Ask Almost Anything About UR!

Really, the main thing that substance-free housing tries to do is clump together students who happen to have an avid goal of abstinence. Not being in it should just put you close to a random distribution of the freshman student body including those like yourself and many more who really just didn’t care, and I don’t think it will have a major impact on you versus if you got substance-free housing.

It’s hard to judge which dorms would be best on any given year, and it’ll usually be subjective anyways. I will say that the general opinion is that first-year coed dorms and gendered dorms aren’t too different in terms of their environments. I personally kinda like LoRo over Dennis and Wood in terms of interior and proximity to D-Hall, but that’s just me. I heard from some people that Marsh was kinda weird this past year (some people said it was fine, though). I was in Dennis, and it was pretty good.

Personally, I had a perfectly fine experience and generally took stupidity more with amusement than anything else. When something stupid DID happened, it never really bothered me (or affected me, for that matter) and usually got spun into a fun conversation topic later on. In the end, your milage will depend on random selection and how you react to your environment. You’ll just have to see for yourself how it goes, I guess.

@MON824 thanks 4 the input. Let me ask you this- who is the ‘college fellow’ residing in Dennis, where does he live in Dennis and what does he do? I saw LoRo is popular but they have what looks to be thin drywall walls separating rooms- not the cinder blocks at Dennis which seem would insulate noise much better- and is being across from the bathroom/showers a negative ?

Not sure about the college fellow thing per se. I do know that the Arabic professor, Dr. Sulzer-Reichel, lived at Dennis last year, and I wouldn’t be surprised if that were his title. He seemed to be there mostly to facilitate RA’s with event planning and advertising as well as just trying different things for the students.

Correct on the walls. Not sure how noise-pertinent they are, though. Not really sure about how much of a negative (positive?) being right next to a restroom is. I lived around 3 doors down from a restroom and could hear showers. They were never obnoxious or anything, and I’ve never heard anybody complain about it. It was just never something I thought about. Maybe somebody else might have a more fleshed-out opinion.

@aero18 @MON824 Has given excellent advice on this! I’m female, so I don’t know much about the guys’ dorms. I will say that I applied for substance-free and also never got in it, but that I never really had an issue with that. I was in LoRo my freshman-year, when it was a girl’s only dorm, and never had a problem with noise level/sound bleeding.

A quick question about freshman dorms-
Can the bed be raised to it’s top level without lofting so that the dresser fits underneath?
Is there a standard width and height of the dressers and desks?
My daughter has an unconventional room shape, in Wood Hall, and we are wondering how it will all fit together.

@lalalander111 I’m pretty sure no. The dresser is 37.5" and I believe the supplied bed is 38" max (total height, not space below).

Check out this page for links to saudereducation.com that discuss the furniture in more detail, including standard width and height info:

https://residencelife.richmond.edu/housing/facilities/, question “What furniture is provided in my room/apartment?”

Just letting you know, I’m pretty sure my room came with a 42" x 24" x 30" secure drawer with an attached 40.25" x 14" x 37.5" 2-shelf study carrel, a 38.5" x 79.75" x 38" jr. loft bed, a 3-position seat that fits under the desk, a 29.5" x 20" x 37.5" 4-drawer chest, and a 18.25" x 19.5" x 24" 2-drawer rolling pedestal, all from Sauder Education and all of the Beechwood variety. Not saying 100% that that’s what you’ll get because I don’t know, but I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what I got.

Thnx @guineagirl96 -Do you know when Dennis was last renovated ? @MON824? There is a page on all dorm renovations in past 5 or so years but I can’t recall where I found it…

For Mon824 or GuineaGirl - my D in Wood Hall plans to loft her bed - does she need to put in a SchoolDude request now, or should that be done on moving day?

@ZimaHatBoy You mean the DormsDirect service? I personally don’t use it, but if you need a loft I’d recommend ordering while the early bird discount applies.

According to their FAQ’s, you can purchase it after you get to campus and they will try to make arrangements within 72 hours, but they say that they could take as much as 2-3 weeks. They highly recommend reserving beforehand and promise delivery and installation before freshman move-in day, so I see no reason to wait. Also, be sure to put your request in through Dorms Direct and not by trying to message the Campus Loft Guy, though feel free to ask him questions.

My DD was a freshman last yr. She wanted a raised bed just enough to put the drswrs under & store bins but not super tall with a ladder. We read it’s crazy $ to have that done. We moved her in expecting to find beds a normal height from the floor but literally all the rooms we peeked in and hers and every one of her friends rooms all were a,ready raised just as she wanted. This was in Moore. FYI. She thinks this is how they all are standard as kids need storage space.

Just wondering if we missed something.
Is there a way to send books, boxes from home, Amazon stuff etc. to school in time for pre-orientation (Sunday 8/19) pick-up?
I haven’t seen any address to use. Will they let us know soon?

@cloudysmom I’m going to be a first year in moore this year. What was your daughter’s experience with her room? Did she like it overall? And is it big enough where the desks can be facing the wall and not the bed or window?

@lalalander111 Student’s UR mailing address should be on bannerweb. Click on personal information, then view addresses and phones. The address you are looking for is URxxxx, 28 Westhampton Way, where xxxx is a 4-digit number specifying which PO it is. Not sure if it’s up yet- if it’s not, keep checking periodically.

@softballGeek She loved her room - it was huge! I don’t know if that is because it was on the 3rd flr or what but I will ask her when she gets home soon. Also there were less rooms as the hallway had windows all on 1 side so it was nice and bright & only 1 side with rooms. She had an alcove which is really just a dormer they put the microwave cart in there and food items. Yes - both girls had desks facing the wall. Her roommate got there 1st as she went through orientation but she wanted all her stuff - bed, desk, all against 1 wall so my DD used 2 walls - bed on 1 and desk & shelves on the other. Oh there are 2 built in pretty good sized closets and 1 stand alone wardrobe. Her roommate got that & so DD had 1 closet & they shared the other - coats, umbrellas, boxes, really whatever. The dormer window was the only window.

What is the obstacle course structure in the back by the new lacrosse field? It’s wooden and high up in the air. Can any student use it or is it part of an athletic team’s conditioning?

@Propinquity4444 Google is your friend. :slight_smile: Search Challenge Discovery on UR’s website.

We took the tour twice and both times the library was included - one time we needed to stop in the lobby area and the other we walked through.

Hi, Do you know what the ED 1 and ED2 acceptance rates were for the most recent class? Also the stats of those accepted ED?

@citymama9 My apologies, for some reason I didn’t see your post until now! Unfortunately, I don’t know those stats. They may not have been published yet (if they are at all).