Ask Questions about A&M Here (BIMS, etc.)

When you get to NSC your classes are already scheduled and you don’t have any choices? When do you schedule 2nd semester? Are you allowed to take any extra classes that don’t count towards your degree?

No, your classes are not already scheduled prior to NSC. You will sign up for your classes during NSC. You will meet with advisors & get a suggested course guidance but the final decisions are yours to make. Course sign ups will open at a certain time during your NSC & everyone will scramble to input their preferred classes on the school computers. You sign up for 2nd semester prior to the end of the first semester (they are starting to sign up now for fall). You can take additional courses, but need to be aware of maximum credit limits, and being able to graduate on time if you’re on scholarship.

Do you think a BIMS major has time for Concert Band?

Where have you heard of biomed students typically going to med school? Have you heard of any going to some of the best med schools in the country?

I’m going to be applying to A&M in the fall and I’m still trying to decide between animal science or BIMS. I want to eventually apply for vet school. Any suggestions?

hi! i am a high school junior from NY, i am extremely interested in attending TAMU but one this keeps bothering me. I have been told by many people the the campus is EXTREMELY conservative, and because of this they students aren’t really accepting of other views such as out of staters (like me from NY, definitely not conservative lol) and, one example i have heard a lot is the students opinion of gay student. In your opinion, and maybe from what u have seen or heard from friends etc. do u think that the students are accepting of gays and to another extent out of staters. and also i have heard UT austin’s liberalness is like the polar opposite of TAMU’s conservativeness, or is that just talk and the campus is accepting. tell me the raw truth haha

haha sorry for the novel^

Is the rodeo team still active?

Yes, here’s the link http://atmrodeo.tamu.edu

@NYguy09 Here’s what I posted yesterday. For some reason it went into CC as posted yesterday and reappeared today as a draft. Sorry for the confusion.

There were quite a few threads on these issues in 2013-14. I’ll let you look for them.

FWIW, my son is an Aggie engineering freshman now from Arizona. His best friend is from upstate NY

@beaudreau I think CC is not too sure of the validity of that account. The writing style is also very similar to another old poster with the same topic, almost wonder if it is someone who just enjoys ‘stirring the pot’ versus an honest inquiry.

@AGmomx2 Thanks!

I have been accepted for Fall 2015. Majoring in BIMS. I will be living on campus, in Honors housing. My question is parking/automobile. Do I need a car at all? My parents say no, but I think my classes for BIMS will be in the Vet buildings and they are far away, but I’m not positive where my classes will be held so IDK. Thanks in advance for information!

If you live on campus, most people don’t drive to classes. They take the campus bus, ride a bike/skateboard, or walk. Your car would be parked in your assigned lot so you’d walk there, then you’d need to find a lot to do daily parking/pay parking and again walk from there- not worth the effort. Vast majority of students do bring cars here - to use off campus (shopping, eating out, meeting up with friends,activities) and to commute home. Mine also used theirs for storage of items that didn’t fit in their dorm rooms freshman year. You can survive without a car, there are also off-campus buses that go to various places but long distance commuting is very limited (assuming you’re from Austin, there isn’t transportation service to/from Austin) but you can always catch a ride with someone. Most people that drive to campus for classes live off campus.

** This thread hasn’t been answered by the OP since Feb., so if you’d like more input just post your questions in the regular forum**

What English classes does BIMS need? Will BIMS accept a C for dual credit English or will you need to retake it?