Ask a UM student anything!

<p>@collegebound For me it was by floor last year</p>

<p>@niquii There is a metro right across the street and you can buy a parking pass for that monthly. No idea what it costs</p>

<p>Just checking: freshmen get their own closets in Stanford and Hecht right?</p>

<p>Oh also, do they come with bars to hang towels on and/or a mirror with a light above it?</p>

<p>Yes, you get your own large closet. You will need your own hangers and organizing bins such as hanging fabric sweater/shoe storage, crates, etc. depending on how you want to arrange it. There is a mirror above the dresser and a towel bar. Removable Command hooks are useful to hang hats, etc.</p>

<p>SVMMom’s dorm room pictures:
<a href=“https://picasaweb.google.com/1084112...eat=directlink[/url]”>https://picasaweb.google.com/1084112...eat=directlink&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>youtube video of a decorated room kimaples posted last year is here:
University of Miami Hecht dorm room - YouTube
<a href=“University of Miami Hecht dorm room - YouTube”>University of Miami Hecht dorm room - YouTube;

<p>I have a question. My daughter plays snare drum in our pipeband. IF she’s accepted for next Fall, could she try out for the school band if she wanted to? Or is that just something for the Frost students. Just curious, she wants to enter into the School of Communications, but if there is any scholarship money offered for this type of thing, it would help tremendously with the cost. Thanks!</p>

<p>Does UM Have a Glee Club?</p>

<p>Like Momthechauffeur (wow, can I relate to that screen name), I have a band question too.</p>

<p>Are there opportunities for musicians to play in more casual bands then, say, the formal school band or marching band. DS plays saxophone (loves jazz) and I’m wondering if he can still play at college (beside just on his own). Not a determining factor, by any means, I’m just curious.</p>

<p>I’m hoping someone with more concrete knowledge comes along here…</p>

<p>However, I live in the S. FL. area (about 40 minutes to the north of UM) and my neighbor attended Barry University and played in the UM band. The band has always been very small, and this is going back over 30 years to when I was a student at UM. I have always been under the impression that the small student population makes it harder to field a very large band, and they welcome kids from the neighboring colleges.</p>

<p>I wanted to add that from what I understand, they welcome a range of kids from different backgrounds and even different schools.</p>

<p>Again, this is what I have been told and what I have seen. I hope someone with more knowledge of the situation comes along.</p>

<p>Sorry it’s such a late reply, everyone, I kind of forgot about this!</p>

<p>@mastergears–I really have no idea because I haven’t graduated. I would go research some of the stats but honestly I’m not entirely sure how much the alumni network matters anyway. If you have good enough grades and experience you should be able to get a job wherever you want.</p>

<p>@christena629–You kind of just go around and meet people on your floor and get to know them, setting things up in your room also takes a while. You can also explore campus and the surrounding area if you want. YES BRING YOUR CHAIR the one in the dorm room is wooden with worn fabric cushions and what drove me NUTS was that it didn’t have arm rests.</p>

<p>@Elzorro–What I did was keep my bank account from home and use the debit card connected to that account, but I also opened a University Credit Union account with a little money in it so I could take out cash easily and without fees. We didn’t want to mess with BOA because they have a ton of fees and horrible service.</p>

<p>Don’t buy your laptop from UM, they’re overpriced. You can still get tech support from the school. Honestly what kind of laptop doesn’t matter. If it runs on Windows or Mac they’ll know how to deal with it.</p>

<p>Something I definitely used was those little Comman strips and command hooks. Worked well for something else to hang my towel on and to hold up my mirror. I also used little twist ties (like the kind that come with trash bags) to bundle cords and keep it neat. Other than that there are some general lists floating around the internet that should definitely help.</p>

<p>@Devonte32896-- I can’t really help you there. I do have a friend that’s a theater major but I think you just need to research their rank in that area.</p>

<p>@CollegeBound77-- Your orientation group is your floor</p>

<p>@Niquii77-- Honestly not having a car was frustrating sometimes and I’m a bit miffed my parents won’t let me bring it this year. But it was doable because of the shuttles and the metro station. I did know someone who paid to keep her car at some lot nearby, but I’m not exactly sure where.</p>

