Ask Almost Anything About UR!

@mom2thrie I’m sorry your son got dissapointing news. Neither of my kids were in the Greek system by choice and they found their social niches. My eldest was lucky to connect to some girls from orientation and then added friends over the years through various programs like sophomore scholars and attending events for her major. My middle is currently a freshman. He made some great friends through the Super Smashbrothers club. He also made friends by showing up at the gym and just playing basketball. Now he has an inter mural team. I know it took him a few tries to find his people but they were out there. I hope your son finds the same connection.

@mom2thrie , has your son considered applying to a Sophomore Scholars in Residence (SSIR) program for next year? My daughter is applying for one, and the SSIRs seem like a great way to build a close relationship with a group. The deadline to apply is Feb. 6, so maybe he should look at the different topics and see if one or more are of interest to him.

@mom2thrie Our S made lots of friends by playing ultimate frisbee. He’d never played in his life, and said they take everyone. Some of the frisbee boys are in one frat, which our S was planning to join, but because of low grades due to too much socializing and not enough work, we didn’t allow him to rush. Anyway, maybe he could go try frisbee? They can rush again next fall.

How is the History program at UR? And also, is there a easy way to visit Lynchburg from there without a car?(i have a close friend that lives there)

@mickimchi I don’t know much about the history program at UR, but I’ve heard good things about it. Hopefully someone who knows more about the program will chime in.

With regards to visiting Lynchburg, I would look into whether Amtrak is feasible. There is a station not far from campus (can take a taxi, uber, or get a ride from a friend), and I believe there’s one in Lynchburg, but not sure if there’s any direct trains between the two.

My S got his FA package from UR this week. He received the Presidential Scholarship and a grant. However, he sent an arts supplement, hoping for a possible scholarship from the Music Dept, but hasn’t heard anything. Would that have been included in the FA package, or will it come at a later date?

i got my FA package on the first, it was good

@Propinquity4444 Did your son submit the application for the music scholarships (https://music.richmond.edu/scholarships/application.html)? Those who are being considered for music scholarships would be invited to campus for an audition in March/April, based on their arts supplement. Not sure if they are still accepting applications for the scholarships; I would submit the form and email the department chair to ask. More information on the scholarship requirements here: https://music.richmond.edu/scholarships/index.html. Note that the scholarships are only for those that are interested in majoring or minoring in music.

@guineagirl96 Yes, he submitted that. I don’t think he submitted in time for Richmond Scholars, but he met the deadline for the music department scholarship.

Any tips for the Scholars video interview is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

IS there a group chat for admitted students for 2023?? How do I find roomates

im wondering too^

Also, I am not going to be drinking or be affiliated with Greek life during my undergrad, will I be ok at Richmond?

@TheJoon Not sure if there is a group chat, but there is a facebook group. In regards to Greek life, you can totally not participate and no one will care. I didn’t drink at all or go to any frat parties (didn’t even know where the lodges were until my senior year) and neither did a fair amount of my friends and didn’t feel like I was missing out on anything.

@Blore2023 Sorry for the delay in responding. The best advice I can give is to try to relax and be yourself. Give them your true answer to any questions they don’t ask, not the answer you think they want. Most of what they’ll ask doesn’t have a right answer; they want to get to know you.

@guineagirl96 I am an international applicant and I have applied ED2 to UR. I heard that some international students had already received their admissions letter on Feb. 11. However, I didn’t get any news from UR. Does that mean he is either deferred or rejected? Does UR release all the notifications at the same time?

@guineagirl96 how about diversity? I have been seeing lots of negative comments about the unwelcoming of diversity atmosphere in U of R…

im also worried about the diversity at UR

Can anyone get me into contact with a religious student attending Richmond?-Christian-Protestant. I wanna ask them some questions

I can’t (for the life of me) figure out merit aid. The scholars have been notified, but are there small merit aid awards the first week of March? I would be thrilled if D19 received $10k as we don’t qualify for Fin. Aid. I don’t understand the scholars vs. random smaller merit aid awards and her letter mentions merit aid in March. Thank you for any help.

Hi everyone, I’ve been accepted into Richmond with the Presedential scholarship of 18230 USD a year. I wanted to know exactly how good the Business school is in terms of Jon opportunities and the programme in general when you compare it to other business schools at IU,Babson,NC Chapel Hill, Ohio State, BU,etc.

I’m battling IU(not a direct admit to Kelley),Ohio State(direct admit you Fisher) and Robins(UR’s very own) in order to choose where I should attend university.