park right outside without worrying about finding a parking spot, something most students don’t have the luxury of doing here. </p>

<p>Remember, the school doesn’t take you there, it’s all up to you. I have students from frickin FIU and some hobo school in Colorado going to medical school with me at a top 10 medical school. Go where you will flourish. I think Miami would be great though.</p>

<p>NizzBR:</p>

<p>Well, I’m be frank. The dorms blow. I was fortunate enough to live in upperclassmen housing my freshman year (Eaton, Mahoney, Pearson are for upperclassmen). I’m pretty sure the school doesn’t allow this anymore though. Stanford and Hecht are are old buildings and to me they seemed like prison cells. I mean they weren’t bad per se, but everytime I would go chill with one of my friends you could hear the dbags next door blasting their music, and you could even hear music from down the hall. I perfer to use the lavatoryin peace in the morning, but as I am sure you are aware its community style in Hecht and Stanford. Upperclassmen dorms you share with three other guys or girls. </p>

<p>I will say this, though, you sure do meet a hell of lot more people this way. The only women I met freshmen year were those from class and when I chilled with my friend over at Hecht (hotter women = Hecht). There were ALWAYS chicks on his floor for some reason. Remember that one floor is all guys and most likely the floor above is all girls.</p>

<p>Also, if you end up hating the housing remember its only for one year and then you can move out of campus or to the upperclassmen dorms (or if you have enough AP credit UV).</p>

<p>To continue;</p>

<p>The RAs are cool. My good buddy is an RA and we go out drinking once a week. The only problem is that they kind of have to do their “job”. So if you are an idiot and bring, oh I don’t know, a keg or some illegal substance and he catches you he kind of has to rat you out. Don’t be an idiot. </p>

<p>When I was a freshmen, Hecht was codename for hot chicks. All the “studious” people were magically paired up in Stanford and most, if not all, the sorority chicks (to be) made their way to Hecht. Needless to say I never hung around with my “friends” in Stanford. I guess it doesn’t matter, per se, though. I mean once you get on the grind, the same kids eventually are hitting the clubs and the Grove together so it really doesn’t matter. One buddy lived in Stanford and always came over to my other buddies apartment in Hecht and they left from there to go out. No dorm parties at this school, sorry if thats what you are looking for. I mean there maybe was the occasional drinking and whatnot in the room with a couple of buddies and maybe a couple girls, but that was by large just pre-game. The kids here end up going hard, and I mean clubbing.</p>

<p>Quiet hours. Again I lived in upperclassmen housing my freshman year and then that was the end of dorm life for me. I’m pretty sure quiet hours are universal on campus, so after a certain time (10 or 11?) you have to be quiet. Also, during finals no talking is allowed… there are study rooms downstairs in both Hecht and Stanford and they are quiet. Also, just to let you in on a secret, you can study in the music performance rooms downstairs (they are quiet and no one is ever there). If I were to live in one of those buildings that is what I would do. If I remember correctly these are in Stanford. </p>

<p>So bottom line if you come here to study live in Stanford. If you came here to get laid and party live in Hecht.</p>

<p>Visitor policies: you have to sign in and leave your ID after a certain time (if I remember correctly 10pm)…other than that you can bring Lil Wayne up to your room and no one will care.</p>

<p>Actually, I’m quite certain that if you were to bring Lil Wayne up to your room, there would be quite a commotion. ;)</p>

<p>Cool. Thanks man.</p>

<p>I’m sure as hell glad I put down Hecht as my first choice! :D</p>

<p>coleonaroll, where were you finally accepted for medical school? What was your major/EC? Does the school offer any internship opportunities aside from research experience? I’m interested in transfering in now that I was accepted but I’m still hesitant about my major, and I’m back and forth between UF and UM.</p>

<p>Sabrina1317;</p>

<p>I would prefer not to give too much information on a public forum. I will tell you that I am leaning heavily toward a US News top 15 school. I have a scholarship offer from another institution and Miller of course is always attractive. Nonetheless, May 15th is the official day you must choose what school you want and drop all other offers. Hence, a lot can change after May 15th and this is when the waitlists start moving like crazy and the mad rush starts. So maybe I might even get off the waitlist and be heading to a top 5 school next year? You will find, though, that most people (non prestige whores) don’t really even care about rankings any more (the further you get away from hs the less you care about these types of things). It is an accomplishment to get into A medical school.</p>

<p>I studied psychobio, biochem, and english lit. I don’t really want to disclose my ECs but they were prob a little above average. I thought outside the box a lot, and UM was very friendly in allowing my ideas to flourish. I also won some awards here that I never thought I would stand a chance at winning. I think I did a lot of good not only for the community but also for the student body.</p>

<p>What type of internship are you looking for. There are business internships here and I think I even saw an internship to spend a semester in Africa researching great white sharks (sounded pretty cool). If you mean medical, no. Remember you are an undergrad and unless you get EMT certification or a nursing degree, you can’t and shouldn’t touch a patient. There is a volunteer/shadowing program at the hospital though.</p>

<p>Pick neuroscience (neurobio).</p>

<p>If you don’t mind me asking, why are you transferring. I may be able to give you further information to help you decide. Remember the golden rule, go the cheapest route because it doesn’t get any cheaper after this…</p>

<p>oh my god, why wouldn’t I transfer?!?</p>

<p>I don’t think it’s a big deal to disclose what path you took in regards to internships or EC work. I don’t even think it’s a big deal to say where you got into medical school. No one is going to duplicate your path, but you’re entilted to your own opinion on what and what not to share on a public forum.</p>

<p>I’m pre-med and I’m interested mainly in psych/psychobio and neuroscience. Before taking this route, I was interested in broadcast journalism (as I’m sure everyone is at first until you see how difficult the job market is). I soon dropped that dream and started taking the chem classes, cal, every psych class I could, etc. And here I am now, possibly going to UM. I’ll come out with some kind of debt considering I didn’t get a full ride scholarship. It wasn’t my first choice school but it’s too late to go back and re-apply as a transfer AGAIN.</p>

<p>Thanks to you and a ton of student at the accepted students orientation, I know it’s possible. Not everyone changes their major to PR or business. it’s just tough to not be discouraged when you hear these horror stories of students not getting into med schools, etc.</p>

<p>hi,</p>

<p>I want to be premed and I saw that you said to make sure you get certain teachers, can you tell me which ones please.</p>

<p>I second that notion mjsgirl. Are you going to be a transfer or freshman for fall 2011?</p>

<p>Freshman YAY.</p>