Ask about Milton

current student here! happy march 10th y’all!

If you have any questions about Milton Academy (boarding life, campus culture, academics, athletics, arts, anything), I am happy to answer :slight_smile:

1. What is a typical school day like, with after-school activities?
  2. Are there classes on Saturday and Sunday?
  3. Since Milton’s day and boarding population is 50/50, how vibrant is the boarding life at Milton?
  4. How is the student support like at Milton?
  5. General campus culture? (collaborative/competitive/relaxed, etc.)
1 Like

Tell me about math… what’s the highest math class Milton offers? And can one test into precalc or calc in 9th grade? TIA

You can find their course catalog here https://www.milton.edu/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/2023-2024-Course-Catalogue.pdf Math courses start on page 20. The highest full year course is “Linear & Abstract Algebra” There are definitely students taking Advanced Functions (Pre-Calc) in 9th grade FWIW.

1 Like

Unless the kid is taking the prereq in 8th grade, one hopes that nobody is putting pressure on them to skip ahead.

Regardless, it is not uncommon for a BS kid to repeat their math or FL class. Just because they took geometry and Spanish 2 in 8th grade does not mean they mastered those courses to the BS expectation

On the flip side, they don’t make you retake a class you have mastered.

Regardless, 99% of the time, the school is accurate in the initial placement, even if the kid (or the parent) disagrees. For the 1% they get wrong, it’s quickly addressed at the beginning of the year.

Of all the things to concern oneself about, this is not one of them.

Well… it is for DS. He is currently taking precalc (started this math path at his school in 5th grade taking algebra using the AoPS curriculum). Yes, this is incredibly unusual and we are very fortunate. He is quite math-y on his own (promise)! DS noticed in the course catalog that there were many advanced math classes, but is curious to know if any kids even get to take them as the most advanced math track seems to end at calculus. So anictotally, our family was curious to know if kids are allowed to take advanced math classes, or forced to repeat classes already taken. It sounds like at Milton they are forced to repeat. Your candor is appreciated! Thank you!!

1 Like

How many would you say? (just curious…)

“Calculus” in relation to HS, invariably means calc 1&2 or the AP/IB equivalent. The course catalog as shown above lists many classes above calc 2 that 99% of high schools would not have. In the unlikely event that a student exhausts the curriculum, I’m sure options can be discussed.

The above would apply to most schools at that tier.

1 Like

Yes! You are correct! Hence the decision to apply to BS in the first place. It will be interesting to see what they have to say about the math path.

The classes definitely run. The are a group of juniors (Class II’s) who we know are taking multivariable calculus for example. This group includes students from the lower school who were on an accelerated math track as well as students who come in with the necessary material already covered. I am a big fan of the text book that they use, The Art of Problem Solving (https://artofproblemsolving.com/). They also have a few interdisciplinary math courses that combine computer science and math, or art and math or economics and math.

I was waiting for the OP of this thread to chime as it is always best to get a student’s perspective, but what has impressed me the most with Milton is how well-rounded the curriculum is, with the ability to dive deep into a given subject area if you wish. We were somewhat blown away on our first family day, where you get to sit in on your child’s classes and experience them in action. The foreign languages are much more immersive than I ever had, with students reading books, writing papers and watching/discussing media very early on. The history class blew us away, with the students actively debating challenging texts from all over the world, citing evidence and relating back to previous works they had read. We saw an english class dive deep on a challenging poem, analyzing it top to bottom using an array of techniques they had learned. It was impressive as the students not only contributed, but learned to build off of each other’s commentary (it feels like an honors colloquium). Science in the first year is heavy on learning how to perform and write up lab work. It seems like a foundation they build upon when the students get to Chemistry and Biology. And then there are all the required classes like performing arts where they learn theater games and some basic acting skills. Or public speaking. Or visual arts. While they do some of this in our public school, it’s the pedagogy and small class sizes that make this a different experience imo. The teachers really get to know the students and try to ensure they are growing as intellectuals no matter where they are relative to their peers.

1 Like

Is there a grade bump for honors/AP?

No. Very few boarding schools have weighted grades

No. Very few boarding schools have weighted grades

Nor do most have class rank, which is why schools have grade weighting.

1. What is a typical school day like, with after-school activities?
Classes run from 08:05 am to 3:20 pm (on Wednesdays, they run from 08:05 pm to 1:20 pm). Our classes are 1 hour long, but you might have an extended period on the 1st period or 2nd. If you have an extended period, your class will be 1h25m long. Moreover, lunch periods are either on the 4th period or 5th, and each lunch period is 45 minutes long. Usually, between classes, we have class meetings (one each week), all-school meetings (one each week), club blocks (four club blocks each week), extra help sessions (one each week), or advisories (one every Wednesday).

Also, we have two main schedules: blue week schedule and orange week schedule. Basically, our schedule is set up in two different ways, and we switch weekly. So if this week is a blue week, next week will be an orange. On my blue-week Mondays, I do not have the same classes I do on my orange-week Mondays.

After classes end, everyone has their after-school activities. Sports and rehearsals start at 3:30 and run until 5:30 (except for Wednesdays). If you do not have an athletic commitment, you are probably taking a Physical Education class (PE takes a free period from one’s schedule, but gives them a free afternoon).

