Ask a UM student anything!

<p>@Chinadoll772-- No idea since we always pay in full when the bill is posted. I am sure they will work with you because they aren’t just going to turn down money. Look around a bit on the financial office part of the UM site to see if they have anything about it.</p>

<p>Hi, I was wondering if you could help me…
So, I wanted to apply RD, that way I could do well 1sem and strengthen my profile. The thing is, UMiami’s reg dec deadline is Jan 1. First semester ends around Jan 10. Should I just apply EA?</p>

<p>@Rolando4-- I would probably just go ahead and do EA, that way they are still handing out plenty of scholarship money. Honestly, one semester isn’t going to make a huge difference and they are going to receive a copy of your final transcript anyway. There’s no point in putting it off.</p>

<p>how is the transfer community at um like? and the greek life for sororities? also, transfer housing is in mahoney/eaton? is um worth the tuition? i was accepted for transfer for fall 2012 for college of arts and sciences and wanted to know if there are other transfers here as well.</p>

<p>Hey if i have a 4.1 weighted and a 3.3 unweighted just like an estamate around what SAT score would best ? … This is probally an awkward question but yeah lol</p>

<p>Thank you Justbus! I’m pretty sure I’ll just apply EA now.</p>

<p>@summerchica-- Not really sure about transfer life… I only know one person who transferred (second semester of freshman year) and he absorbed into our friend group pretty well. He ended up in Eaton. If you’re not a freshman you’re not going to be in hecht/stanford. If you are transferring in the middle of the year, you most likely won’t be able to get in hecht/stanford so yeah you’ll probably be in mahoney/pearson or eaton.</p>

<p>I also can’t speak on greek life because I’m not involved with it, but they seem to be pretty active. Frats are the only greeks who have houses so there’s a party like every weekend or so at one of them.</p>

<p>About it being worth the tuition, I certainly enjoy my time there and think it’s worth it, but then again my parents are paying my whole tuition and it’s not really a problem for me. If you’re going to be loaded down in debt, I’d think twice, but that’s just because I am pretty frugal with my own money.</p>

<p>@Twiggy22-- I have no idea. Just go look at the average SAT/ACT scores and you generally want to aim a little higher than the mid range in order to get scholarships.</p>

<p>Random question: does the university give students planners??</p>

<p>No on the planners, but the bookstore sells a nice one!</p>

<p>@christena629-- No they don’t hand out planners. I do NOT suggest buying them from the bookstore though because the price will be over-inflated. (I think they were like $12-14, which is ridiculous). I bought one from Wal-Mart before I went to school for like $1-$2</p>

<p>Thanks for the tip!</p>

<p>If I apply to the school of frost at um for music industry & entertainment major do I still need to fill that extra form and are my chances decreased by a lot? Would it be better to just apply to the liberal arts college?</p>

<p>Is there a convenient platform by which I can engage prior students that had been enrolled in classes that I may currently be taking? What is the best way to seek out students that have previously succeeded in the same course(s) of interest?</p>

<p>@xleaxsan- I don’t know since I’m not in the school. I hope you were able to find an answer</p>

<p>@phantombrain- I think your best bet would be getting into the UM Facebook groups (they have one for each college, major, etc). Facebook just started them this year, but you might have to have a UM email address to be in the network and join. Other than that, I’m not sure. You could try the subreddit on ***********/r/umiami too</p>

<p>Is there any way to get around the city that isn’t expensive as hell or ridiculously slow/unreliable? I’ve been pretty disappointed with public transit here in Miami and it’s been extremely difficult to get off campus.</p>

<p>I’ve found the Metrorail to be pretty good…</p>

<p>Also, you can sign up for Zipcar. It’s a little expensive, but it’s good for when you need a car to get someplace and don’t wanna pay for a taxi.</p>