<p>@christena629-- Yes each person has their own closet. There are bars to hang towels and a light above the mirror.</p>

<p>@MomTheChauffer-- I’m not quite sure, since I’m not in the band or a music major. You might want to research it a bit on the site.</p>

<p>@Devonte32896-- I don’t think so. You can find a list of all the student organizations here: [University</a> of Miami - Organizations](<a href=“http://um.collegiatelink.net/organizations]University”>http://um.collegiatelink.net/organizations)</p>

<p>@LINYMOM-- I’m not entirely sure, I would also suggest looking on the website for anything about it</p>

<p>My DS is an incoming freshman. If I understand correctly he won’t have a schedule until a couple of days before classes start. Do most students puchase their books prior to the start of class? Do they purchase them at the bookstore on campus? Thanks!</p>

<p>@boyswhofish-- That’s right. Most classes don’t expect you to have the book right away but I did have one class that starting assigning reading right off the bat before I even had the book. Sometimes the professor will even tell you that you don’t need the book though.</p>

<p>I would not suggest buying from the bookstore. They are ridiculously overpriced. Try to buy from another student–there’s a Facebook group actually for exchanging textbooks–or online. Amazon is my go-to place and with a .edu address you can get a year of free prime shipping. Always buy used.</p>

<p>What I did this past semester, which UM will not condone whatsoever, is buy the book from the bookstore while waiting for it to arrive from Amazon. Once it arrived, I took the bookstore book back. The library also has some copies of textbooks you can rent out while waiting for you book to ship. But really you are going to save a TON of money that way.</p>

<p>A few experience nuggets in regards to ordering books from Amazon: </p>

<ol>
<li><p>Sign up for a student Prime account, so you can get 2 day shipping. It is worth the money and one account can be shared by 3 other members of your family. </p></li>
<li><p>Expect used books to be WELL used - last year my D got one that was basically all yellow - nearly everything on every page was highlighted - if you like pristine books, don’t buy used from Amazon.</p></li>
<li><p>Don’t freak out if you don’t get your package on exactly the 2nd or 3rd day after you order it - the folks in the UM tower lobbies that receive, sort, notify and distribute packages are swamped in August.</p></li>
<li><p>Provide a good shipping address - the UPS/Fedex drivers need the street address, so when you supply that in the Amazon order web page, put the street address first, otherwise it may get truncated (happened to us last year). Here are 2 examples of addresses: </p></li>
</ol>

<p>–> Example of a student living on the 8th floor of Walsh Tower in Stanford:</p>

<p>Sally Student
1239 Dickinson Drive
Stanford Residential College
Room WT 822
Coral Gables, FL 33146</p>

<p>–> Example of a student living on the 7th floor of McDonald Tower in Hecht:</p>

<p>James Bond
1231 Dickinson Drive
Hecht Residential College
Room MT 707

<p>For freshmen, do I have to move in the day it says? My last name starts with a C so I am told to move in on august15. Do u think it would be ok if I moved in the 16th with the students last names p-z?
I called and the girl on the phone says that’s fine… Idk if she really knew what she was talking about though</p>

<p>christena - Yes, it is perfectly fine. They won’t stop you from moving in early or later.</p>

<p>To add to ZincWhiskers, you can actually abbreviate the building in the address:</p>

<p>Rosborough:
Sally Student
1239 Dickinson Drive
SRC RT 822

<p>MacDonald:</p>

<p>Walsh:
Sally Student
1239 Dickinson Drive
HRC MT 822

<p>Etc, etc</p>

<p>@christena629-- Yeah you can pretty much move in whenever you want… they do this to try to make it less crowded, but honestly it doesn’t matter if you come even a couple days early, they’ll let you move in</p>

<p>How does the whole financial bill work? They have a deadline, but what if you can’t make that deadline? Does the financial aid office work with students?</p>

<p>I know there is a monthly payment option - we didn’t use it, but it appears as a link on your myUM page.</p>

<p>Is anyone else having the problem of your florida prepaid not showing up on the bill?! I have called and they still havent fixed it…</p>

<p>We were told it should appear on the bill on the 15th. Fingers crossed!!!</p>

<p>And it’s not there… I guess I’m going to call for the 3rd time, I also sent an email about it that was never answered…</p>