Following after-school commitments, it’s dinner time. On Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, we have mandatory dorm dinner at one of our dining halls. On the rest of the days, we have regular dinner from 6 to 7.

After dinner ends, underclassmen (freshmen and sophomores) that live at dorms have mandatory quiet hours. How quiet hours work depends on each dorm, but basically, everyone has to be quiet doing their homework for two hours (yayy). That’s for underclassmen, however. Upperclassmen have the freedom to manage their time however they want.

Check in on weekdays are at 10pm. It might be slightly different for each dorm, but, usually, underclassmen and juniors need to follow lights out policies: 10:30 for underclassmen and 11:00 for juniors.

2. Are there classes on Saturday and Sunday?
No classes on the weekends!

3. Since Milton’s day and boarding population is 50/50, how vibrant is the boarding life at Milton?
I was really worried about that before saying yes to Milton, but it turned out to be very vibrant. Around 350-400 people live at one of our nine dorms, and dorm life is fun: our house monitors (seniors) work with each other to organize fun events (dodgeball tournament, movie nights, ping pong tournaments, parties etc.) within the dorms and with other dorms. Also, housing at Milton is vertical, so we stay at our dorms all 4 years. On the weekends, our Student Activities Association works really hard to provide a good variety of on-campus and off-campus events, and I truly have fun. Personally, I feel deeply connected with my dorm. It’s honestly like a second family. Let me know if you have more questions about dorm life!

4. How is the student support like at Milton?
I wouldn’t say that Milton is NOT a swim-or-sink school, but they are really good at teaching everyone how to ask for help, and we have useful help resources.

2-3 weeks before classes start, Milton campus is already full of students participating in our orientation programs. The program starts with the International Students Orientation Program: it’s a 3-day-long program focused on international students and their parents. They come earlier to campus than everyone else, get to hang out with each other, meet older international students, participate in a bunch of fun activities, and get the support necessary to adapt to the US before classes start (they take international students to buy stuff, and they help them setting everything up, like phone numbers, bank accounts etc). It’s a really helpful start for foreign students.

After the International Students Program, Milton hosts the Transitions Program. It’s a five-days-long orientation program for new students of color to get ready to join the community. All of the new students of color come to campus earlier, and everyone has to board for five days/one week (including day students). New student of colors get paired with mentors (that are also people of color, of course) and family groups, and it’s an amazing opportunity to bond with each other. We participate in discussions, fun activities, and learn a lot about identity and diversity at Milton. I’ve talked to A LOT of people about this orientation, and we all deem it transformative.

Following the Transitions program, we have the New Student Orientation Program. This one focus on everyone that is joining the upper school for the first time. We are paired with mentors and family groups too, and we participate in more fun activities and important discussions on identity, diversity, academics, and available resources on campus.

Parents also have their versions of the programs above (I don’t know a lot about what it feels like though)

Those 2 weeks before classes start are essential, and they emphasize how important asking for help is, and Milton adults focus a lot on teaching us how to ask for help. We learned a lot about it from personal stories, student mentors, and speakers. And after the program ends, the school year officially starts.

Regarding student support throughout the year, we have a bunch of resources. Academically, we have an Academic Skills Center. It’s a great option when students are struggling with procrastination, heavy workload, learning etc. Together with the Academic Skills Center, the Student Tutors Program is also very helpful. We have Student Tutors for all of our courses and writing in general, and students can be put in contact with them whenever they need. Also, if students need, they can schedule meetings with one of our school’s counselors. I’ve never scheduled one before, but I know some friends that have, and they have good things to say about them! Teachers are also good resources: whenever you are struggling with a class, your teacher will be happy to meet with you as many times as needed to help you.

In general, I feel like student support on campus is really good, and adults work hard to teach us how to ask for help.

5. General campus culture? (collaborative/competitive/relaxed, etc.)
I guess it’s a really collaborative community. I won’t say that we do not have competition, because we do! But, from what I’ve got to experience, it’a a healthy one. People on campus are collaborative, and I love that about Milton. It feels natural too. It’s such a fun community with many uplifiting members, and so far I’m so happy I chose Milton to be my home for the next 4.

(sorry for any grammar mistakes or sentences that don’t make sense; I wrote this whole thing on my phone on my way to the airport)

3 Likes

Hi! I had a few questions,

• How will we be assigned our dorms?

• Do we choose our roomates

• Could you talk more about the room situation please?

• What math are most freshman doing?

Thank you!!!

Based on our child’s experience, you get your dorm assignment later in the summer. You will then be assigned a roommate. Midway through the year, everyone will then switch roommates based on feedback. The dorms seem to be a really cohesive unit. Aside from dorm dinners, they seem to rally around each other at school events. My child found it to be a very positive experience. As for math, it seems to be all over the map. They have their own breakdown which is a little different than Geometry/Algebra II/Pre-Calc but there are students starting at each of those. You have to keep in mind that since they have students from all over the world, not all are starting at the same place. They do like to ensure you have had ALL of the material they will cover before going on to the next level though. Based on your classwork and topics covered, they will place you accordingly. Hope that helps!

1 Like